What's Your Annual Rv Usage/mileage?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Jerry S, Jan 11, 2008.

?

How many days do you use your RV per year?

1. 30 days or less.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 31-60 days.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 61-100 days.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 101-200 days.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Over 200 days.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm paying $40 a night (well, $36 with Good Sam discount) at a small RV park in back of a motel in Spokane right now. This park is on a good bus line, I ride the bus to visit my Mom. Is it worth $40? You be the judge.....

JJ

2. moqui51

moqui51
    Expand Collapse

Luckily for us we have been RV'ing for about 20 years and we have been to all 48 states when the gas was much cheaper. I am now grateful that we got the chance to do it as we have just decided this year that we will have to make a decision on whether or not we want to keep bleeding money to enjoy the RV.

We love our RV, but when you figure out the cost of Fuel, higher campground rates, higher insurance fees, higher costs of eating out once in a while, and just plain high costs, we are no longer sure we are getting enough enjoyment out of doing this.

Just today I had to decide if I really wanted to spend 16.00 in gas just to visit a farm that is a tourist attraction. If I added the other places of interest to this trip, to try to get it all done in one trip, I think the cost would be from 60.00 to 80.00 in fuel, and I can't get excited about doing that. It just doesn't seem worth it to me anymore.

We have also decided that we will no longer drive our RV to visit our relatives, but we will drive our car to visit and stay with them. :) Let's hope they are agreeable to this. LOL

We no longer drive over 700 miles from our home, and the last few years have not gone more than around 500 miles from home. For us to take any longer trips I would have to convince my husband to consider working at the campgrounds, something he has resisted so far.

The high cost of fuel has really taken a toll on us the last few years, plus add to that general increasing costs of insurance...FLORIDA!

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi, it's me again.

Recently returned from our first trip of the year - 4 weeks down to MS and LA and back. This has been our annual May trip for over 10 years. To combat the increase in fuel prices, I did three things:

1. We cut the trip length by a week. This is the first time in in years that the trip has not been 5 weeks. Savings: at least $200 in park fees and road food costs.

2. We did no superfulous driving. Our route (Chicago - Memphis - Vicksburg - Marksville, LA - Kinder, LA and back the same way) was under 2100 miles. In the past we would often go other places (Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, N.O., Branson, St. Louis, etc.) and the entire trip would be over 3,000 miles. Savings: $2-400.

3. On the Interstate portions of the trip (about 1100 miles), I kept the speed under 55 mph. I usually keep it just under 60 on interstates. I got almost 11 miles per gallon on those stretches - about a mile better than usual. Savings: minimal, maybe $25. That same efficiency could save me a couple hundred bucks this summer on my planned trip to NM, CO, WY, MT, and ID.

Additionally, on the way home last week, I paid $3.65 in MO, $3.95 in southern IL, and $4.09 just south of Chicago. Any bets on whether or not my $4, 90% full tank will be a bargain when I leave at the end of June?

Although the trip was shorter than usual and had less variety in places visited, we still enjoyed it. We will probably be less time and cost frugal when we make the same October trip since it will be our last trip of the year before returning for the long Chicago winter.

I hope my experience can help some RVers figure out ways to keep on the road. Maybe not as long or as far, but still on the road.

4. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jan 11 2008, 09:40 PM) [snapback]9859[/snapback]

Hi everybody,

To celebrate my one year anniversary on this forum, I thought I'd try a poll. I just hope I did the "poll" part right.

Jerry, congratulations on your one year anniversary! We just celebrated our second year of full-time living in our motor home and we haven't killed each other yet! :D We travel around the country for our business, so in response to the questions about the price of fuel, we will just have to suck it up as part of our cost of doing business! Luckily, almost all related expenses of living in our MH are deductible.

5. bj41

bj41
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John S. @ May 10 2008, 11:03 PM) [snapback]11451[/snapback]

Terry, I spent 150 a night at one resort type place. Try Cherry Hill in the DC area right of I 495 infact you can hear the noise it is 55 dollars the other option is the regional park in centerville called bull run and that is listed on this site at 40 dollars.. Also try there is one in new jersey called Liberty Harbor and some KOAs and jellystones are that much. I have also stopped at interstate overnight campgrounds. I will say out in the mid west and west it is chaper but the east coast and resort areas and beach area and many other places along the interstates on the east coast are getting there. They post a 35 dollar a night rate and then have 4 or 5 dollars in taxes.... Also in a 42 footer you do not always have as many options and I have not come across many that are in the 10 to 15 dollar range at all.

Hi,
    If you live on the east coast, $40.00 a night is normal and on holidays you might pay almost 60.00.
    I know I live there and it is the norm, I was very surprised when we traveled out west 2 years ago and saw how much cheaper it is for campgrounds.
    Over Memorial Day this year, it cost us $198.00 for 4 nights.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We just postponed a great planned trip to follow the Great River road up to the headwaters of the Mississippi with an Eastern side trip to the Ohio Amish country and MI, then with a Western side trip to “pick up” the Dakota’s and Montana so we could complete the lower 48 states. The reason you might have guessed is high fuel cost. We are going to go on some much shorter trips with longer stays at each stop. Hopefully the time away will be about the same and hopefully the fun will be the same, but we won’t be burning a thousand gallons of fuel.

7. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Gas in Canada has hit the 5 to 6 buck a gallon threshold and has definitely curbed my motorhome usage this summer. I still want to go across Canada and the States next summer, but I figure it will cost me 40-50% (that's a conservative estimate) more than the last time I did it three years ago. I notice not as many American RVs driving thru our valley this summer and wonder how it is affecting the Alaska RV parks?

8. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Just an update to my 6/08 post about what you can do to save mony on fuel while traveling. My summer trip was 6700 miles and I did it on 590 gallons of gas (11+ mpg). On previous trips like that out west with a lot of mountain driving, I would usually get under 10 mpg. I was able to get over 10+% better mileage by simply slowing down about 5 mph. I went from (my usual) just under 60 mph to under 55 mph on the interstates (which consituted about 4000+ miles of the trip). On open, two lane highways, I might go up to 60 to placate other drivers. I would pull over when necessary and, fortunately, there were plenty of passing lanes. On tough mountain grades, I would usually end up behind a semi doing 35-40 in 2nd gear. This slight slowdown save me over $250 on this trip. My guess (an I think I read it somewhere), is that dropping from 70 mph to 55 mph can improve fuel efficiency 15-20%. I realize that driving under 55 mph or not doing over the speed limit is not "macho", but it certainly saves money on fuel. Just a thought for those of us who have the time to travel at a slower pace.

9. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Now that I am done traveling for the year (just in time for the fuel prices to drop 50% from their summer highs), I thought I'd make a few (possibly) final comments in this thread. Not all of them will be pertinent to the topic.

I ended up doing 11,000 miles (3 trips: 2100, 6700, and 2200 miles) for the year. This, is by far, the fewest miles I have traveled since my retirement in 1995. Between reducing my total mileage by about 2,000 miles and the reduction in mph mentioned in my previous post, I problably saved almost $1,000 in fuel expenses. I still spent about $3,000 for fuel for the year but it would have been closer to $4,000 without the adjustments I made.

My comments in a previous posts concerning the poll results still hold pretty much true. The one thing I hopefully got wrong was my prediction that next year's prices would not be any better. The way thing stand right now, even I don't think we will be seeing prices next year exceding this past summer's $4+ per gallon. My guess is that the oil companies found that at $4/gal so many people cut back on driving that the total gallons sold during the summer was down significantly. I am sure that other factors (the general economic situation, for one) enter into the equation, but I think the oil industries found that magic price at which drivers would reduce their fuel usage.

Assuming we don't return to anywhere near last summer's price levels, I was certainly wrong in my advice earlier this year to not put off those 2008 trips because 2009 would probably be even more expensive. Those of you who did delay your trips look like winners now. Good luck with next year.

On a personal note (if anybody cares), I did reach a milestone (how appropriate) this year. I surpassed 250,000 miles RV miles this year. It took 18 years - 45K in my final 5 years as a working stiff and 208K in 4-5 months a year since retiring. That is all RV miles on 3 Class C motorhomes.

