How deliberate should we be?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by WillieRV, Apr 8, 2018.

1. WillieRV

WillieRV
    Expand Collapse

Hello to all, from a pair of new travelers,
    We are planning a tour of New B and Nova Scotia from mid June to end of July. Can anyone please inform us whether we are foolish to think this can be done during peak season without campground reservations in place before we get started? This is our first RV trip to the region and we wonder if we can do it casually or must it all be totally organized before leaving home. Thanks for your info.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We've toured that area several times and one thing in your favor is that mid-June is very early in the season and things usually aren't all that crowded. However, July is peak season and you many not always be able to stay at your first choice parks. For example, in Halifax we wanted to stay at a particular park that was convenient to the major attractions and which had good reviews. We wouldn't have been able to stay there without reservations.

It all boils down to how picky you are about where you stay and whether you will be staying near cities and major attractions. Tattoo is always held in Halifax in the first two weeks of July and that makes for big crowds. OTOH by the time you get all the way out to Cape Breton Island the crowds aren't quite so bad.

FWIW I'll put my two cents in and say that if you're going to spend so much time in the Maritimes, you ought to spend some of it on Prince Edward Island, which is our favorite province. Charlottetown is the smallest provincial capital and is the home of the confederation that became Canada.

Joel (AKA docj)

WillieRV and Paythebill like this.
  3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

If you plan on spending any time staying in some of the campgrounds in the national parks, definitely get reservations. I found some of the provincial park campgrounds can get crowded as well, especially on weekends.
    Like docj said, go to PEI as well. Even spending a month and a half in the Maritimes won't get you to all the attractions. If the trip is a one time event, check out the attractions websites to focus on what you want to see.
    Have a great trip.

4. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

My avatar is a pic of downtown Parrsboro NS, good (EW) campground "Glooscap - run by the town".

I would suggest you find a couple of spots use a basecamps. Then day trip (its not far but the roads can be challenging). If your LUCKY (I'm trying to get a 2 week stay next year --- waiting on email response - try Spencer's Island Campground - https://www.oldshipyardcampground.com/ . The road HWY 209 there is world class crazy, up / down / hairpin turns steep climbs - but it is paved and in my opinion a more interesting drive than the Cape Breton's Cabot Trail.

If your a Anne Murray fan there's a museum in Springhill as well a tour of the deeps (mine), I'm not going down there!

Basecamp south of Halifax and see the south of NS, then drive up to Cape Breton.

5. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

ooops .... the original question. Can be an issue if your looking on the weekends asstaed .... usually an overnights not a problem except in Prov Parks. Book some basecamps and been done with it.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. WillieRV

WillieRV
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for this Joel,
    We consider ourselves "not too picky" and are feeling a bit more confident after reading the numerous replies. Also, may be adding PEI to the route.
    Happy Travels, Bill

Medic73 likes this.
  7. WillieRV

WillieRV
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for this reply,
    Mentioning the attractions websites is great advice -- thanks. It is a one time trip, so I am eager to do my homework while the internet (at home) is convenient.
    Happy Travels, Bill

Medic73 likes this.
  8. WillieRV

WillieRV
    Expand Collapse

WOW!! That Spencer's Island CG looks fantastic. Got to go there!
    Thanks, Bill

Medic73 likes this.