Traveling East from Ten Sleep through the Bighorn Mountains on Highway 16 to Buffalo, WY

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Paul Yakshe, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Paul Yakshe

Paul Yakshe
    Expand Collapse

I have some concerns about the steep inclines on the stretch of highway 16 going East from Ten Sleep to Buffalo, WY. Has anyone done this stretch of road and what was your experience?

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I have not driven that stretch of road, so i deferred to the internet. Here is a good description of the road and some comments from other RVers:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24097222.cfm

From the description, it looks like the grades are up to 6-7% in places and a couple of 25 MPH hairpin curves. I would be comfortable taking my 35' motorhome there with extra caution i use on any mountain roads. Use low or very low gears on the downhill grades to keep brake use to a minimum.

3. Paul Yakshe

Paul Yakshe
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, that was helpful information.

4. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Paul, have you tried looking them up on YouTube? I've had good success finding videos of questionable roads and grades last summer traveling to Florida from "Buffalo, NY" and early this season planning our cross-country trip from Buffalo.

Rollin Ollens and BankShot like this.