Traveling Internet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mrs_truesdell, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mrs_truesdell

mrs_truesdell
    Expand Collapse

im wondering about internet service traveling all over. not all campgrounds have free wifi so im wondering if any of you travel all over and always have wireless internet for your laptop who do you get service from and how much dose it cost?

2. IveyLeague

IveyLeague
    Expand Collapse

We carry a laptop with a Sprint integrated broadband card. If you have cellphone signal you have internet access. I have found that the speed can be a little slow depending on the cell signal, but you get the same results with a poor wifi signal as well. Pricing is between $59-79 a month depending on your plan.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

We now depend on wi-fi at parks only. For the past five years, we have had a DataStorm internet dish on top of the motorhome (initial investment $5,500 and $99 monthly) but we began having so many problems with equipment, with the satellite going offline, with speed, and with other problems associated with satellite internet, we junked it and installed a Radio Labs Long-Range USB wi-fi connection to pick up distant wi-fi signals. So far, we like it fine.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Currently, I use the WiFi at parks. However, I do keep a "dial up" service in the event the park doesn't have WiFi but has modem use in the office, or maybe "instant" phone hookups for $1 - $2 a day.

JJ

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Because I want "in motion" Internet access I will mostly likely purchase a "data card" from one of the major cell phone companies that works with a cradle point wifi router.

I will continue to use wifi at campgrounds but will purchase an antenna booster such as the one mentioned in the previous post.

I'll not be doing either until my wife retires in September, so I'll be keeping my options open until then.

QUOTE(mrs_truesdell @ Feb 3 2008, 07:40 PM) [snapback]10134[/snapback]

im wondering about internet service traveling all over. not all campgrounds have free wifi so im wondering if any of you travel all over and always have wireless internet for your laptop who do you get service from and how much dose it cost?

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Like IveyLeague, we carry a laptop. Ours is outfitted with a Verizon 'air-card' plug-in device to access broadband. Since our cel service is also Verizon, we enjoyed a small discount for the initial air-card purchase ($80.00), and monthly fee (69.99). Couple nice places we've stayed had no Verizon service (Virgin River, Utah and Aguanga Outdoor Resorts, Calf.)...only then have we had to wrestle with RV Park Wi-Fi idiosycracies.

Knew when we began this fulltimer adventure, would spend considerable time in places that had no Wi-Fi capability. Investigated a Data-Storm...am SO glad we tried the Verizon Air-Card first. The 6K savings spreds a loooong way @ $69.99/month. :p

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Want to thank all who have contributed to this subject. We have not made the leap to purchase a laptop and this information enlightens us to all the possibilities that are available. Thanks again.....

8. zingy

zingy
    Expand Collapse

My guy and I use our personal laptops all the time, him for his business, and me for pleasure and looking up RV park reviews. He's used a Verizon modem card for a while, and is thrilled with it. I had a Sprint wireless card, but it was slower than the old-fashioned dial-up service, that I willingly paid the $200 pentalty for early withdrawal to get a Verizon card, too. A friend who travels like us has an AT&T wireless modem card, and he gets on the internet more places than we do, with fast service like Verizon. If a RV park has free wi-fi, we've used them quite happily. You can check the speed of your modem connection at www.speedtest.net; poor connection speed is less than 1000 up or downloads.

9. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(zingy @ Mar 5 2008, 05:42 PM) [snapback]10562[/snapback]

...You can check the speed of your modem connection at www.speedtest.net; poor connection speed is less than 1000 up or downloads.

Hello Zingy and welcome aboard! B) Thanks so much for this site for a speed test!