Travel Info

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Steve - 2015 Cardinal, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Steve - 2015 Cardinal

Steve - 2015 Cardinal
    Expand Collapse

Traveling from Meridian MI to Macon GA.....which route to take - I20 to Atlanta south on I75 to Macon OR Hwy 80 straight to Macon....Have a 43 ft fifth wheel. Also any recommendations on camp grounds halfway would be appreciated. We are from the Pacific NW. Not familiar with these roads at all. Thank you for your help in advance.

carlgutierrez likes this.
  2. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

I assume you mean Meridian MS (Mississippi) not Michigan (MI) to Macon, GA.

You won't have any problems either way. Both are good roads. The Southern route would be more scenic. Travel time is about the same either way.

If you go I-20, try to time your passage thru Atlanta in the middle of the day or at night. Avoid rush hour 7AM-9AM and 4PM to 6PM in both Birmingham and Atlanta. You probably want to take the I-285 bypass to I-75S in Atlanta, and I-459 in Birmingham. If taking this Northern route, there is a very basic stopover at Oxford, AL right off the interstate called "Scenic Drive RV Park". Nothing special, but good for a one night stop, full hookups.

If you take the Southern route, a good stop would be Auburn RV Park at Leisure Time Campground. The only problem would be if there is an event at the adjoining softball/baseball complex. Full hookups. If they are booked, try Chewacla State Park. Both are right off the interstate.

You won't have any specific problems going through Atlanta, the signage and roads are good, but you have a greater chance of being delayed by traffic problems. Personally, I would take the Southern route for ease of scheduling and a more scenic route.

#2 Bama Camper, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  3. Steve - 2015 Cardinal

Steve - 2015 Cardinal
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the reply.....yes I meant MS not MI.....my bad.