Shameful Mgmt

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Campinggal, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Campinggal

Campinggal
    Expand Collapse

:(
    Our experience @ Springhill RV in Cochrane Ab was sure a disappointment!! My brother from Texas stayed there & paid for a full month, but because of the overbooking of the Calgary Stampede, he moved the 5th wheel he was staying in, & was told he had an 8 day credit. He was not going to use the credit due to the fact that he doesn't even own an RV, he was only staying in a friends because he came up to see our ill mother, & was then able to stay @ a friends home after that. We came to see our mother, & stayed there... Mgmt. not only would not give him back the $270. but wouldnt even issue a 3 night credit to us to use some of the credit he was owed. Grrr.. Don't understand how ppl. can do that in good conscious!! I sure won't stay there again!!

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

This really should have been put in the review section. I will comment about the refund part though. Our CG has a policy, posted in the office and on the paperwork people sign when they move in on the monthly basis. It states there are no refunds, no exceptions. We have given a credit later if someone came back to the area but we do not do refunds. I'm sorry you were upset about the situation but he does need to check the CG policy up front in the future.

3. Campinggal

Campinggal
    Expand Collapse

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 29 2012, 02:06 PM) [snapback]30222[/snapback]

This really should have been put in the review section.

Actually this does not really meet the guidelines for reviews. It is OK to mention problems you may have had at a campground, but the main objective of any review should be to provide information about the campground itself. For instance, what is the general appearance of the place? Clean? Landscaped? Cluttered? Quiet atmosphere? What were the sites like? Gravel? Concrete? Large or small? Were the utilities placed conveniently, and did they work well? Were there amenities? These are the things that are most helpful to readers. If a problem is mentioned it should be explained concisely without a blow-by-blow description and the “he said /I said” dialog. Following these few guidelines make reviews much better.

5. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 29 2012, 01:26 PM) [snapback]30224[/snapback]

Actually this does not really meet the guidelines for reviews. It is OK to mention problems you may have had at a campground, but the main objective of any review should be to provide information about the campground itself....
    I agree. The purpose of the site is to provide a place for park reviews, not to be the complaint department for us travelers.

If folks were allowed to use the site to complain about individual incidents, the park owners should be allowed to post responses on the site. This would change the entire character of a very useful web site.

6. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Very confused. Did he leave because he wanted to, or did they ask him to leave? If he left on his own free will, they owe him nothing, especially when a monthly rental fee is much less than 30 days of a daily fee at most parks. If they asked him to leave because they were overbooked, he should have either 1) said no or 2) gotten a refund right then and there. If someone overbooks my site or my hotel room or my rental car or my plane ticket, I feel I am entitled to significant re-imbursement and I won't be leaving until such compensation is settled. If I leave early or don't show, I am at their mercy. If I get something, I see it as a bonus, if not, it's my fault for not planning better and I don't feel entitled to anything.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If his leaving early caused the owner to have empty spaces and lose revenue, he should not get a refund or credit. Letting others use a credit is also not done by many lodging companies. There are usually two sides to each story, and it is hard to make up your mind with only one side.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

As everyone knows a monthly rate creates a cheaper nightly rate, and if you leave early, some places will refund the monthly fee, but then they will charge the real nightly rate for the days you stayed. In many cases the nightly rate (even though it is for less days) will come out to be more money than the monthly rate, especially if you stayed for most of the month.

You stated that your brother was supposed to have an 8 day credit which means he stayed for the majority of the month, and it is possible that the monthly rate he paid was cheaper than the nightly rate times the 22 days he was there.

The idea of a monthly rate is that you agree to pay a reduced rate for a guaranteed 30 days. If you do not stay/pay for 30 days, then you fall under the nightly rate (or maybe there is a weekly rate), but you don’t get the 30 day rate anymore.

I don’t know if this applies to the place in question, but it is a reason why monthly fees are usually not prorated and refunded.

We have never paid for a monthly stay, but this has happened to us on a weekly stay. I guess there are some places that would prorate the monthly/weekly rate, but we have never run into one that did it that way.

9. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Good points Texas. I just checked and the nightly rate there is $35.00 so if he was there 22 days that would make his charges $770.00 so he probably got a pretty good deal already. Also, if they did give a credit it would be for the brother and not for him to give to someone else to use. I understand him not wanting to lose money but it wasn't the CG's fault he left early. Since he had paid for a month he should have gone ahead and stayed there and not expect the CG to return his money.

10. Campinggal

Campinggal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 30 2012, 05:10 PM) [snapback]30240[/snapback]

Good points Texas. I just checked and the nightly rate there is $35.00 so if he was there 22 days that would make his charges $770.00 so he probably got a pretty good deal already. Also, if they did give a credit it would be for the brother and not for him to give to someone else to use. I understand him not wanting to lose money but it wasn't the CG's fault he left early. Since he had paid for a month he should have gone ahead and stayed there and not expect the CG to return his money.

No... He had to leave due to the CG was booked for the stampede. He didn't just leave on his own. Some very good points have been made on the pro rating issue...

11. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Campinggal @ Jul 31 2012, 08:41 AM) [snapback]30247[/snapback]

No... He had to leave due to the CG was booked for the stampede. He didn't just leave on his own. Some very good points have been made on the pro rating issue...

This still doesn't make any sense. The park told him to leave when he still had 8 days remaining on his reservation? I have never, ever heard of such a thing. Or, did he try to add more days, and the park was booked for the stampede and he chose to leave early because he made other arrangements? That is two totally different things. If the park actually told him to leave because they were overbooked, they should be bending over backwards to make amends. In overbooking situations in any other business such as airlines, hotels, rental cars etc. I have never seen where the establishment kicked out the people that were already there. I almost cannot comprehend that the park did, in fact, make him leave in the middle of his stay without provocation. A little more clarification would surely be appreciated.