Zion Np Tunnel - Anyone Been Through It?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by endofrope, Aug 4, 2009.

1. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

I am planning a trip to Utah in September, and I'm concerned about the height restriction going through the tunnel at Zion NP. I checked the specs for a Winnebago Journey, and it says it measures 12'. The tunnel restricts anything over 13'1". We have a satellite dome on our roof. My husband was thinking we could dump the air out of the shocks, but I called the park and they said the tunnel is close to a mile long. That would be a very bumpy mile.

Has anyone else with a diesel pusher and satellite dome ever gone through the tunnel? (SAFELY :)? I don't mind going back around, but thought I'd ask.

Additionally, has anyone ever traveled UT-21 from Great Basin National Park down to Cedar City, UT in a motorhome?

2. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Endo: I would not risk it. We were in Zion last summer and loved it. We first went to Bryce and then on to Zion. We drove the tunnel w/out the 5'er (which is 13 feet) and decided we'd enjoy the drive around. I am certain that the tunnel is 13++ feet/inches, but that's only if you are always "in the right place at the right time" going through. It's a long and dark tunnel......and we decided not to risk it.

It took us a morning to drive around to Watchman in Zion, and it was kind of a pretty trip. Both of these parks are wonderful, so I don't mean to discourage you. See both of them...but curved/convoluted tunnels are not for me.

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello Endofropie and welcome aboard!
    Talking highway 9 through the Zion Canyon, correct? We took this tunnel 2 years ago. At that time the rangers 'manned' each end of the tunnel and allowed traffic one-way only: allowed folks to drive right down the center of the road, through the tunnel. No problems with height when you're strattling the center line. We sit 12' 7" including our ACs, however followed a series of bigger-diesel-rigs through, no problems.
    Now this was in early May, before the heavy, seasonal RV traffic, so the wait was less than 15 minutes at each end.
    I was more white-knuckled with that very last 8-10% down-grade coming back around on highway 59 as you drop back into Hurricane! :eek:

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have been in tunnel in our tow. We have looked at 45 ft buses moving in and out of tunnel. As FosterImposters said you stay in middle of tunnel. Tunnel also had port holes cut into rock and that lets in some light plus air. Park will charge a fee to drive you through. I think you could do it OK.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

It would be a good idea to measure your height. Several easy ways to do it. Oneis just put a 2x4 level from your highest point over past the side of the coach and measure down to the ground using a ladder. Always a good idea to know your exact height.

6. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

You really should know how high your rig actually is. It only takes a few minutes.

Like many others, we have taken our rig through the tunnel. You are required to unhook the toad, and they close the tunnel for you. There is a small fee for this.

Have a good time. It's a great park.

By the way, some of the sites in the campground have 50 amp power, although most are 30 amp.

--
    Dave Rudisill
    2004 Beaver Monterey

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Aug 5 2009, 01:58 PM) [snapback]18119[/snapback]

You really should know how high your rig actually is. It only takes a few minutes.

Like many others, we have taken our rig through the tunnel. You are required to unhook the toad, and they close the tunnel for you. There is a small fee for this.

Have a good time. It's a great park.

By the way, some of the sites in the campground have 50 amp power, although most are 30 amp.

--
    Dave Rudisill
    2004 Beaver Monterey

there is a length restriction also. i am a 38 ft 5er and with the truck we are too long. they wouldn't give a tunnel permit. the zion web site has this info.