Traveling Out West

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Aug 8, 2018.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Joel - We may have passed each other on the road as we were on 395, 97, 38, 138, 42, 101 and I-5 on our recent trip. We had thought about a stop at Crater Lake but due to the smoke thought it best to keep going and get out to the coast where the air was much mo betta to breathe. Hope you had/are having a great trip and that the smoke hasn't been too much of a bother. We certainly enjoyed our stay at Winchester Bay. If you've never been there you owe to yourself to check it out sometime. That is of course if you can stand all the fresh ocean air, clear blue skies and mild temps during the day and great sleeping at night..........:rolleyes::D

All the best, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

ok, now I am jealous....not for the smoke filled air but for everything else Bankshot said about Winchester Bay. sigh....:(

BankShot likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't be jealous Paythebill, just get in the RV and go there. Only problem with that would be they are booked solid for the rest of the season and probably right thru the rest of the year. We found out a few years ago that one has to book reservations up to a year in advance. You could get lucky and grab a space in the interior part of the park but the only way to fly is to have one right at the water's edge. We booked for next year before we left this time. Great place for sure and certainly our favorite spot to hunker down and breathe in some of that fresh ocean air and eat some great seafood. Walking completely around the park on the outer walking path is nothing short of walker's heaven..:D

Hope you manage to go there at some point, you'll really enjoy it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Hi Terri,

We got here by way of US 93 driving north through eastern NV. We had been in Durango for 2 weeks dodging mudslides after the fires. We did have reservations in Redding but we cancelled those when the park was evacuating!

We had a pretty clear day at Crater Lake yesterday. Much better visibility than on Sunday. We're at Diamond Lake RV Park which is largely empty because of smoke cancelations. But it's really not all that bad. Today we took our laptops to the lake where Verizon service is better. Mid-80s temps and low humidity. Not too bad.

5. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Actually, we are in the planning stages for a trip out west. We are in the central Florida area and a trip to Oregon would make for one hell of a trek. Five weeks ago we returned from a two a half month long adventure to the mountains of Tn, Ga, Sc and Nc. We had an outstanding time. Being home for five weeks has caused our feet to burn and itch again for the road. We never fully understood, until now, how addictive traveling can be....;)

BankShot likes this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    By saying you live in central Florida I take it that means somewhere in the Orlando area and perhaps even in "The Villages"? I have an old Navy buddy that has lived there for many years and at one time was an RVer like we are. He gave it up to concentrate more on his game of golf......o_O I believe he had a 5ver and used it to make many trips in. If you do get out west by all means let me know and I will try to give you a short list of some of the best places to visit and possibly stay at such as Winchester Bay. Hope you do get to make that trip, it would certainly be one of a lifetime I would think............

Regards, BankShot..........(aka Terry)

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The previous posts were in a different forum and had strayed from the topic of that thread. I moved them to this forum/thread and I encourage those of you in this conversation will continue your discussion here.

NYDutch likes this.
  8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about Texasrvers. I guess I'm the cuprit that took the thread off topic so will gladly accept the blame. Will try not to let this happen again. Doesn't take much it seems to get us old RVers off topic at times. Thanks for moving mine and and the posts of others who followed me down this road. Should have been paying more attention to my driving.............:D

All the best, Terry................(aka BankjShot)

NYDutch likes this.
  9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

My above post should have begun with :"Sorry about that Texasrvers" So once again sorry about that also.............:oops: Tried to correct it but the edit time had run out by the time I noticed my error......

BanksShot..........(aka Terry)

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Oh please, stop apologizing. We've all tacked on posts to topics where they might not belong. It's not a big deal. And I knew what you meant with your "Sorry about Texasrvers" comment. At least I thought I knew. So don't worry about any of this. Just keep on posting.

BankShot likes this.
  11. ForestWalker

ForestWalker
    Expand Collapse

Rule #6- Never say you're sorry. ;)

BankShot likes this.
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, not sorry. Everyone happy now...........:D On this new subject of traveling out west just imagine how many folks summer vacations have been ruined by the smoke from all the fires burning out here. One works all year long to get a week or two to take the family to Tahoe, Yosemite, or any other number of beautiful areas in the west only to have those vacation plans "sent up in smoke". Not to mention the number of families who have lost homes and everything they own in those same fires. Tragic events that rival the horrific tornadoes, hurricanes and floods that occur elsewhere across the country. This RVer's heart goes out to all those who suffer these types of losses.................:(

BankShot..........(aka Terry)

13. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry,
    I hear ya...and agree with you on this one... I hope authorities are able to catch the individual and convict who started these fires... At this point I don't see any sentence that could serve justice..