Slideout education

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Fitzjohnfan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Hi folks, in the next month, financing willing, we will be upgrading our old motorhome to a newer one. I've never owned a rig with slideouts since my last coaches were a 1991 Allegro Bay, and our current 1989 Southwind.

We are looking at class A coaches with dates around 2000-2005. When looking at these coaches, I can get an idea of problems with the engine, plumbing systems, roof, etc. But I don't know what to look for on the slide(s). Should they always move freely, make any noises, anything with them that would be a deal breaker in purchasing a used unit?

Thanks,
    Chris g.

P.s. if you know of any coaches for sale you can PM me.

Paythebill likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Fitz - - -We have a full length driver's side slideout on our coach and we have never had any problems with it to date. I have talked with several techs and "folks in the know" regarding what to watch for with a slideout and all of them have said to keep it serviced at least once a year and unless you know what you are doing, to have it done professionally. Use a good slideout grease too. They also said to listen for any noises or "bumps and grinds", that are heard when the slide is going out or coming in as it should move in and out smoothy and without any noises other than those that are natural when the slide is moving. I have always leveled the coach prior to putting the slide out and the reason for that is if you don't get leveled first then the slide is having to go out on an angle either up or down, depending on which side it it's on, and that can be tough on the slide rails and supports. Makes sense to me so that's how I do it. Also make sure and put the parking brake on before operating the slideout. When you look at your next coach make sure they operate the slideout/slideouts and have it/them checked and serviced thoroughly, and listen to the slideout as it moves in and out for those unnecessary noises that shouldn't be there. Hope this little bit of info helps..............

Travel safely always, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and Onemoretrail like this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Banks, for all the info! Didn't know about the professional servicing, so I'll need to check on that B4 purchase. Also wasn't sure about being level before sliding out, but it makes sense.

--chris. G.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------------
    As for having the slideout serviced by a pro, it can of course be done by yourself if you know what you are doing and where to apply the grease and what to look for when doing so, etc. Personally I simply didn't care to get into doing stuff like that myself, hence I take mine to a shop when the slide needs servicing. There's a special slideout grease I believe it is a lithium based type and is white in color that you can buy at any good RV supply store and I'm sure a few others on the forum that have serviced their own slides will jump in here and add to what I've said so far................

Regards, Terry............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Bank Shot is correct. The rail lube is lithium based. We service our slides ourselves and have been since our coach was new. It is nine years old now and we have never had any problems. We grease the rails twice a year and at the same time we apply a slide seal dressing (spray on silicone) also sold at most RV stores. We full time so our slides move quite often. I am not sure if there is a manufacture recommended schedule for servicing though. FYI, since new, our slides squeal when moving in our out. I don't know if that is normal, but I feel comforted by the sound as it tells me the seals are still tight. Oh, and we can not operate our slides unless the park brake has been applied plus there is a lock out (key operated) switch that must be engaged before the actual slide switch can be activated. We also make sure the coach has been leveled before moving the slides.

Darrell

#5 Rollin Ollens, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Paythebill likes this.
  6. Kirk49

Kirk49
    Expand Collapse

There are manufacturer slide-out maintenance videos on YouTube for various brands.
    The slide in our 2017 Forester is a Schwintek. I was surprised to learn for our slide that they recommend NOT lubricating the rails but specific points behind the seals with a specific lubricant.
    To find info on Schwintek slides search Lippert University.
    Since the slides are installed in a level factory environment it only makes sense to level the RV before extending them.

7. LukeLaurie

LukeLaurie
    Expand Collapse

very interesting

8. robertmarviny

robertmarviny
    Expand Collapse