Rv Shades

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by jmcf46, Jun 28, 2013.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

I met a guy who was restringing his shades in his rv. He told me in no uncertain terms to have them all the way up when traveling to put less pressure on the strings. I do not know if this is true. Anyone know if it's better one way or the other? I sure would not like to restring a shade after seeing him try to do it without a lot of swearing, lol.

Jim

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We put ours all the way up when traveling, but only for visibility. I've never heard anything about putting pressure on the strings.

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Restringing when one breaks is not terribly difficult, if you either draw a diagram of what your doing before you take it apart or take a good photo. I redid 5 or 6 of mine over the years. Traveling up or down I don't think makes any difference in the blind tension on the strings, but could be wrong? If you feel better, leave them up. Planning ahead and finding a source for strings before yours break is a pretty smart move. Put a package of string in a drawer so when you need it you have it.

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

One of the main reasons the strings fray and break is the sharp edges where they pass through the metal parts. Make sure the grommets are in place. If you want to save some time in restringing them, line up a divorce attorney first. We got a guy to redo ours for $70 each including all supplies. I believe many RV makers are getting away from the day night shades.

5. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Not sure about the tension, but my brother likes to travel with his shades down on his TT to keep the inside cooler. I prefer to travel with the shades up on my TT. I have hade to restring one shade, but I don't think it had anything to do with whether I traveled with the shades up or down.

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 29 2013, 06:28 AM) [snapback]33964[/snapback]

...If you want to save some time in restringing them, line up a divorce attorney first...

Oh Lindsay, I have wondered about this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Have a couple "droopy" shades now, after 7 years of full timing. The small one, in the bedroom, I may attempt. But the multi-stringed marvel at the dinette is worth paying someone, IMHO.
    The "cat's cradle" string system is one thing. I am more concerned with all the window surrounds!
    :ph34r:

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I have restrung all the day night shades in here and it is no big deal for me BUT I was also a mechanic for 30 years. Here's a link to parts like string and so on.

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/RV-Day-Night-Shade-s/134.htm

Instructions for small shade

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/v/vspfiles/ins-rv-restring.html

4 shade string diagram

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/v/vspfiles/ins-rv-4string.html

2 string diagram

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/v/vspfiles/ins-rv-2string.html

video on doing this

http://www.fixmyblinds.com/v/vspfiles/video-rv-restring.html

I hope this helps

8. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Mine have plastic tabs at the bottom that keep them from moving around. I put the shades in those while travelling to keep it cooler.

9. Full-Timer RV'er

Full-Timer RV'er
    Expand Collapse

I resolved this problem the easy way... I have been a seamstress for over 25 yrs.. So we took all the blinds, boxes, etc out and I made custom curtains and tie backs for all the windows. It makes cleaning easier.. The coach seems more homie, in my opinion... The curtains also help to insulate against heat and cold...

10. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I changed my shades to MCDs. I put the day shade down and that keeps the heat out and I can see out still but only on the passenger side.