Temporary RV Storage

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Mike & Ruth, May 3, 2022.

1. Mike & Ruth

Mike & Ruth
    Expand Collapse

Hi, We are looking to do a cruise out of New York (Liberty Harbor) in August for 9 days. We are having difficulty with where we can securely store our 39 - foot RV motorhome for that time period. Happy to travel an hour out of NY but to date not sure where would be a good place. Being from Australia doesn't help either. Naturally, we don't want to be trapped in NYC with our rig but having a tow car means we can get to the harbor and store that without any problems. Has anyone got any suggestions on what we might be able to do? Happy to consider an RV park that may have an area suitable for what we want to do but again we are totally unfamiliar with the area. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Im not from the area, so can't offer specific suggestions, but you might try calling RV parks in the area and see if they have an "overflow" or storage area you can utilize for free or low cost.

We had a situation im my area last year where we would be at an RV park for a few days, then leave for a week and come back the next weekend. The RV park allowed us to park in an unused space for $10.00/day. Was much cheaper than paying for the gas to drive the motorhome back and fourth.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Have you called liberty Harbor? I think they own the connecting business https://www.libertyharbormarina.com? I might be worth to give them a call to see if you can drive your rv to the next lot and see if you can do a storage agreement? I'm going to guess because it's August the lot might be not very full as most of the boats will be in the water.

Also I have been to Liberty Harbor and I noticed they had a high volume of out of country Rvers so please be careful to read their posted policies.

Mike

4. Mike & Ruth

Mike & Ruth
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Chris & Mike - I will investigate your suggestions. I'm a little worried about driving into NYC although maybe in NJ it won't be as bad. I do note an RV park nearby to Cape Liberty (very expensive) on the NJ side and so I guess getting around there isn't that bad. I'll also look for a more reasonably priced RV park on the outskirts of the city maybe even up to an hour or so away, that may allow us to park the RV as Mike has suggested, in their overflow area. If anyone has any suggestions on such parks, please let us know. Thanks heaps again.

5. Mike & Ruth

Mike & Ruth
    Expand Collapse

I just looked at the Liberty Harbour Marine site, Mike .... that is also the Liberty Harbor RV park as well and I have already contacted them and they couldn't help me. So it's back to looking for more options.

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That's a shame they couldn't accommodate you.

The driving is easier if you look for a RV Park/storage going I78 west from Liberty Harbor as it's mostly straight busy highway. I would not recommend going I78 east from Liberty Harbor as I believe the Holland Tunnel has Rv restrictions and also I would stay away from the George Washington Bridge which I believe is also east of Liberty Harbor.

We've stayed at Liberty Harbor about 7 yrs ago if you have any further questions

Mike

#6 mdcamping, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  7. Mike & Ruth

Mike & Ruth
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Mike - I have sent out a few emails to a couple of RV parks within an hour of Cape Liberty and so I'll see what response they give. Any further suggestions are always welcome.

mdcamping likes this.