2024 trip plans

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Fitzjohnfan, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

since its 'tis the season to be slow here on the forums, i thought i'd share our trip plans for the "big" trip next year.

Leave Denver around May 17th. and head through NE, stopping at a museum in Kearney. we'll continue on through Iowa stopping at the Herbert Hoover NHS to get a stamp for my National Parks collection.

in Illinois, we will stop in Chicago at the Pullman NHS, and in Indiana, we will stop by Indiana Dunes NP, and from there head to Sandusky and stay 3 days and 2 nights at Lighthouse Point Campground at Cedar Point while enjoying ourselves at the amusmement park, and also taking the ferry over to Put-in-Bay for a few hours.

From there, we will start heading home, going first through Dayton, to see some of the airplane history there (Wright Brothers and such). from there, we will head back some more, but stop in Kansas City to spend a day at Worlds of Fun.

we think this will take about 12 days, but we shall see.

if any of you have suggestions of things to see along the way, feel free to let me know. this is still 6 months away and flexible.

thanks,
    Chris.

Attached Files:

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Due to our medical constraints, my wife and I will be spending the bulk of our summer travels, 8 weeks in two week increments, at Gilbert Lake State Park in NY, with a 1 week interlude at Schodack Island State Park, NY (First time there). Our doctors don't want us to be more than a 2 hour drive from home and our medical care. We love Gilbert Lake SP obviously, both for the beautiful park and the fact that it's only about 20 minutes from our granddaughters house. Between going there and them coming to the park, we'll get plenty of time with our now 7 year old great-granddaughter. We're really looking forward to it!

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just 2 trips on the books for 24 so far, PA and Henderson Harbor NY. I the coming weeks we hope to be planning an overdue 2 week trip.

Mike

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We have no trips booked for the coming year due to wife's medical issues. Wife is still recovering from total knee replacement surgery. She will start outpatient physical therapy Dec 28th. Hopefully the PT will help her and will hasten the recovery process. Then we will be on our way...:)

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a few of us are being plagued with medical issues that are spoiling travel plans for the coming year. Sorry to hear about Dutch and Ron but I am joing in with our set of issues. First off our travels came to screeching halt when I had my hand accident, and now that I have recouped enough to drive and handle our coach, my Sigoth (short for significant other)has been thru double back surgery that is still keeping her in a lot of pain, enough so she cannot travel. The motorhome is currently with her grandson who is keeping it up and using it to gad about the highways and byways.. Hey at least we can moan and whine a tad here to hold us all up...right??? Happy Hew to everyone. I'm heading over to the fridge to crack open a bottle of Modelo Negra and wallow in self pity for an hour or so............:oops:

BankShot....(aka Terry) upload_2023-12-27_15-42-24.jpeg

Attached Files:

#5 BankShot, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Bankshot, sorry to hear about your sigoth double back surgery. Hopefully she will recover in a relatively short amount of time and you will be able to return to the road.
    Next time be sure to bring enough beer for everyone in the room...:rolleyes: Happy New Year to all

mdcamping, The5goodwins and NYDutch like this.
  7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I too am sorry to hear medical issues are keeping many of you off the roads. I pray for quick recoveries all around so at some point we can all get together and swap stories and adult beverages.

Keep the bugs off your glass and the bears off you a--!

8. D Colquitt

D Colquitt
    Expand Collapse

We have most of our 2024 travel plans reserved. In March we will spend 5 days at Laura S. Walker State Park (GA). We wll re-visit Desoto State Park (AL) in May, Mistletoe State Park (GA) in June and Rainbow Springs State Park (FL) in August. Our last scheduled trip is in October to Riverfront Campground (NC). I am looking to add a trip in September to either Reed Bingham State Pa

9. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

we went through parts of GA, AL, and FL last year. some beautiful country there!

10. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Well Guys

You mob are a bit of a worry with those health issues as I am expecting years of sage advice and guidance for years to come.
    @NYDutch look after yourself and the misso mate, Im sure that grankid time will make it more manageable.
    @Paythebill look after your lovely lady and give her my regards from rainy Brissy.
    Good old @BankShot, mate everyone here realises you are pretty much indestructible but make sure the missus is well cared for as I know you will.
    @Fitzjohnfan and I will keep turning and burning ensuring you get some new ideas and localities to travel to. I feel a bit ordinary putting our finalised itinerary with the things you lot are dealing with but I think you won't mind so here we go;
    23rd April Brisbane to LAX
    Overnight LAX
    24th April LAX to Miami
    3 Nights Miami with a hire car (Tesla.....yes I joined the evil empire:p)
    27th April Miami to Key West
    1 night Key West (Dollar is at .65 to the Greenback OUCH)
    28th April Key West to Islamorada
    1 night Islamorada (Great restaurants)
    29th April to Friday 3rd May Islamorada to Orlando via the following;
    Fort Lauderdale, Vero Beach, Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral, New Smyrna Beach, Daytona Beach
    Lots of spots but we have around 5 days and will be doing the beaches, spaceport, Daytona markets, craft beer, seafood, BBQ etc
    3rd May to 6th May Orlando
    Decided to pay for the special behind the scenes day long tour at Disneyworld as well as checking out some of the beautiful lakes etc
    6th May to 8th May Orlando to Pensacola
    Flying (Spirit Airlines:eek:) Pensacola with a couple of days including a day at the Naval Aviation Museum (Have a seperate post about that regarding access)
    May 8th Drive to Atlanta for an evening flight to Calgary
    Overnight Calgary (Hire car from here)
    May 9th to 11th Banff and Jasper
    May 11th Jasper to Kamloops
    (Break up the drive)
    May 12th to 15th Victoria and Vancouver Island
    May 15th to 17th Vancouver
    Fly out of Vancouver May 17th via Fiji with a 5 hour stop over in Fiji
    Return to Brisbane

PLAN NEXT ADVENTURE

Oh and @BankShot love the Modelo, plenty of good dark beers down here too Mate.

Anyway
    Keep getting better you lot....... remember;

"If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet"
    Rachel Wolchin

11. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason,
    Sounds like you have planned an outstanding and exciting trip. However, all joking aside, I would seriously reconsider the hire car (Tesla). In Florida, charging stations are few and far between. When you do find one you pray that it is in working order.
    Ron

NYDutch, mdcamping and The5goodwins like this.
  12. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Cheers Ron

Sage advice mate ill see where we are with the hire.....

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hey Jason I love your itinerary! As usual post lots of pics, I do hope you get into the Aviation Museum as I enjoy seeing those pics most of all. :cool:

Mike

#13 mdcamping, Jan 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    The5goodwins, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The wheels on my trailer didn't roll to much for me last year, hope to be back on the open road for 24! :cool:

Mike

The5goodwins, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  15. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Jaaon, sorry i dont have an answer for your question on the Naval Air Museum in Pensicola. Maybe a phone call to a live person there might clear it up?

While in Pensecola, i do suggest going out to Ft. Pickens, and the Gulf Islands NS. its a huge fort and beautiful white sand beaches.

16. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

Fort Pickens. And interesting history.

The5goodwins and mdcamping like this.
  17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a very exciting and enjoyable trip ahead Jason. So many neat places and areas you and the family will be visiting. We will all be looking forward to the many pictures and details that will no doubt follow after each stop. It is great that you are able to make these trips to all the places you have traveled to as it is a wonderful gift you are giving to your children who will have those memories with them for their entire lives. You mentioned Modelo and it currently my goto beer and is also the number one selling beer in the USA. I alternate between the dark "Negra" and the lighter "Especial". I drink Especial during the daylight hours:D and the Negra I save for the nightime:p. As always, travel safe and be well in all regards..........

Best regards, Terry........(aka Bankshot)

18. Safetyman52

Safetyman52
    Expand Collapse

19. Safetyman52

Safetyman52
    Expand Collapse

Is the museum in NE that you are visiting the Corn Museum?

20. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

No, its Fort Kearney State Historical Park. they have a campground there too which we may stay at.