1. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Is anybody out there?
    Boy has this forum ever been quiet lately. Nothing to read. How about we get something going here. It’s time to replace the tires on our 5th wheel. I’m thinking of the Carlisle HD. Whats your opinion?

Paythebill likes this.
  2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I'm here :D

Let me add my small experience, (and this certainly does not help you out) had mine changed spring of 18, if I recall I kept the same tire spec's. That said I felt I was over charged. I have read replace tire every 5 yrs, I waited 7.

I'm "Not" a tire expert but briefly looked online, looks like the Carlisle HD gets good reviews.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

The original tires that came with our 2016 trailer have a date code of May 2015 and are starting to show signs of cracking. So when I bought the trailer they were already a year old! And the load range is barely enough for the weight of the trailer,so I will be going up to a higher rating.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I think thats a good move on your part increasing your load range, from observation l've noticed the larger Rvs seem to have the tire blow outs, and especially the 5ers.

I had originally wanted to increase my load range when I replaced my tires last spring. The guy who did the work told me he was going to increase the load range and kind of did a bait & switch on me without saying anything till the job was done. That said my originals were sized correctly but I did want more spread for some extra safety.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Currently we run Toyo's on the rear that have a "traction" tread and Cooper's on the front with a "steering/handling tread. Early on we ran the Goodyear brand all around that came with the coach when new, but had a really bad experience with one of the rears that could have cost us our lives when an inner tire exploded. It was found the tire was defective from the factory and Goodyear refused to do anything about it when our insurance company contacted them. That sort of soured us against using Goodyear tires ever again. I am not familiar with Carlisle tires but have never heard anything negative mentioned about them. Two things I am really particular about are tires and brakes and I will never go "on the cheap" with either of them. We usually replace tires about every five years just to be on the safe side of the road.............. :)

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I do not know anything about Carlisle but I am a firm believer on overkill when it comes to tires. We replaced the ones on our coach last year and after doing a lot of research stayed with the make it came with. I honestly learned a lot about tires but when it came down to the final choice, I still felt a little in the dark. The Continentals that it came with were well rated and the reviews were good. I found most of the tire dealers were biased and I did not get a good feeling of trust. Good luck in your quest. Safe travels.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We replaced the tires on our motorhome two years ago. I specifically asked for the "freshest" tires off the shelf. After I got the coach home, I noticed one had a date code showing it was 4 years old and two others that were 2 years old. The dealer was "nice" enough to swap them out the next day, but I learned my lesson to check date codes before driving away.

Chris g.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Removed my RV cover this weekend and did some spring prep for the upcoming camping season.

LOL Carlisle were the tires I bought last spring... my memory is like a steel trap! ;)

Mike

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

----------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Mike - Are you sure you didn't mean steel "sieve" Perhaps you simply forgot............:p

Terry...............(aka BankShot)

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  10. jamesph

jamesph
    Expand Collapse

I am using Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST and very happy with it. They are heavy, the tires last very well.