Single axle limitations

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by FRC, Jan 4, 2022.

1. FRC

FRC
    Expand Collapse

We’re considering a trip out west to Utah in our small 20ft trailer, roughly 3500 miles round trip. I hesitate going due to the fact that the trailer only has one axle. Is that a legitimate concern?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

As long as the axle and tire weight ratings are adequate for the trailer, it should not be any more concern than the single axles on your tow vehicle.

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I would not think that one axle on the trailer would be a limiting factor for a fun trip. Having the tires inspected for age or abnormal wear and aired up correctly would be the thing I would do. Go have fun.

4. FRC

FRC
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your feedback. Trailer is only six yo and I just put new tires on it. We’re new to rving and loving it but a little apprehensive about our first long haul. God bless and safe travels

NYDutch likes this.
  5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Ive only owned one trailer, and believe most are pretty bullet proof. The only thing ive seen that can fail on a trailer are the tires and the wheel bearings. Have these checked before leaving, and you should have a great time.

Be sure to have a spare tire for the trailer. Specific trailer tires can be hard to find sometimes.

6. FRC

FRC
    Expand Collapse

Bearings. Good reminder. I’ve seen fire and smoke before on my boat trailer. Not pretty. Thank you sir

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

On the subject of bearings, the unused 2017 Jayco Jayflight that we purchased last fall I plan to have the bearings serviced this coming spring along with the weight distribution set up with my new truck

I think my tires will be okay and I do plan to have the leaf spring suspension & breaks inspected.

Mike

Rollin Ollens likes this.