Newbie Intro With Many Questions

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by sillypup, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Sillypup,

75% of full is 5% too low if you want that battery to last and last and last! Glad you had a good trip. Next time the heater will *eat* some of your battery life.

What did you finally decide on for a generator? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

QUOTE(sillypup @ Sep 10 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]8291[/snapback]

Hi everybody,

My first trip went very well! I went to a campground about 30 minutes away from home just to make sure everything worked, and it did! I had a great time and I met some very nice fellow campers too.

My second trip went great also. This time I ventured a whopping 45 mins from home, and I brought ALL my dogs with me. They are pretty big dogs (Rottweiler, Australian Cattle Dog, Pit Bull and Doberman) and the only slightly difficult task was to walk all four of them at once :D
    Normally I'll walk them two at a time, but with a little practice it will become easier, I'm sure.
    They all loved to hang out in front of the trailer people- and dog-watching, but their favorite was being inside the trailer in the tent-end that's been designated for them, just watching life go by on the outside :)

I couldn't get the heater to work, and took the trailer to the dealer when I came home, and it turned out to be a fuse INSIDE the heater, so they fixed it, and now it works fine.
    I had been a little worried about running out of juice in the battery after a day or so, but I stayed for 3 nights and 4 days at the campground, and according to the gauge the battery was still 75% full by the time I left. Didn't even get to use my new generator!

But my next trip will be for 5 nights in October, so I'm sure the generator will come to use then.

I'm hoping to be able to go on some slightly longer trips next year, and I guess I'll just keep practicing close to home until then ;)

Mia

2. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

You need to keep in mind that many rv parks do not allow the breeds of dogs that you have. And, many parks, while not disallowing the breed, will only allow 2 pets per rig..

Have fun traveling!!!

Jurhee

QUOTE(sillypup @ Sep 10 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]8291[/snapback]

Hi everybody,

My first trip went very well! I went to a campground about 30 minutes away from home just to make sure everything worked, and it did! I had a great time and I met some very nice fellow campers too.

My second trip went great also. This time I ventured a whopping 45 mins from home, and I brought ALL my dogs with me. They are pretty big dogs (Rottweiler, Australian Cattle Dog, Pit Bull and Doberman) and the only slightly difficult task was to walk all four of them at once :D
    Normally I'll walk them two at a time, but with a little practice it will become easier, I'm sure.
    They all loved to hang out in front of the trailer people- and dog-watching, but their favorite was being inside the trailer in the tent-end that's been designated for them, just watching life go by on the outside :)

I couldn't get the heater to work, and took the trailer to the dealer when I came home, and it turned out to be a fuse INSIDE the heater, so they fixed it, and now it works fine.
    I had been a little worried about running out of juice in the battery after a day or so, but I stayed for 3 nights and 4 days at the campground, and according to the gauge the battery was still 75% full by the time I left. Didn't even get to use my new generator!

But my next trip will be for 5 nights in October, so I'm sure the generator will come to use then.

I'm hoping to be able to go on some slightly longer trips next year, and I guess I'll just keep practicing close to home until then ;)

Mia

3. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Pianotuna> I ended up buying the Kipor IG2000P, just in case I decide I need more power in the future.
    So 75% of full is still 5% too low? Do I just plug in the generator for a while every day to make sure the battery never goes below 80%? And how do I know when it's below 80%? Sorry for all the questions, but this power stuff is like greek to me!! :blink:

Mia

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mia,

Great choice on the genny! It should do most of what you need except roof air. (or will it run yours?)

One reliable way is to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte. You were the one who said 75% *grin*, so how did you measure it?

deep cycle cells can be taken to 50% with some loss of life. Taking them to 20% is a definite "no no", running them totally "flat" is insane and 80% is very conservative--but gives the best possible lifespan.

The generator could be used to run your RV and recharge the battery--I'd think about one hour would be a good "shot in the dark".

Lead acid cells take a long long time to fully recharge.

How are you handling the "parasitic" loads when your RV is not in use? (solar for me)

QUOTE(sillypup @ Sep 11 2007, 09:21 PM) [snapback]8310[/snapback]

Pianotuna> I ended up buying the Kipor IG2000P, just in case I decide I need more power in the future.
    So 75% of full is still 5% too low? Do I just plug in the generator for a while every day to make sure the battery never goes below 80%? And how do I know when it's below 80%? Sorry for all the questions, but this power stuff is like greek to me!! :blink:

Mia

5. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

6. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mia,

Yes, plugging in will keep the batteries "topped up" however it may also *over charge* them. Check to see what type of charger is built into your RV! If it is the wrong type..then get a timer and turn the RV on for only an hour a day.

Yes, you can get a gauge for specific gravity at most places that sell car batteries. However make sure you are wearing your "grunge" clothing when checking or you will be dismayed by the holes that appear in your clothing.

I'm probably very conservative about battery use--but then I like it when they last "forever".

I'm glad you don't need the AC yet. I'm in TX as I write this and *melting* because this trip there was a motorcycle to haul--which meant *no* generator! (sob I'm melting, I'm melting)

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Boy, if you are female, travelling solo, AND deciding to tow a car, I admire you! I travel solo, but I'm too chicken to pull a car. I travel with an electric bike (example at www.egovehicle.com) on a motorcycle carrier on the back.

People are good about helping. Just don't be OBVIOUS. Keep a low profile. Be aware of your surroundings. The dog dish thing is a good idea. I have an "attack cat" for what it's worth.... And, if you drive into an RV park, no matter how desperate you are to stop for the night, if you have the "eebie jeebies," keep on going! Even if it costs you a reservation fee. There was an RV park in Spokane I wanted to stay at (Maple Tree, on Sprague) because it's location was convenient. I got to it, I said NO WAY and I kept on going! (I was overcome by the "eebie jeebies" when I got to it.) Found out later it's a haven for "female hustlers" (if you know what I mean) and drug dealers.

JJ

9. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

When I was traveling alone in the past, I carried a bicycle for a while. But, after thinking about it, I decided that a female bike on the back was advertising the fact that I was alone--so I sold the rack and bike.

Towing a car was no big deal. Use the proper precautions when driving with or without the car. I could not even tell the car was there----but, I was always aware that it was.

Jurhee