What Do You Expect In A State/county/city Park?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DXSMac, Jan 27, 2008.

?

What is the minimum you expect?

1. Expect to dry camp, grateful if hookups available

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sites should at least have elec, I can bring my own water.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. All sites should at least have elec and water

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. I expect my own sewer dump in addition to water and elec

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I expect WiFi and Cable (in addition to other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I WANT IT ALL!!!! (whatever that means)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Earlier, there was a thread on what people expected when they came to an RV Park. I'm starting this thread specifically for our expectations on State/County/City parks.

When I read a review of a State Park, I'm getting tired of reading reviews such as..... "It didn't have WiFi or Cable, give it a 2....." or...... "Didn't have a sewer dump at each site, give it a 1." (I can't say for certain that I read these "reviews" on this site, or on the two other review sites, just know that I saw them somewhere.....) It's ok to "mention" that there is no WiFi or Cable, but don't rate a State Park down because it doesn't have it! THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

In Washington State, NONE of the State Parks (and I'm sure this is also true of City or County Parks) have cable or WiFi. And, when I visit a state park, I do not expect this to be provided. Further, in Washington State, you are LUCKY if each site has a sewer hookup. Generally, in Washington State, you get electric (30 amp, 50 if it's one of the nicer parks...) and water. The sewer is in a "common" area on your way out of the park. You are also lucky if the pads are even paved! Or Level!

When I arrive at a State Park, my expectations are that I will dry camp, but if there are "hookup" sites available, I will say, "oh wow!" and politely request one. Further, when you visit a state park, those "experiences" are for you to "experience" the great outdoors, not to have Cable or WiFi!

So, what do we expect, as minimum, at Government funded parks?

JJ :blink:

2. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jan 27 2008, 04:37 PM) [snapback]10045[/snapback]

Earlier, there was a thread on what people expected when they came to an RV Park. I'm starting this thread specifically for our expectations on State/County/City parks.

When I read a review of a State Park, I'm getting tired of reading reviews such as..... "It didn't have WiFi or Cable, give it a 2....." or...... "Didn't have a sewer dump at each site, give it a 1." (I can't say for certain that I read these "reviews" on this site, or on the two other review sites, just know that I saw them somewhere.....) It's ok to "mention" that there is no WiFi or Cable, but don't rate a State Park down because it doesn't have it! THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

In Washington State, NONE of the State Parks (and I'm sure this is also true of City or County Parks) have cable or WiFi. And, when I visit a state park, I do not expect this to be provided. Further, in Washington State, you are LUCKY if each site has a sewer hookup. Generally, in Washington State, you get electric (30 amp, 50 if it's one of the nicer parks...) and water. The sewer is in a "common" area on your way out of the park. You are also lucky if the pads are even paved! Or Level!

When I arrive at a State Park, my expectations are that I will dry camp, but if there are "hookup" sites available, I will say, "oh wow!" and politely request one. Further, when you visit a state park, those "experiences" are for you to "experience" the great outdoors, not to have Cable or WiFi!

So, what do we expect, as minimum, at Government funded parks?

JJ :blink:

They may be "Gov. funded", but, don't you have to pay to stay there? Ergo, I expect some amenities.

3. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

If we have water and power them we are happy. We only stay two to three nights in this type of park anyway. Great place to get away to see the trees and wildlife. We have spent time in parks that have no hookup's and had no problems. We carry everything in motorhome, so we need very little outside that to be happy. :)

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

DXSMac> You mentioned that you were getting tired of reviews that downgraded the government managed C/Gs due to the lack of amenities found in commercial ones. Since there is a variety of experience on this website - some people like communing with squirrels and others like a concrete RV subdivision with maid service - I’d suggest that you’ll always have to filter opinions based on what you like.

I’d also suggest that there are remarkable differences between state, county, and city parks. It is absolutely not valid to lump them together in the poll. If one has stayed in all three on repeat occasions, then you know that there are tremendous differences based on which level of government agency manages each. It has been my experience that the higher the government agency, the lower the quality of management and service.

As an example, I have yet to RV in a county/city park that did not rate well enough for me to return to it. None were blessed with all of the amenities. But they were a value for the money, well managed, accommodated my size rig, and each said something positive and special about their community. Above all else, I enjoyed my stay. Perhaps I got lucky, but I cannot make that statement about state parks. Luck or not, there are about half of those state parks that I wouldn’t return to under any circumstance.

