What happened to spring!

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Mar 10, 2018.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Paythebill, BankShot and mdcamping like this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

All I can say is YUCK!:eek:

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I was wondering if there was an antique grill back in the woods a ways. I decided not to check 'cause the snow was too deep. ;)

NYDutch likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Boy this thread has really deteriorated. Mike started out discussing how terrible the weather is in his neck of the woods and next thing we know, we're discussing road kill, the Donner Party and Dutch chimes in telling us all about some great cookbooks for both. And then thanks to Darrell and his very recent drive over the summit on their way to Reno and beyond, he starts looking for an antique backwoods grill.......:eek: Really......:D I saw on the news earlier this morning that more snow is hitting on the eastern side of the country again and we are getting heavy rain and snow out this way. I sure hope Darrell and Jerry are tucked inside at some RV park or campground that isn't snowed over, and are enjoying their time on the road while all this weather is going on. Hey Mike, how's it going in your area currently? No doubt you dug out the RV only to have it covered up again with all the white stuff. Keep that shovel close at hand as it doesn't look like it's letting up anytime soon..........:(

Everyone enjoy and stay warm and dry...........BankShot...........(aka Terry)

#24 BankShot, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    mdcamping likes this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well Mike, it does appear you are being slammed again. I just read about a slew of traffic accidents and concerns of flooding when it all melts. I feel for you. Stay high and dry and warm for now.

Terry, you are probably seeing some heavy rain about now but you are quite a way up that big hill so I doubt you have to worry about flooding.

We decided to try and miss some of that wet cold weather that is hitting the North West right now. We headed south into the Nevada desert. We might see a little rain but it is a bit warmer too. Not as warm as Yuma (hitting the high 80s today) but no where near freezing and snow. I do have to be in cold, Canada soon, but I'm going to wait until the last moment now.

You folks in Florida are expecting some wind. There appears to be crappy weather in a lot of places.

All we can do is sit back, have another cup of coffee and contemplate warmer days to come.

Safe travels everyone.

Darrell & Jerry

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I have a creek that flows thru the property and it's flowing pretty good about now. Thankfully the house sits high enough above it that flooding is not a concern. Are you by chance headed for Pahrump, NV where you can leave some money behind...........:D Travel safe and enjoy..........

Regards to you both, Terry.............(aka Bankshot)

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Well, we didn't get any snow here in Edisto Beach, SC, but we did get a pretty good dose of nickel sized hail yesterday afternoon along with some severe thunderstorms on and off all afternoon and part of the night. Today it's just high winds (gusting to 25-30 mph) that make me very glad we're not on the road driving the motorhome! As well, it looks like the northern storm is staying south of our Adirondack cottage other than few brief snow showers, so our plowing bill shouldn't get any bigger for a change...

8. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I really would like a copy of the Donner Party Cookbook... I love liver and onions...:confused:

NYDutch likes this.
  9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

If you can get on NYDUTCH'S good side he might just shoot you off a copy of that cookbook and even give you an RVer's discount if you ask him nicely..........:D

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Getting back to the "Spring..." question, we were scheduled to be in Max Meadows, VA Saturday and Sunday nights, but instead we're going to hunker down in Charlotte, NC until Monday. We'll be climbing up the 6% grade on I-77 at Fancy Gap going into VA, but with a weather report that's calling for up to a foot of snow capped by ice starting early Saturday, we thought it prudent to wait it out.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  11. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That sounds like the smart thing to do. Climbing a 6% grade on snow and ice not really a safe thing to do. Hopefully, the snow storm will be long gone by Sunday.

NYDutch likes this.
  12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, we expect the road will be in good shape by the time we get there Monday afternoon.

I think there's an old saying that goes, "Man plans, and Mother Nature says 'Hold my beer...'"

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.
  13. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

In regards to spring, we've got it here in abundance in Colorado. 68 today and 72 tomorrow.

We're heading out towards CA and the sacramento area tomorrow. Should arrive Monday. Hope the weather follows us.

We too are going to utilize Donner pass in a week to return. Hope we don't catch a spring storm at the summit!

Chris g.

14. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hey Chris; I understand it is just bucketing in Sacramento right now. There is a cold weather storm moving in tomorrow so I wouldn't be surprised if Caltrans shuts I-80 down. Check their URL. I'm sure Bankshot with be able to give you the very latest updates (as long as his house wasn't carried away by the torrential rain flooded creek near by).

Highway Patrol closed Nevada Route 95 down today because of heavy winds. I understand three or four Semi Trailers were blown off the road. I am planning to head back north using 95 tomorrow (if it's safe).

Be aware and drive with care! Safe travels.

Darrell & Jerry

15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Chris - Met up with Rollin Ollens (Darrell) and his wife Jerry last week as they passed thru town on their way up over Donner Summit and points beyond. If you have a mind to shoot me a PM and possibly we could meet for a quick cup at the same Park & Ride right off I-80. Nice to put a face to the person/s on the forum when possible. Next week is looking good weather-wise, the rains and snow will have let up and the sun is supposed to be shining all week long. Thought we were going to have to hook the pontoons onto the motorhome there for a while.........:D Have a safe trip out to our area, look forward to meeting you if it works out.................

Regards, Terry............(aka BankShot)

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.
  16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We dodged the last storm, they predicted 8 to 13'' of snow and we got 1'', New York/NJ had to pay up this time! I think this is it for winter weather!. Next week is supose to be in the 50's! YEAH!!

Time to start thinking about my upcoming camping trip!... By next weekend the last of the snow should be gone where I can finally get to the camper and inspect. maybe even dewinterize in the next few weeks.

Speaking of Donner Party recipes :p Doing our traditional corn beef & cabbage dinner this upcoming weekend can't wait! :cool:

Mike

17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - A little late for St. Paddy's day aren't we??? You must be "aging" the meat out there in all that snow?........ :eek: Oh no, did I just say that.!!! And to think I told myself early on that I would not get into this Donner Party thing that got started. Looks like I lied.......:D Enjoy the CB&C. One of my favorite dishes and we already had ours..................

All the best, Terry...............(aka BankShot)

#37 BankShot, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    mdcamping likes this.
  18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Folks in the Great Lakes area are getting slammed hard again with winter, hang in there and stay safe!

Yesterday got the trailer all dewinterized and ready for our upcoming opening trip this coming week. weather suposed to be in the low 50's and above freezing at night...I'll take it!! :cool:

Put down my spring lawn fertilizer this morning with some light snow showers... :rolleyes:

Mike

BankShot likes this.
  19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - Glad to hear you will finally be getting the heck outta Dodge and I'll bet you are too. Travel safe and enjoy the open road. Hopefully we won't be far behind you as it's looking good for us to pick up the coach late this next week. All went very well with the repairs and we now have a brand new camera monitor and rear camera in the system. Let the good times roll............:D

All the best, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

#39 BankShot, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Paythebill likes this.
  20. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I'm happy you are finally getting some warmth. Up here in the Great White North we are expecting eight inches of heavy wet snow and temps of 20F. I'm thinking I might have to shuffle down south a ways again. :(

Paythebill likes this.