Will the US dollar exchange rate influence your RV destination this year?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Holiday Trails RV Resorts, Mar 5, 2016.

?

Does the exchange rate of the USD vs CAD influence your RVing destinations?

1. It is a consideration.

71.4%
  2. I choose destinations for the location and value is not a factor.

14.3%
  3. I am unaware of the current exchange rate between my currency and other.

14.3%
  1. Holiday Trails RV Resorts

Holiday Trails RV Resorts
    Expand Collapse

With the huge shift in the value of the US dollar when compared to the Canadian dollar; we as a largely Canadian chain of RV Resorts we are noticing a remarkable surge of inquiries from US RVers looking to stretch their vacation dollar. In comparison we are noting a decrease in bookings from Canadians at our Wa state Resort. RVers: Do you find that the exchange rate influences your decision to visit Canada to take advantage of the $1.33 CAD/ $1 USD (Mar 05, 2016)? RV Park Owners: Have you noticed a change in your clientele with the recent increase in value of the US dollar?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We have spent the past 3 summers in Canada and plan to do so again this year. There's no question that it is easier with the current exchange rate but we managed even when the rate was $1.08 "the wrong way" not all that long ago.

3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The current situation with the USD vs CAD has definitely made me think twice before committing to an extended trip to the US. Last year on a trip to Alaska I found it was cheaper for some things in the Yukon than in Alaska. Since our first trip up there 35 years ago that has never happened before. I used to stay at Washington State parks quite often in the past, but when it costs more than $50 CAD a night then it's time to look elsewhere. Still, I am anxious to get back down south for next winter and will have to look at monthly stays as that will bring the cost down.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I chose "It is a consideration." because it is, but certainly not the only consideration. For the most part, the favorable exchange rate for us as "south of the border" folks might make a difference in how long we stay at a given park while in Canada. The favorable rate also makes some of the higher priced parks more inviting to us.

5. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

It is certainly more expensive for us than a few years ago but I know we are still heading south during the summer. I have found some nice resorts in Montana and Washington the make it worth the while and expense. I have also noticed that many of the campground in AB and BC are already booked with locals taking more of a staycation. Having been out for a drive today to take a look at a new RV park in AB I am definitely not staying there. Glad I didn't make an 'unseen reservation' for the spring.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I was two hours late in getting on the Parks Canada website in January when it opened for reservations and almost couldn't get a site in Jasper for mid-July. My previous experiences with getting sites on the first day of the season had not been this difficult. Maybe more Canadians are staying home this summer.

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Hutch333id
    - Do you reside in AB or BC? Just curious as this old BankShot was born and raised in Vancouver. Still feel my Canadian roots after all these year living in the states. Moved to So. Calif. in 1952. I was 12 then so I guess I just released my age didn't I.........:eek:. Lived for the last three years in West Van and really loved there as opposed to living across the bridge in the city......

8. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Aint that the truth. In February I went to book a site at a park on Vancouver Island for August and I was lucky to get one.

9. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

We moved to AB almost 13 years ago after leaving the UK. Now live just east of "The Rock Pile".