This is an excellent poll DXSMac, but with absolute and all due respect, the choices of WHY I use these campgrounds was a bit limited. Like most everyone else, I chose to check the “other” block.

What would be interesting is to know what the “other” reasons are from those who made a similar choice.

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I love community run, State, Provincial, and Federally run campgrounds. Their campsites mostly come with lots of space between sites--far more than any of the commercially run ones I've stayed in. What surprises me most is that some community ones are free. I count my blessings when that happens.

7. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I tend to agree with the general tone of RLM's reply - especially in regards to the second question (the reason why) in the poll. Like RLM, I am in the "other" category and believe you may have missed the most important reason - LOCATION. That could be further broken down into subcategories: Close to family or other personal interests, the park itself has something of interest, etc. Many state parks, for example, exist because of something of geological interest (Bruneau Dunes, ID, Palo Duro Canyon, TX, Starved Rock, IL). Additionally, many locals often use these types of parks as convenient, family fun getaways.

I'd also like to expand on the first question a bit. Using the word "expect" and some of the comments in your post implies that people show up at parks like these and, since they evidently have done no research, don't know what facilities the park has. That's why the commercial campground guides, the telephone, and sites like this exist. I know there can be circumstances when you may end up going into a park "blind", but that's why you should have, a the very least, a CG guide with you. In my experience, many public campgrounds have, at best, electricity. I can appreciate Silvana's take on this issue.

8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------
    So, what do we expect, as minimum, at Government funded parks? JJ :blink:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Got to hand it to you dear JJ. Great point of discussion! I too had to check 'other' for reasons to stay.

Sad to note that most California county, state, federal parks are poorly appointed by today's RV resort standards. We go/stay (if we can fit a 32-footer in) just to enjoy the natural resources, or to step back in time. Good news in Calif: most of the state/federal parks have private RV parks/campgrounds nearby to accomodate 20th/21st century RV rigs.

So we generally have a choice: park in a cool Redwood forest with electriciy only, or in nearby private-park with as many bells/whistles as money can buy...and take the tow-car for day trips thru the redwoods.

There are exceptions in CA: Anza Borrego Desert State park has been adopted by educational/local groups who have pumped some monies into facilities, 50-amp service, etc.

FYI: we are so used to the basic amenities/arrested decay in California state/federal parks...were BLOWN away by the sparkling, 50-amp, level pads, new bath/shower facilities found at Utah state/federal parks. Bottom line: each state/county/city wrestles with budget issues. Federal monies won't even keep the lights on at today's prices.

Ok...I'm ranting. Sorry folks. :eek:

9. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

But there's that word "expect" that keeps cropping up.

What do I expect when I go to a State/National park as far as amenities go?

Nada.

Nada dang thing.

I don't even "expect" that they'll have a spot big enough to hold my 15 ton rolling apartment building. Why should I? Just because I bought an RV I should expect everybody to have everything I need?

That's like someone walking into a Chinese restaurant and expecting them to bring you prime rib. It's a restaurant. They serve food. I eat food. So how come they don't have what I want?

Well, it just ain't that kinda' place.

You want prime rib? Then go to a place that has it. But don't go into a Chinese joint and then rate them poorly because you can't get a steak.

Likewise, if you want cable and a pool and sewer, et. al. go to a place that has it. As was mentioned previously, I can't think of any National Park that I've visited that didn't have a large selection of full-hookup,parking lot-type, RV resorts nearby. If that's your thing, go for it.

We're off to Yosemite next month. We've been there before. We know we're getting a space that's just big enough to hold our rig. And that's it. No water, no electric. Just pine needles and bears. That and one of the prettiest spots on the planet. If I want the other stuff, there are places in Mariposa or any number of little towns that have hookups. Or, I'll pony up and stay at The Ahwahnee.

We're going there because that's what we want. We want Chinese food on this trip. In August we're going to Carlsbad Caverns. So in southern NM in summertime, I'll be ordering the prime rib, thank you.

And some Chile Verde.

Oh, and btw DXSMac, what word(s) finishes the subtitle to the topic?

Maybe we could have a contest to finish the phrase "You ain't getting WiFi or cable and you're lucky to have your...." :D

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Jan 27 2008, 07:40 PM) [snapback]10050[/snapback]

I’d also suggest that there are remarkable differences between state, county, and city parks. It is absolutely not valid to lump them together in the poll. If one has stayed in all three on repeat occasions, then you know that there are tremendous differences based on which level of government agency manages each. It has been my experience that the higher the government agency, the lower the quality of management and service.

