Utah Dry Camping

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Travelinbandman, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Travelinbandman

Travelinbandman
    Expand Collapse

We are planning a trip to Utah in April, and we are interested in dry camping. We have only dry camped a couple of times, but with good success in national parks back east. Can I get some suggestions for dry camping around Capitol Reef and Moab (Arches and Canyonlands)? And, do I need to have concerns about leaving our TT unattended while we visit the national parks in both of those areas?

2. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Look Northeast along Hwy 128 out of Moab. Runs along the Colorado River. Gorgeous area. These are dry CGs (I think). They are not isolated because they are right beside the hwy, but well worth a look for the scenery. Best I remember they have fire pits and pit toilets, no power. May have a central water spigot. They are probably first-come-first-served. Drinks Canyon CG, Hittle Bottom CG, Lower Onion CG, Dewey Bridge. There may be some others across hwy 128, away from the river. These are isolated. Seems like I remember seeing some boondocking areas with pit toilets up those roads. The roads across from the river are dirt, but in good shape.

Even if you don't camp at one of these, take a drive up 128.

3. Travelinbandman

Travelinbandman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Bama. We have reservations at developed campgrounds in Kanab, UT and Dolores, CO for several nights, but I really wanted to do some dry camping for a few nights in between those two places. From what I read the dry camping areas out there are spectacular, but I do worry a little about safety. I'll do some research on the campgrounds you mentioned. Thanks.

4. sandiegoman

sandiegoman
    Expand Collapse

A great place in that area is KodaChrome basin state park. There is actually some running water and some flush but it is a special place and beautiful prior to Bryce. Also, don't miss out on that drive down into Grand Staircase Escalante. The road itself is worth it. It meanders down from the highlands through to the bottom of the staircase. Really spectacular.

5. Travelinbandman

Travelinbandman
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. We have reservations for several nights outside of Kanab and plan to drive that route. Thanks, again.