Surge Protector

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pkd31780, Oct 11, 2012.

1. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

HELP! Leaving tomorrow for our last weekend and the surge protector green light is out! No shore power. Any ideas?

2. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pkd31780 @ Oct 11 2012, 08:32 PM) [snapback]31536[/snapback]

HELP! Leaving tomorrow for our last weekend and the surge protector green light is out! No shore power. Any ideas?

Sounds tome that the circuit breaker on the pedestal tripped. Check that first. If not the breaker, notify campground personel

3. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

We are at home and plugged it into a garage outlet. Noticed we had no power when the microwave didn't kick in after 3 minutes. There is usually a green light on the surge protector in the RV that is lit and it isn't.

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ Oct 11 2012, 07:02 PM) [snapback]31537[/snapback]

Sounds tome that the circuit breaker on the pedestal tripped. Check that first. If not the breaker, notify campground personel

4. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Check the circuit breaker in your house to make sure it has not been tripped? How about
    the circuit breaker on the converter in the coach? It may not look tripped, but push it all
    the way to the left til it clicks and then all the way back to the right til it snaps into place.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

By pass the surge protector.

6. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

Circuit breaker was checked and is ok. I don't see anything ON the surge protector to reset it. By pass the surge protector.....it looks permanentlymounted?

7. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

DUH and double DUH! The outlets in our garage the cord was plugged into blew! Lesson learned for sure. Thank you for your help and ideas.

8. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

YouQUOTE(pkd31780 @ Oct 12 2012, 07:10 AM) [snapback]31542[/snapback]

Circuit breaker was checked and is ok. I don't see anything ON the surge protector to reset it. By pass the surge protector.....it looks permanentlymounted?

You are correct, of course. I meant to type FOR the surge suppressor. Glad you got it fixed.
    We hope you have a safe and happy trip.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I just noticed that one plug on my 50 to 30 amp adapter is black and burned after our recent trip. Obviously something happened, but I had no damage to my coach. Thank you surge protector.

10. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Oct 12 2012, 06:15 PM) [snapback]31551[/snapback]

I just noticed that one plug on my 50 to 30 amp adapter is black and burned after our recent trip. Obviously something happened, but I had no damage to my coach. Thank you surge protector.

Any idea what caused that, LR? That could have been an expensive experience

11. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Um..... you probably should replace the plug in. Easy, the RV repair place just saws off the plug in end, and gives you a new end, but of course, they will take six inches off your cord when they do that.....

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Oct 12 2012, 05:15 PM) [snapback]31551[/snapback]

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I can't afford to lose 6". Actually it is on my adapter. We have a 50 amp. I also a 50 amp surge protector that plugs into the cord and then a 50 to 30 amp adapter for the 30 amp parks and then a 30 to 20 adapter for plugging in at home. It was on the 30 amp end of the 50 to 30 amp adapter that plugged into the 30 amp at the park. I will probably just buy a 50 to 30 amp adapter this one is 6 years or so old and they are only about $20. I am a huge fan of surge protectors.

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

If the burned prong is on your adaptor, then yes, buy a new adaptor. One burned prong is a problem.

14. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Oct 12 2012, 05:15 PM) [snapback]31551[/snapback]

I have had to replace two or three of those dogbones over the years because the 30-amp end overheats and starts melting the plug. It's probably caused by corrosion in the 30-amp park receptacle. And/or corrosion on the prongs of the dogbone.

On the plus side, it doesn't pose a danger to your rig. Your surge protector can't tell that the plug is burning. The worst that can happen is that the park pedestal is damaged, as well as your adapter.

15. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lindsay,

I'm sorry but the burned prong most likely has NOTHING to do with the surge suppressor. It does have to do with overloading and a poor connection. See if you can clean it up with sandpaper. If not, replace it.

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Oct 12 2012, 06:15 PM) [snapback]31551[/snapback]

16. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The plastic is burned and the prong also. I think I will just replace it. Had it for a long time. I will probably give Nancy a new one for Christmas. She will be thrilled.

17. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Oct 15 2012, 08:50 PM) [snapback]31588[/snapback]

The plastic is burned and the prong also. I think I will just replace it. Had it for a long time. I will probably give Nancy a new one for Christmas. She will be thrilled.

What a prince!

An old friend of ours once gave his wife a trolling motor for her birthday.

18. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

She didn't like the new vacuum I got her last year.