Yuma - Is There A Don't Miss Rv Resort In Yuma

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by AshleyAnne, Dec 13, 2009.

1. AshleyAnne

AshleyAnne
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of going to Yuma in February/March. Is there a don't miss RV Resort in Yuma. It would be nice if they have a golf course. Recommendations please.

Thanks,
    Larry Rebich

2. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

We recently left Yuma. Turned a two month stay into a 3 day stop and run. If I only had a month to live, I would head to Yuma in a heartbeat. After about 3 weeks death would be welcome relief. If you do not have a pressing reason to be in Yuma head for the Phoenix area to the east, Palm Springs to the west, Las Vegas to the north or Cabo to the south.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi kcmoedoe,

What was the problem with Yuma? (I was considering visiting there in about ten days)

4. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We were in Yuma a couple of years ago and enjoyed the area. There is a flea market to compete with the one in Quartzite, sand dunes, a camel farm, the old state prison historical site adnd a border town in Mexico we went to. I don't know about golf courses as I don't play golf but I think I remember seeing some.

5. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Jan 13 2010, 01:38 AM) [snapback]20642[/snapback]

We recently left Yuma. Turned a two month stay into a 3 day stop and run. If I only had a month to live, I would head to Yuma in a heartbeat. After about 3 weeks death would be welcome relief. If you do not have a pressing reason to be in Yuma head for the Phoenix area to the east, Palm Springs to the west, Las Vegas to the north or Cabo to the south.

It just wasn,t our cup of tea. It is a working class town and a military town. to us, there seemed like a lot of run down, poor areas with graffiti and probably the resultant crime. The RV parks were primarily filled with park models and seasonals. Some of the park models have been on site for a long time. Other parks were too close to the interstate. Finally, there just wasn't any greenery. It is truly a desert environment and very dusty. Our views were very much influenced by the fact we were supposed to stay for two plus months. We just couldn't see ourselves being there for that long. It is probably fine for a shorter, touring visit, to us it is just not a seasonal destination. We moved to Palm Springs CA, spent a whole lot more money, and are loving it to no end. We would rather have the monthly pain of writing a big check than the daily pain of being somewhere we are not happy. Now just be aware, it is my opinion only and does not necessarily reflect the views of others. BTW, we do not get Quartzite either and Yuma felt to us like Quartzite lite.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We found Yuma to be one big RV Park. I have never run into this number of parks anyplace before. The RV places are super size and all were empty at time we were in town. City is one long road Hwy Bus 8 in the desert. The old state prison historical site and couple more places were OK to tour and then it was time to move on. Locals tell me the place is hot as hell in summer and wet in winter months. Not my cup of tea as well.

7. Lee and Jacque

Lee and Jacque
    Expand Collapse

We stopped in Yuma a few years ago. We planned to stay a week and ended up staying a month! Our first impression when we arrived was "Ugh! Rather stark and brown!" but the longer we were there the better we liked it. The MOST BEAUTIFUL sun rises and sunsets we have seen anywhere in 5 years of full timing. We are in south TX this winter and looking longingly at Yuma's 70 degree plus days!

8. flugelboneman

flugelboneman
    Expand Collapse

Have a look at Cocopah RV Park on the extreme west side of Yuma. It is a golf resort, but many people stay there who don't golf. Sites are fairly spartan, but great Park center with all kinds of activities and a great pool. It is very pet friendly with a large off leash "Piddle Patch" that all the dog owners congregate at morning noon and nite.

I agree with the observation that it initially looks like a big farm town, but the longer you stay the more you will find to like. Old downtown Yuma is full of history and markets. You can cycle across the entire city along the canals and hardly ever have to go on a vehicle road. People are friendly and welcoming, and you are just minutes away from Mexico. We spent four winters there and enjoyed it immensely.

9. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Yuma is a winter destination. The weather in Yuma during Dec, Jan, Feb, March is fantastic. If your lucky you might get a rain shower to settle some of the dust. You have Los Algodones, Mexico a few minutes away where you can shop, get dental, eye glasses, prescriptions etc.

Yuma the rest of the time of the year is HOT!!!

Summer time is when Yuma gets its rains, namely the monsoons that come through from Baja, Lighting storms the whole works, not the winter months, the winters are dry and have warm days with nights that can get cold. (I have seen a few nights that got down to the upper 20's, not many just a few.)

Yes Yuma is a laid back farm and military town. It is not a place to go if you have to be entertained 7/24, if that is what you want/need then go to Las Vegas. Yuma is a place to relax and enjoy the "DESERT".

The desert has so much to see and do if you just take the time to enjoy nature at its finest. IF your a rock hound, there are miles and miles of BLM land that you can enjoy rock hounding. If your a off road-er there are miles of BLM land for that and if you like riding the sand dunes, they are there to enjoy as well. Yuma has a diversity of things to offer so many, just don't go looking for the Las Vegas/Palm Springs life style in Yuma.

IF you like to golf, there are a couple of low level golf courses (don't expect Palm Springs or Pebble Beach quality), just accept them for what they are, and more importantly where they are.

Do I advise any one to go to Yuma, "NO", there's already to many Snowbirds that go there every winter as it is. There are so many Snowbirds that go there in the winter time that it is getting difficult to find a place to stay with out making reservations 6-9 months in advance, not to mention that it is becoming a 2+ hour wait in line to cross the border back into the U.S. from Mexico because of all the snowbirds that spend the winter in Yuma and go into Mexico on a daily basis.

YES I am one of those snowbirds, have been for many years and will continue too as long as I can.