"Any Takers?"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

That may be true Ron. I am not worried about price as much as availability. We travel pretty much by the seat of our pants so reserving sites is not what we are all about. I am a fan of BLM boondocking 'cause I like my space and it has been rare that I have not been able to find an area that suits me. Sadly, there are not as many options east of the Mississippi and that's where we are heading. We have pretty much done the west. Further, most camp ground fees are subject to tax gouging like fuel is (except Washington State Parks where non residents are charged more). We will keep on trucking thumbing our noses at Governments that don't like travelers.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Darrell,
    If I am not mistaken Georgia State Parks also charge more for non state residents. However they do honor senior citizen discount. But you must ask for it at checkin time.
    I am not aware of any BLM land east of the Mississippi. There is National Forest land that offers free camping. But many Forest areas are now closed due to misuse by campers.
    There are many Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds through out the southern states. These campgrounds are open to the public and they offer a 50% discount for holders of the America the Beautiful Senior Pass.
    Ron

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

*-
    +
    -+

+/
    Thanks for the HU Ron. Sadly, we Canadians do not qualify for the America the Beautiful Senior pass. Ya gotta be American. There are many States that offer Canadian seniors a discount. and some COEs do as well. I think it just depends on the host. We try to stay at these types of parks mostly because one is not slide to awning with your neighbor. If it costs a few buck more then so be it.

We have not spent winters n the desert for a few years now but this past one has opened our eyes to BLM abuse. How sad. I would gladly pay a fee if there would be a regular patrol to police the areas and dumpsters strategically placed. A lot of garbage we saw had to have been left by locals too. Mattresses, couches ,TVs and tires seemed to be the common stuff left behind. What is wrong with people? I expect more and more will be closed to camping because of this lack of respect for the countryside.

Darrell

Darrell

4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Darrell,
    Next time you return to Canada and then come back to the states, try coming back through the southern border. Individuals that do enter via the southern border get all kinds of free stuff including cash, cell phone, transportation and hopefully the America the Beautiful senior pass. :rolleyes:

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------
    Shame on you Ron!!! That was a real low blow. However in recommending that to Darrell you never know, he and Jerry might just give that a try. Always nice to get some free stuff along the way back, He may be even able to get his tank fulled with free gas if he tells the border guys that he is struggling to get home and can't afford the gas here in the US............:p Hey Darrell, you don' have to stand for remarks like that from Ron. You can simply sit down............:D

Regards to you both, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.
  6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

:oops: The devil made me do it :rolleyes:

#46 Paythebill, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Rollin Ollens likes this.
  7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

But I'm not really looking for free stuff! :) And just so that you are aware, even with the Canadian Loony only being worth about 75 cents UIS, most things are still a lot less expensive than they are here. Even California's gas at $6.00 / gallon is less that it is here in the Lower Mainland of BC. We pay a lot more just to live here in Canada........but we have free Health Care and you don't want me to get started on that!!! :) But I really like the way you are trying to look out for me!! :)

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse