Tiny Ants

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jmcf46, Mar 13, 2012.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

Got these very tiny ants in the rv. What type are they and how do I get rid of em?

I sprayed home defense around the rv and placed ant traps inside but they are still around.

Help!
    Jim

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We found a product that Combat makes that works. It comes in something that looks a bit like a small caulking gun or syringe. (They make one for roaches also). It is a clear gel and you put out about an inch of it in a few spots where you see them. They are drawn to it, eat it and go home and before long the entire nest is gone. It is not always easy to find the kind for ants but worth looking for.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We've found a product called "Terro Liquid Ant Baits" to be very effective against ants, including those little tiny ones. You won't see many ants in the plastic bait shell itself, because they ingest the liquid and then carry it back to the nest where it kills more ants and the queen. Our local hardware store carrys them, and I think I've also seen them at Walmart.

4. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Mar 13 2012, 08:49 AM) [snapback]29025[/snapback]

We've found a product called "Terro Liquid Ant Baits" to be very effective against ants, including those little tiny ones. You won't see many ants in the plastic bait shell itself, because they ingest the liquid and then carry it back to the nest where it kills more ants and the queen. Our local hardware store carrys them, and I think I've also seen them at Walmart.

I used to get those little "sugar ants" in my house a couple of times a year. I had a lot of success using a solution of 1/2 ammonia and 1/2 water. I'd spray the ants directly and it would kill them immediately. Most importantly, it would disrupt the ants' "scent track" so the new ones wouldn't follow the track into the house. I'd give the kitchen counters and back splash a good spraying and then wipe it up. Since I do a lot of cleaning with ammonia anyway, it was "two steps in one" for me. Cheap, too.

5. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

I don't give insects a chance to invade my RV. I use Sevin-5 Ready-To-Use 5% Dust around my RV if I am staying a week or longer in grass/gravel/asphalt sites with an insect problemo. (Won't harm grass).
    I'm currently in Vegas and just applied some this morning near the outside back of my RV where a red fire-ant hill was active. Within an hour of application, anthill now inactive as those suckers were neutralized.
    Has worked for me for years.....just might work for you.

6. ratracer

ratracer
    Expand Collapse

Had an ant infestation a couple of weeks ago, in southern Alabama. The Hosts at the COE park gave me a can of the seven dust. It slowed them down, but did not cure the problem. I had to use a garden hose spray, available at WalMart, which is used as a perimeter spray around houses. I sprayed the whole pad! I believe it stopped the critters from comming in, but it still took us a week of Raid spray and bait traps to get rid of them. We had to be careful, as we were traveling with two cats. Did not want anything that would cause them to get sick!

7. MooreTrails

MooreTrails
    Expand Collapse

Jim, I don't know where you are located. So I am going to throw this info out there. In the Houston, Texas area (and surrounding counties) a new ant has been identified. They are called Strawberry Crazy ants. They are very hard to get rid of. Part of their name comes from the man that IDed them "Strawberry" and their apparent lack of organization "Crazy." They don't follow one another as "normal" ants do, they just go willie-nellie. Try this link for some official info...http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/rasberry.html

Good Luck, Mike