Travel Date Internet?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MojitoLady, Apr 23, 2022.

1. MojitoLady

MojitoLady
    Expand Collapse

Hello All RV Life Friends!
    My first time posting and asking a question. I need a good reliable wifi/internet while traveling. The free wifi at campgrounds is not secure and just too weak (although, I very much appreciate it's even provided and free at that) and I need my phone too much to use a hotspot. There are so many options out there but to narrow it down I've been reading the reviews on a service called Travel Data. Similar to Nomad, however, TD's customer service seems much better and their plans are much more affordable. But before I jump in, I wanted to reach out to my RV Life Friends for any feedback or suggestions. I am not looking to buy multiple sim cards, that is not feasible for me. I need reliable wifi for downloading files and streaming and doesn't manage or throttle. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I have been using a mobile wifi device for a number of years now. I began with AT&T but we discovered that their service was very poor in many areas even though their map appeared to cover more area that others. We traveled mostly in the west and many places we visited had no or very poor reception. We switched to Verizon and, although not as good as we expected, it was still far better than AT&T. We paid a few dollars per month more but at least we had a service that was more reliable.

We are retired so "great" service is not critical. We have friends that operate a business while on the move and they have a satellite service. They are very pleased but I'm, sure that type of service will be pricey.

If you are primarily going to be east of the Mississippi I think any of the big four will be able to cover your needs. FYI, Our experience does not cover east of the Big Muddy but I am sure others will be chipping in with their experience. I'm including a link that discusses coverage for the big four if it will help you. https://www.letstalk.com/cellphones/guides/best-coverage-map/#att

Good luck. Let us know which way you go.

Darrell

3. MojitoLady

MojitoLady
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Darrell! I always appreciate any advice and help!!

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

If you are a member of FMCA, you might want to look into their Sprint/Verizon MiFi. I'm not saying its good or bad, but lots of the members there have gotten it and received various results

Paythebill likes this.
  5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We travel mostly in the east now, and we've found having cell service with both AT&T and Verizon has worked well for us everywhere we've been. One or the other service has always been good, and many times both are acceptable. We use separate hotspots rather than our phones. Our AT&T unlimited data only service plan is no longer available, although we're grandfathered in at $23.50/mo. Our Verizon service is through their Visible division's unlimited talk, text, and data service at $25/mo with "Party Pay". We use it only for data, and the maximum speed is throttled to 5 Mbps which we find works reasonably well for moderate resolution streaming.

Paythebill likes this.