Suggestions places to stay for medical reason in Birmingham, Al

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Skymessenger, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

I am a pastor in Southern Alabama. First, I want to make it clear I do not want a handout. I would like suggestions on the best way to go about this matter. Please share your opinion on this matter.

One of our church members is on a transplant list. We are getting closer to getting the call to go to Birmingham for the surgery. We are not sure of how long he will remain in Birmingham. Does anyone know of any places where we could stay in our camper for a reasonable price? In fact we want the family to stay there.

I would like to find a solution and take care of it. We have six hours to get to Birmingham once we receive the call. So the question is what will be the best way to handle this matter. Thanks.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I see you have not gotten any replies yet, so if you have not yet received the call to go to Birmingham maybe I can offer at least a little advice. I did a search for parks within 25 mi of Birmingham. We do not seem to have a lot of parks listed in the area, and I do not know how far out of the city you are willing to stay. Some of the places you might look at would be Birmingham South Campground, Hoover RV Park, Oak Mountain State Park, Tennehill Ironwork Historical State Park, and Cherokee Campground. The best thing to do is to look up these places on our website and see if they have the facilities and rates you would like. Then I suggest you call the ones you are interested in and explain your situation. Perhaps they might be willing to work with you on having a spot available for you when you get the call to go to Birmingham.

Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe this will get you started. And perhaps some of our other members will have some suggestions.

3. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Texasrvers, I appreciate you checking these places out for me. I already search and call some of these parks. I believe one will come available for us. You were a big help.

Happy Camping to you...

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Did you call the hospital. When I had to go to Johns Hopkins, they had a whole department to help you find housing for long term stays. I had the good fortune to find a campground who was just planning on setting aside a couple spots for Hopkins patients. I was their first long term stay. They do not allow any stay longer then two weeks other then about 10 units by county rules. The upshot is the hospital might have a place that they have a deal with already in place.

5. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

Thank you John for responding. There is a changed in the date of the surgery. I truly appreciate the help in this matter. Everything has been taking care of. Happy camping!

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for letting us know. Hope everything goes well.

7. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Hope it all works out well.

8. Nineoaks

Nineoaks
    Expand Collapse

My wife had 2 eye operations in Birmingham, we stayed at Oak Mountain State Park (about 20 minutes from The UAB hospital, and really loved it there, we stayed with them for 4 trips, being a State Park the price was good and the staff are great, also clean bathrooms and good sites.
    campground info:
    200 Terrace DR.
    Pelham Al. 35124
    PH: 205-620-2527
    Hope this helps....and hope everything goes ok

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We stayed here for several days and agree that it is a very nice park. I don't know if it has maximum length of stay restrictions, however.