Campground Reccomendations For Nc Mountains

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bob512, Jul 17, 2010.

1. bob512

bob512
    Expand Collapse

I am considering a trip to the Blue Ridge and/or Smokey Mountain area of NC. I am looking specifically for a campground with nice views of the mountains - possibly a camp higher up overlooking things. I would like some suggestions about the campgrounds in this area. It would be great if someone can suggest a campground with a great view. I have camped many times before but mostly coastal camping. I would appreciate any suggstions that you may have for me.

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

One thing to remember for sure is that there are some low tunnels, steep curves, and very hilly roads. Get a good map and be careful. Don't do like me and drive and look at the same time. Look at the reviews by town name and get some great info also.

3. lynnz

lynnz
    Expand Collapse

4. jkeener

jkeener
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bob512 @ Jul 17 2010, 03:37 PM) [snapback]23034[/snapback]

I am considering a trip to the Blue Ridge and/or Smokey Mountain area of NC. I am looking specifically for a campground with nice views of the mountains - possibly a camp higher up overlooking things. I would like some suggestions about the campgrounds in this area. It would be great if someone can suggest a campground with a great view. I have camped many times before but mostly coastal camping. I would appreciate any suggstions that you may have for me.

What size rig do you have! There is a great place just outside of Asheville! But it's quite a steep haul!

5. larhode

larhode
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bob512 @ Jul 17 2010, 02:37 PM) [snapback]23034[/snapback]

If you want to be up high with a good view, try a park called "campfire lodgings" just north of Asheville. www.campfirelodgings.com
    Their premium sites are spectacular, although very expensive. Don't bother if you cant get a premium site as the others are gravel and not level. Also, other than the spectacular view, this park is otherwise unimpressive. A nicer option for the Asheville area is Mama Gerties. It's very nice and more reasonably priced. Although a nicer park, the view isn't as good as campfire. Mama Gerties is located just east of Asheville.
    www.mamagerties.com

If you want high altitude camping, there are a couple National Park Service campgrounds right on the Blue Ridge parkway, but they do not have hookups and aren't very big rig friendly. Also, use caution driving on the parkway if your rig is tall, they have some low tunnels and bridges.

And if you want really high altitude camping, try Greyson Highlands State Park in Virginia. I think the campground is above 4000 ft which makes it very nice and cool on hot summer days.

The following website called "camping with a view" lists a bunch of campgrounds with nice views. You might find it helpful. www.campingwithaview.com