Your Pet's Rabies Vaccination Record

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by GandJ, Sep 27, 2012.

1. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

A question for those traveling with a pet (especially cats): Have you ever been asked by a campground owner or park personnel to show your pet's proof of rabies vaccination?

We've not ever been asked, but our cat's rabies vaxi certificate expires very shortly before we're due to arrive home next March. We're wondering if we are at risk of getting kicked out or not admitted to a park if we can show only a recently-expired certificate.

(Btw, our vet says that this short lapse will not put our geriatric, indoor, anti-social cat at risk)

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have been traveling with our cats (as many as 3 at some times) since 2000 and not once have we been asked for proof of vaccination. However, I always carry it with us, and I always tell the park that we do not let our cats out, even on a leash. They are strictly indoor cats. I wouldn't think an expired certificate would be a problem unless it is several months old, but you can never be sure. BTW, at our last vet visit we got the 3 year rabbies vaccination for our cats so now we don't have to deal with it so often. How old is your cat? One of ours is 15 and still doing well.

3. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We have travelled with cats fulltiming for 9+ years and never asked fopr vaccination records though they are up to date.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I only recall being asked once in many years of RV'ing if we had our dog's rabies certificate available. When I said yes and started to go get it out of the rig, the clerk said, no need, as long as we have it with us.

5. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

We are scheduled to go to Copake KOA in Copake NY, When making reservations they asked if we had a shots record and we told them we do. They said to bring them when we arrive. I have the record plus a Certificate of Health. I mainly keep them in case we go into Canada.

This is the only place we have ever been asked for a shots record. Don't know if they will actually ask for it when we arrve. Guess we will see.

BC

6. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

We have been asked a few time for our dogs shot records, especially in state parks.

7. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We have always kept our cat's innoculation records with us whenever travelling, but no one has ever asked about them. One time when I asked a US border agent if he wanted to look at them all he said was that he wasn't a vet and no thanks he wasn't interested. On another trip down to the States I mentioned this episode to another agent at the agricultaral inspection station and she said she would glady look at our cat's papers! Guess that was more interesting than checking out our fruit and veggies! Seriously, even though there hasn't been any interest in our cat's rabies or other shots; I would still keep those innoculations up to date and have the records ready for inspection.

8. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We have never been asked and we have a cat that has been badly abused in the past and he will definitely bite. We always tell people about him when we check in and let them know he is always on a leash. We try to be up front about him. He is a sweetie with us but we prefer people not pet him.

We manage a campground and have never asked anyone for proof of vaccination.

9. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

After I read the posts here, I noticed that some of the campground sites state that they want proof of the animals shot record. It was under the pet polices of the campground. I don't know if they actually check. I do know that the state parks we have been to check.
    It would probably be to your advantage to just bring the records with you.

10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I think that's kind of the point of this thread. We've been to hundreds of campgrounds over the years that say you must have your pet's rabies paperwork with you, but have never been asked to actually show it to anyone.

11. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 27 2012, 03:51 PM) [snapback]31290[/snapback]

... How old is your cat? One of ours is 15 and still doing well.

That 3-year rabies shot sounds like just the ticket for traveling pets! I'll have to see if they're offered here.

Our cat is "only" 14. As said, she is up to date on her vaxis. It's just that when we leave for winter trip it will be months too soon to get her rabies shot updated. Her vet record expires just a matter of days before we're due to return home.

Our preference (and probably the cat's preference, as well) is to bring her back to her own vet rather than taking our chances with one we don't know.

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe we just need to shorten our trip :)

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(GandJ @ Sep 30 2012, 03:37 PM) [snapback]31335[/snapback]

Her vet record expires just a matter of days before we're due to return home.

Then you should be fine.

Our preference (and probably the cat's preference, as well) is to bring her back to her own vet rather than taking our chances with one we don't know.

That is what we would do.

Maybe we just need to shorten our trip

I think you are joking, but really, if you will only be a few days away from getting home, what does it matter if a park says you can't stay there? Just go to another one.

13. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

I am at a campgournd that stated when I made reservations that I would have to have a record of shots for your dog. I told them no problem. I have a complete set of records.

Upon arrival they never asked me if I had a dog or if I had records.

Go there and if they ask you if you have a pet tell them. If they ask for shot records show them what you have. If they say the record has expired tell them you are on your way home and intend to get shots then. Most rabies shots are good for 3 years but many citys, countys require shots every year but the shots are not good today and not tomorrow only the records have an ending date.

FWIW
    BC

14. soos

soos
    Expand Collapse

we were asked to show vaccination records once. it was at a state park, maybe Ohio or PA. our cat is one who also bites. we do not let children pet him, no matter how much they want to.

As mentioned, if there is a problem, go somewhere else. Very few places will give you a problem.

Sue

15. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

[Our cat is "only" 14. As said, she is up to date on her vaxis. It's just that when we leave for winter trip it will be months too soon to get her rabies shot updated. Her vet record expires just a matter of days before we're due to return home. [/quote]

It won't hurt an animal to get their vaccinations a bit early. I know it is preferable for you to wait but there is nothing in the shots that would hurt your pet if shots were given early.

16. RCandTheTwins

RCandTheTwins
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GandJ @ Sep 27 2012, 04:39 PM) [snapback]31289[/snapback]

A question for those traveling with a pet (especially cats): Have you ever been asked by a campground owner or park personnel to show your pet's proof of rabies vaccination?

We've not ever been asked, but our cat's rabies vaxi certificate expires very shortly before we're due to arrive home next March. We're wondering if we are at risk of getting kicked out or not admitted to a park if we can show only a recently-expired certificate.

(Btw, our vet says that this short lapse will not put our geriatric, indoor, anti-social cat at risk)

We have only had to show our dog's collars to prove rabies. I never tell them that we have our cat. She's only gone with us once this year and did well so maybe we'll bring her often. But thanks for posting because I never bring her rabies collar, it's too big but now I'll make sure to have a copy in my trailer for all the animals.

17. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 27 2012, 03:51 PM) [snapback]31290[/snapback]

BTW, at our last vet visit we got the 3 year rabbies vaccination for our cats so now we don't have to deal with it so often.

Went to our vet clinic today and asked the tech to look up our cat's records from last year's vaccination. Lo and behold! It had been a three-year vaxi. Not only does she not have to go in this year, she's good to go next year, too. I now have an updated rabies certificate to show in case anyone asks to see it.

Thanks again for the heads up! (from Lexi, especially)

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm glad that worked out for you.

19. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We have never been asked for vacc cert. Even when we went into Canada last summer. We have them available inb case though.

20. mkc

mkc
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(TXBobcat @ Sep 27 2012, 09:22 PM) [snapback]31295[/snapback]

We are scheduled to go to Copake KOA in Copake NY, When making reservations they asked if we had a shots record and we told them we do. They said to bring them when we arrive. I have the record plus a Certificate of Health. I mainly keep them in case we go into Canada.

This is the only place we have ever been asked for a shots record. Don't know if they will actually ask for it when we arrve. Guess we will see.

They, and every other campground we have stayed at in the eastern NY area, have required the rabies certificates and made a copy of them for their records. This is current as of summer 2013.

Brook n' Wood, Interlake, and the KOA in Saugerties have done the same in past years.

Michelle