WiFi at campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by garmp, Jul 27, 2022.

1. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

Reading a lot of reviews and checking availability of wifi I find it a bit misleading. As though written by an advertising guy. "Wifi is available!!! Don't tell you that it is only available at the camp store or office 6 miles away! I wish there was a selection area describing the availability. Like, only at the office/store, only near the shower houses, campground wide or only in loop A, B, etc.
    Besides our love for the outdoors my wife & I are both internet junkies. As we're constantly online planning/checking our next stop, searching for eateries, sights, etc.

thanks

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Noting that WiFi is only available in the office or store in a review is worthwhile, but subjective reviews from individual reviewers for park wide WiFi would be of little use in my opinion. The wide variety of equipment available means what works for me may not work for you without a full disclosure of the circumstances. My phone might be really poor for connecting to the park WiFi while your rooftop antenna and repeater gets a great signal. And of course what works on one site may not work at all on another site. As useful as knowing the WiFi status might be, accurately reporting it can be quite difficult.

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I no longer really care if the park has wifi as in many places it is worthless anyway or can't handle the amount of people in the park. I went with Starlink and will use that in all the parks we go to this winter.

NYDutch likes this.
  4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We're looking at Starlink, but so far our AT&T and Verizon based hotspots with unlimited data are doing the job for us at less than half the monthly cost for Starlink.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Grizzly Valley Bear

Grizzly Valley Bear
    Expand Collapse

We used to care, now we are grateful to be out of cell range and without internet. We plan everything in advance and play it by ear on departure. It's much more relaxing and it really puts things in perspective as to what is important and creates more adventures, but that isn't for everyone.
    That said, I don't have an internet based business or work online.
    I feel bad for those people, you pay good money at some of these RV parks and don't get what is advertised.
    I will keep gramp's post in mind when I do my reviews and include more detail for those things we don't really pay attention to.
    If you are reading this, and you travel in the Yukon, don't expect wifi or cell service at most camp grounds. Most don't have power, except a few of the larger private ones around Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Dawson, and Haines Junction. Hope that helps if your planning.