As an example, I have yet to RV in a county/city park that did not rate well enough for me to return to it. None were blessed with all of the amenities. But they were a value for the money, well managed, accommodated my size rig, and each said something positive and special about their community. Above all else, I enjoyed my stay. Perhaps I got lucky, but I cannot make that statement about state parks. Luck or not, there are about half of those state parks that I wouldn’t return to under any circumstance.

Good point! I have never stayed at City/County parks, only State parks. Guess I made an assumption that all Gov Owned parks were in the same category.

JJ

11. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Jan 28 2008, 01:02 PM) [snapback]10057[/snapback]

Oh, and btw DXSMac, what word(s) finishes the subtitle to the topic?

Maybe we could have a contest to finish the phrase "You ain't getting WiFi or cable and you're lucky to have your...." :D

Yeppers, the last part of my sentence got cut off.

Ok, GWBischoff, I take your challenge. I know what I WANTED to say. Let's see what people THOUGHT I was trying to say........

On the other hand..... I did read that some of the CA state parks were going to have WiFi. However, it's their "gee whizzy" parks in great locations. It's not in the interior parks.

JJ

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Jan 27 2008, 07:40 PM) [snapback]10050[/snapback]

This is an excellent poll DXSMac, but with absolute and all due respect, the choices of WHY I use these campgrounds was a bit limited. Like most everyone else, I chose to check the “other” block.

What would be interesting is to know what the “other” reasons are from those who made a similar choice.

From the higher number in the "other" category, I can see that there are other reasons than what *I* thought were good reasons to stay at a state/county park. For example, I hadn't considered the "to visit family and friends" factor.

My mom lives in a city with a very nice state park, open year round. However, I haven't tried to stay there because of the lack of public transportation from that park. I don't pull a car with me (too chicken!!!), and the location of the state park is a little far (16 miles) and involves travel on a street that is very busy for me to ride my little electric bicycle.

I don't know if you can "add to" a poll already started, if so, I'll try, but then those who already voted can't change their vote.

JJ

13. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I think you were way off on your assumtions about the parks and the reasons most of us use them. Personlly I don't stay any where that dosn't have eletric and water. If it dosn't have W&E you might as well boon dock some place.
    RLM wanted to know the reason. Our main reason we stay in any park is location.
    If they do not have wifi we use our cell phone hook up.

14. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

For me the major reason to stay in national parks or state/provincial parks are the nature programs they have, like a ranger guided walk or similar activities. We are never too old to learn something new!

15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wprigge @ Jan 29 2008, 07:52 AM) [snapback]10070[/snapback]

For me the major reason to stay in national parks or state/provincial parks are the nature programs they have, like a ranger guided walk or similar activities. We are never too old to learn something new!

Well, I can't "amend" the poll, sorry! Ok, it looks like "other" is the leading category for WHY people stay at State Parks, which translates to....... "don't make assumptions based on your point of view....." (which is what I did... SORRY!!!!)

JJ

16. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Here's my entry:

"You ain't getting WiFi or cable and you're lucky to have your...."

propane heater 'cause you'll freeze your #^!$ off in Yosemite in March with no hookups.

How's that?

17. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

gwbischoff> Rolling apartment. I like that. A local Chinese place that I frequent just started putting enchiladas on the buffet. What's with that? Maybe prime rib will be next.

My guess at finishing the statement would be….’rig level’

18. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Jan 29 2008, 04:52 PM) [snapback]10078[/snapback]

gwbischoff> Rolling apartment. I like that. A local Chinese place that I frequent just started putting enchiladas on the buffet. What's with that? Maybe prime rib will be next.

My guess at finishing the statement would be….’rig level’

:D

How else would you describe something that sleeps 8, has 4 TVs, 2 VCRs,3 radios and gets a good 8mpg?

I'm in the Property Management business here in Los Angeles, do you know what I can rent that for?!?

Chinese enchiladas? Sounds like my kinda' place. Tell me when the Prime Rib Foo Young is on the menu.

19. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I like staying at State Parks mainly because most are rustic and don't have "seasonals" or "permanents" ruling the park.

20. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Jan 29 2008, 10:46 AM) [snapback]10076[/snapback]

Here's my entry:

"You ain't getting WiFi or cable and you're lucky to have your...."

propane heater 'cause you'll freeze your #^!$ off in Yosemite in March with no hookups.

How's that?

That's better than what it was supposed to say!

JJ