suggestion for additional info in reviews

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Trieste50, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Trieste50

Trieste50
    Expand Collapse

In the reviews section, wouldn't it be helpful to instead in the "site space" of stating, "long enough for my motorhome or 5th wheel", reviewers put in more specific size info, such as length? As in, "long enough for my 40' MH and tow vehicle" or the same for 5th wheel", helping with with more accurate size estimate/ I know it would help me as I have a 40' MH, towing a 16' box trailer. Just a suggestion. Thanks,

SueDIz, BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum and coming with a good suggestion too. I think that would be a good addition. I will do my best to pace out sites that I visit. My coach is short (28 Feet) and so is my towed Jeep so i can fit almost anywhere. For you, I can understand the difficulty. You need at minimum 60 feet! that's gotta be tough.

Darrell

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  3. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes additional information like that might be counterproductive. Often times parks have sites of various lengths. If a review said their site was just long enough for their 30 foot travel trailer the potential guest reading that review might conclude the park cannot accommodate their 40 foot fifth wheel. However the park may very well have sites that do fit such rigs and the park has lost out on a guest and that potential guest has missed out on a place to stay .

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

First, we have asked our website developers to add the length of the reviewers RV precisely for the reasons you have pointed out. We keep hoping this will be added in a future update.

Also the "Site Space" information is displayed under the section named "Campsite Details" which indicates that the information entered is for site that the reviewer camped on. While some people may think this information applies to all sites, most will understand that it is for a specific site

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

But all one has to do is add to their review , if relevant, is to add " but there are longer sites available. Call the park operator to confirm. It's not difficult to add a few more words to a review. there have been a few park that we have visited where we maxed out the longest site. Any one that had a larger unit would be wasting their time trying to get in.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Trieste50

Trieste50
    Expand Collapse

I agree and do think that most people reading these reviews realize the "site space" is only info on that one site of the reviewer. The actual campground web site will have info for ALL sites and their designated sizes and whether "back in" or pull thru". But, as far as I go, there can never be TOO much info. Me thinks.............

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I guess i really just skip over the "long enough" field on the reviews since there are so many variables here. Towing or not towing, large rig or small rig, location in the park, etc. When it comes to verifying if we will fit, i defer to the online reservation system, or the person on the phone taking my info.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. Trieste50

Trieste50
    Expand Collapse

I guess, according to you, then there is no point for a review web site. Just everybody find out on their own what they end up with or what to expect. I would wager, based upon this campsite forum (and many others out there), that there are a lot of people who would not agree with that attitude, And, I posit that a number, as in 40 feet, eliminates one more "variable", rather than adding one. And it really doesn't require much extra effort. Knowledge is power.

TravelingWorkerBees likes this.
  9. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm, if I post that my 34' Class A and toad easily fit in site 55 at Crooked River State Park would you then know that your 40' Class A and 24' box trailer would also fit? Then again, a few seconds checking the reservation site would show you that particular site is 80 feet deep.

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

So, you imply that the only relevant information in a review is the size of the space? This is only one small piece to the entire review.

When choosing a campground to stay at, i generally will scan through several reviews to see if there is a theme to any bad reviews. If several of them use keywords like "cramped", "small", "crowded", then i might make sure i mention to the rep on the phone that i have a 35 foot RV, and "will i fit?" They may only have a small number of sites that can accommodate my rig, and only they will know which ones are available. Same goes for online reservations.

Besides, have you ever seen an RV newbie attempt to enter a site that is perfectly sized for their rig, and become frustrated because they cant maneuver properly? Would this person post "not big enough for my rig", even though the site was fine?

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Interesting topic here....:D I just want to add that in all our years of RVing I have never run across a single problem of our coach not being able to fit into a given space that was reserved. When we make our reservations we check the park/campgrouind out by first reading reviews and the pertinent park information as others have stated, then check it out further by using Google Earth where I am able to move all over the entire facility and see where areas may be covered over with trees and where the open ones are, etc. We use a rooftop dome satellite dish and check for trees than can and will block the signal. By the way, I really enjoy and use the Google Earth "street view" in those parks that have it as I can drive right up to the space we have reserved or will reserve, and check it over fully. I also check the entrance to the facility and the interior roads just to make sure our RV can negotiate thru without problems getting to our site. And as a "backup" when I make the reservation I always mention the length of our RV and let them know we do not want to get put in a space where one or both ends will be hanging into the roadway or where we may not be able to open slideouts or awnings due to the space being too close to spaces on either side. So far this has worked out very well for us. For others maybe not so much but hey we all have our own methods of travel and to me the old phrase "practice tends to make perfect" does work when you do so. Sure this procedure does take a few additional minutes to do but to use it's a well spent few minutes that has proved successful in all our travels to date.....

Happy site surfing, BankShot..........(aka Terry)

#11 BankShot, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Paythebill likes this.
  12. Trieste50

Trieste50
    Expand Collapse

Jeez! This was just a simple suggestion. Not any mandate. Last word...........even Texasrvers, a site "administrator", commented that they have requested site developers make the change for that additional info. Safe travels everyone.

BankShot likes this.
  13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------------
    You sound a tad upset there Trieste50 but give the forum a chance. Everyone has their own opinions when certain topics are discussed and not everyone feels that added info on a review is all that necessary, etc. I happen to think what you requested is not a bad idea and, as you stated, Texasrvers did say that this kind of info has been requested in the past. I for one would probably never use it due to what I have already said in my other post but that doesn't mean others wouldn't. Especially with almost 725,000 members using this site. Surely a lot of them probably would. Hope to hear more comments and suggestions from you down the road and that possibly something does become of your current suggestion...................:D

Safe travels to you also, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  14. Trieste50

Trieste50
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Terry. We'll see what turns up.

15. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well stated Terry. Forums are for discussions. From discussion come changes and improvements that help others. Like you said, you would probably never need to use the info. I most likely wont' either. But just because I don't use public washrooms or showers doesn't mean that I don't include their conditions when I write a review. It takes only a few minutes to poke our nose into the facilities and then a few seconds to add the details into the review. Not a big deal but it does help a lot of others that rely on using public facilities. Isn't that what a review is all about? It's just sharing your opinion and passing along information. Keep up the good work folks and lets get along! :)

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  16. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I too look at many of the reviews listed on a given park we are thinking of going to.and rarely look at the site length as noted on the review. I know from years of traveling that not all parks have the same lenght sites, my normal interest is how close to the next rig will we be. If many of the reviews say, tight, or close or really close, I pass that park up. If that is not listed, I then look for photos and if we decide to go there make sure they understand the lenght of the motorhome and get assurance we will fit..

Paythebill likes this.
  17. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Too many variables differ from site to site, trees, large rocks, site leveling/pitch, folks parking directly across, your skill level, rv size and how tired you are backing in LOL :D For the most part I read the reviews and look to see if there is a high volume of comments of stuff that may interest me :cool: :)

Mike

#17 mdcamping, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022