Restrictions

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by CompassRose, Jan 1, 2022.

1. CompassRose

CompassRose
    Expand Collapse

You need to put the info in the Amenities/Features box for the parks that don't allow RVs older than 10yo. Not everyone trades in their RV every 3 or 4 years like they are cars. These parks like to not put that information out and that means I either show up and find out or I sift thru every page and tiny link to find the info. I don't stay at 55+ parks, it doesn't matter how old I am. And I don't stay at parks with RV age restrictions, it doesn't matter what age the RV is that I would be traveling in for that trip.

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

You say that "these parks like to not put that information out". Well then how do you expect Campground Reviews to put that info in the Amenities/Features box?

3. CompassRose

CompassRose
    Expand Collapse

LOL Are you kidding? Same way much of the other information ends up there, by the same people who write the reviews. Many Campgrounds/RV Parks tend to only give out their rules to the "paying guests". I've been in a few who were like that. A 6 page list of rules and no mention of it on their website.

4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Exactly. If any submitted reviews for the campgrounds you are concerned with have no mention of the 10yo rule then the only way CGR would be able to provide this information would be to individually phone each campground for it. Don't hold your breath.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

This "age restriction" is about as bogus as can be IMHO. We own a 2009 HR that I take care of like it is my "Ferrari", although I don''t own a Ferrari. So the ten year age thingee with some parks means that if I am in line behind a 2017 HR that has been driving thru desert, had a shot at a rock climbing event and never been washed since new. they can enter but I can't...:rolleyes: In all our years of RVing we have never once been asked to leave due to being over ten years old and yes we have stayed at a couple of parks that have that policy. And if I am ever turned down at a park with that policy then before we turn around and leave that owner/manager is going to have to face my lovely co-pilot who can give a tongue lashing with the best of them and not even utter any profanity. This rule, if part of a park's policy, should be applied to that aforementioned RV in front of me. Just makes common sense. That's my dissertation on this subject and I be stickin' to it....................:mad::D

Happy New Year everyone............BankShot...............(aka Terry)

6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I’m with you on this one Terry. Our coach just turned ten but it is very well maintained. I can park it next to a new coach and I doubt many could tell the difference. I suspect this rule came into play helping park operators to contend with “Junk Heaps”. I will admit, I’m not all that happy if I have to park next to a junker. Those folks that usually don’t take pride in their rigs are the same ones that don’t care much about their surroundings either. It’s sort of the same thing when you read a review that notes that the park has many permanents. That usually means the park is trashy too. We do make others aware when we submit our reviews if that is the case. We are staying in a park right now that has over half of the sites being used as permanents however, there are very few that have untidy sites. The operator is very fussy and it shows in how well this park looks. There is no written rule that I have seen that states no junkers allowed. There is a rule about keeping your site tidy. I have noticed that there are no old school busses or “junk heaps” in the park and I do know that rigs are given a visual once over during check in and I’m pretty sure they weed out the junkers right away. There is also a notice that there is a maximum stay unless previously approved by management. I applaud a park owner that takes pride in how their park looks. As for actually pointing out that a park has a ten year or junker rule, how would one know for sure?

Darrell

BankShot and Onemoretrail like this.
  7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

For 11 years, up until last february, we drove a 1989 Southwind. This was all we could afford and drove it all over the western half of the US. It had faded and peeling graphics, an occasionally you'd see me crawling under or into the engine compartment to fix something. With all that, we were never turned away from a campground or RV park. If we had been, that info would have shown up in my "did not stay" review, but i can kinda understand their position with the condition of that rig.

We now own a 2003 Dolphin which is much better looking, but i still would mention it if we are ever turned away.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I remember photos that you posted of your "new to you" rig. It's beautiful. If I were turned away from a park for any reason, I would make sure my review noted it. If a park stood by a "Ten Year" rule, why would I want anyone in our situation to waste their time. As for faded and peeling decals and stripes, It's not that hard to keep a rig tidy. When I purchased my coach, Winnebago offered a rider that would cover replacing faded or peeling stripes and decals. We declined for a number of reasons First was the cost. We felt it was absurd. Second, and most important, we didn't like some of the decaling. We removed some almost immediately.. We have since removed more that have faded. Using a heat gun (blower type hair drier will work just as well) start at an edge and gently warm the tape and it will peel off quite easily. A quick polish of the paint that was underneath and you can hardly tell there was once one there. Keep it washed and with a yearly polish and wax it will keep looking good.

Darrell

9. CompassRose

CompassRose
    Expand Collapse

I've run into it. But then my rig is from the 1980's. I have recently been looking at parks in Naples FL. Most of them have 10yr limits on RV and/or 55+ age limits on RVers.

