Zion Np Campground Choices

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by dsaalease, Apr 4, 2008.

1. dsaalease

dsaalease
    Expand Collapse

We will be at Zion NP on vacation this year and are deciding between two campground choices. We have it narrowed down to Zion River resort in Virgin UT or Zion Canyon Campground in Springdale UT. Anyone have any suggestions or comments on either? I'm looking for a clean campground with a pool, Wi-fi and cable.

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello Dsaalease. B)
    We stayed at the Zion River resort (Virgin) last April for roughly 2 weeks. Very much enjoyed the park-like atmosphere. Everything was meticulously CLEAN. The bathrooms, laundry area: spic 'n span. We have a nice RV shower set-up...so pay-showers do not insult us. :rolleyes:
    Because this entire area is SWAMPED during high season: a gated pool, pay-showers, etc...reflect an effort to control the onslaught of humanity (some not so good) that invade this corner of Utah in season. Any nice meadow along a roadway, WILL sprout tents, bon-fires, impromptu clothslines and pit-toilets.
    We no longer travel with kids or pets; however most of the folks camping at this resort had both: no problems. Not a 'senior' park. Only draw-back (for us) was Verizon air-card laptop and cel phones had no reception when in that little river valley. Took the laptop with us into town periodically for lunch and caught up with family e-mails from various restaurants. Directv (satelite) reception was great!
    Sorry I cannot speak to Wi-Fi accessibility. As in most parks: reception is probably best inside the office...ha! ;)
    Let us all know where you go...ok? Always great to gain fresh perspectives. Cheers!

3. dsaalease

dsaalease
    Expand Collapse

Foster,

After I posted this, I read the reviews about Zion Canyon in Springdale and think that Zion River in Virgin may be the way to go. The campground at the entrance to the park would have its advantages, but being that close can also have many drawbacks; crowded, dirty, noisy, ect. My past experiences with campgrounds that close to a park (or other attraction) are a high maintanence campground and most owners do not staff enough employees to provide a pleasurable experience. The drive to the park would be worth it if there is a significant difference in the two campgrounds.

Denny Lease

4. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Keep this in mind too.

There is also a CG(Watchman) inside Zion NP that offers water and electric hookups as well that's right on the Virgin River. Scenery is spectacular, if you're ok with only having water and electric.

5. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Apr 7 2008, 01:46 PM) [snapback]11068[/snapback]

Keep this in mind too.

There is also a CG(Watchman) inside Zion NP that offers water and electric hookups as well that's right on the Virgin River. Scenery is spectacular, if you're ok with only having water and electric.

We just left Watchman Campground, and none of the sites had water hookups. Central water and dump.

6. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Apr 12 2008, 06:42 PM) [snapback]11132[/snapback]

We just left Watchman Campground, and none of the sites had water hookups. Central water and dump.

I stand corrected.

How did you like it?

7. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Apr 14 2008, 01:55 PM) [snapback]11190[/snapback]

I stand corrected.

How did you like it?

As a campground, it was just OK. Big sites, a few with 50 amp power. Our site was very level, but not all are. There is construction going on right across the river, so the riverside sites in the campground are noisy for a few hours a day. No laundry or showers. I could see a dozen other sites from inside our rig.

But in terms of location it's a great campground. An easy walk to the Visitor Center, where you can get a free shuttle to anywhere in the park and another free shuttle in to town. Also an easy walk to the only grocery store in town, which is right on the boundary of the park.

There is only one trail in the park that allows you to take your dog, and it starts just outside Watchman Campground. Another, more challenging trail (the "Watchman Trail") is right there as well.