10. CompassRose

CompassRose
    Expand Collapse

Got it. In others words, I need to "shut up and sit down". No more posts from stupid little ole me. I thought it made sense. Particularly since the "amenities" can list so many things that I have no interest like "pickleball" (no I don't want to know what it is either). I can't see why it can't have a box for "No 10+ RVs", "No tents", "No Popups", "No Truck Campers" and similar. I simply thought it would make for a better use. My bad.

TravelingWorkerBees likes this.
  11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I've seen park rules with 10, 12, or 15 year old rig rules, but in all of those cases the age rules only applied to long term stays, usually 30 days or longer. I suspect that has something to with the prevailing eviction laws. None of those parks have denied us entry with our now 21 year old motorhome for overnight or even a week or two stays. I'm not sure how age rules could be handled as a review entry since there's a number of variables involved. I don't think including that information in the "Amenities/Features" section would be appropriate since age rules are neither. Just mentioning it within the review body if the reviewer is aware of it should be sufficient in my opinion.

Rollin Ollens and BankShot like this.
  12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I've seen park rules with 10, 12, or 15 year old rig rules, but in all of those cases the age rules only applied to long term stays, usually 30 days or longer. I suspect that has something to with the prevailing eviction laws. None of those parks have denied us entry with our now 21 year old motorhome for overnight or even a week or two stays. I'm not sure how age rules could be handled as a review entry since there's a number of variables involved. I don't think including that information in the "Amenities/Features" section would be appropriate since age rules are neither. Just mentioning it within the review body if the reviewer is aware of it should be sufficient in my opinion.

BankShot likes this.
  13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Dutch - - - Loved your stereo post above. Read one with my left eye, the other with my right and got the full message you were conveying...............:p:D:);):rolleyes:

Happy New Year, Terry...........(aka BankShot)

14. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

It is my experience that almost all the parks with 10 year type rules are geared to seasonal guests. A nasty rig staying a day or two is one thing, staying all season long is another. Having a requirement that cannot be argued with is very beneficial to the park. If they instead went with a rule that required rigs to look good there would be constant arguments as to what that actually meant. You can't argue with what ten years old means. Plus a 10 year rule likely keeps Cousin Eddy from even thinking about staying.
    Anyone who, like me, has dealt with the general public for years knows how difficult enforcing any rule can be. I did it for 20+ years and it drove me to post "trespassers will be shot on sight" signs on the perimeter of my property. It isn't actually true, I would let any trespasser come on in so I could be sure I wouldn't miss but that is another story.

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We always welcome suggestions for features and amenities that could be added to our park listings. We pass them along to our website development team,and they decide, based on on several factors, if the suggestions will be added. If we do not include a specific feature or amenity on park pages, then we recommend that users go to the park's website or call the park to get the information.

TravelingWorkerBees likes this.
  16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about that. I had an Internet connection glitch and didn't realize it posted twice until it was too late to fix it.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

17. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm You never need to "Shut up and sit down". Them could be fightin words. There are listings for 55+ parks. There is a notation for Class As only (another joke IMO). It just might take a while for the techies to figure out if it can, is it justifiable, do we need it to be considered/. Then, I suspect it would take years to get folks to make mention of it. You can't expect RV Park operators to coms forward wit the info. Most, I suspect, don't read all their reviews. You have made a good suggestion. All you can do now is wait and see.

Darrell

TravelingWorkerBees and BankShot like this.
  18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

As some members have mentioned, may not be a bad idea for an no old rig rule in the Features & Amenities section, looks like they have extra space at least with my laptop I see. May work well with the newer CGR feature, "no overnight stay" reviews?

That said I've NEVER encountered such a rule or never read a negitive review not allowing an old rv but I mostly camp in the northeast. Identifying this rule (or a similar rule) could make more sense in the retirement rv communities especially in southern USA?

I guess the big issue is who's going to populate the info on something that is overall not very common. I think this all circles back to being vigilant on online research and making phone calls.

Mike

19. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm not against including a "no old rigs" listing on the face of it, but I am wondering how would all the variations on the rule be handled? Should there be a check box for no old rigs for 30+ day stays? Check boxes for 10, 12, 15 year rules, etc? A check box for no old rigs without pre-approval? And so on, since it's not a simple yes or no question...

20. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

I think the RV age rule is the same as alcohol prohibited rule. It is more less an escape clause for the campground proprietor to be use at his/her discretion. Example: I've been to many campgrounds prohibiting alcohol where I've had a beer or two either in my RV or on my site with no repercussions.
    If your RV is a total wrecked rust bucket, yup, not here. I have to agree.

Bama Camper and Rollin Ollens like this.