I've got 2 last reviews to do from my October trip and then be ready to get a little more involved in the forum. Although I've made an occassional post the past few months there are several topics I've held off on commenting on during my RV season (late April through early Novemeber). I've even noticed more than a few "testy" discussions in recent weeks without any of my often contrarian involvement .

10. wolverine767

wolverine767
    Expand Collapse

between 10,000 and 20,000 miles here. Gas prices have only affected us slightly.

11. RockHound

RockHound
    Expand Collapse

We have a pop up so compared to most of y’all, we have it a lot easier when it come to gas mileage. While the cost of our fuel does come in to play more now than it used to, it’s the wider ranging effects that have cut our camping more than half what it used to be. Higher fuel costs cause everyone to raise prices on everything to make up for it. It isn't just the cost of the actual trip that comes into play, but the extra money we have to spend the rest of the year. Unfortunately, we have to rob our camping fund to make up for it. Fortunately we are still able to get away at least one week a year. This keeps us sane until the next trip rolls around.

12. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

My own opinion is that we are all on borrowed time with our motor homes. The current administration has already put gas guzzling cars on their list of evil items and I feel that it is only a matter of time before we are next. Soon we will all be targeted as if we were Hummer owners.
    I also fall in the evil income category so between an obvious increase in my taxes, and anticipated future restrictions on motor homes that use too much gas, as defined by those legislatures in DC, I intend to enjoy my RV as much as possible.
    I am setting things up right now where I can deduct all travel expenses as part of doing business. I play the stock market and am constantly traveling around in my RV to inspect companies prior to purchasing any stock. If those in DC are going to play their games, then I am going to look for tax deductions in every nook and cranny. Where I used to travel just for enjoyment, I will now travel for "business", and deduct all mileage, depreciation on my MH, and any other items that I can find. I will not let the price of fuel, or our Gov't, to interfere with my pursuit of happiness at this point in my life. Last year I put on almost 20,000 miles of pure pleasure in my MH. In 2009 I will do at least that many miles but they will be for "business", and tax deductible. ;)

13. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

rgatijnet

Just be careful as you dance around the laws as this administration is just looking to find ways to get more money and we don't want to hear from you in jail!

14. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 22 2009, 06:32 PM) [snapback]17668[/snapback]

rgatijnet

Just be careful as you dance around the laws as this administration is just looking to find ways to get more money and we don't want to hear from you in jail!

For the past ten years or so I have made a living playing the stock market (not investing in it, but day trading with it). I seem to have a knack with it and it allowed both the wife and I to retire early and spend out time traveling around the country. Since ALL of my income is short term capital gains, I write the big check to the IRS each year. In the past I have just written the check, grumbled, and moved on. Since I can still day trade when I am on the road, as long as I can get internet access, I've never thought too much about it.
    With this new administration I decided to contact an accountant to see what my options are. Since my history has been trading stocks, it is not a stretch to travel coast to coast to visit companies and pick up a prospectus. Naturally I may stop and see the sights along the way. I guess I am sort of like John Madden who did all of his traveling in a MH because he was afraid to fly. I do have a pilot's license, but you get the point.
    In any case, I feel that this administration is forcing all of us to rethink the way we conduct ourselves financially. Now, I plan on doing everything I can, and using every legal tax loophole available, to minimize the amount of IRS tax that I pay. I can only hope that they don't figure out a way to regulate our motor homes out of existence. Those that tow fifth wheel trailers are already finding that a large tow vehicle is getting harder to find. This will only get worse.

15. Trailer Park Casanova

Trailer Park Casanova
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

We just rolled over 125.000 miles on our Yellowstone RV trip.

We tow with a GMC 8.1 gas pickup.
    Camshaft position sensor $95
    Crankshaft position Sensor $105
    ERG Valve gasket $5
    Transmission Solenoid $396

Fuel burn towing is around 9.5 MPG.
    A new comparable Pickup is now about a whopping MSRP of $58.000.
    Our friends with near the same set-up have over 200.000 miles so we think we're shooting for that too.

16. kaydbug

kaydbug
    Expand Collapse

:p I retired this year and we have tried to go somewhere every month. This past summer we went to Minnesota, 3k round trip. The price of diesel does fit into the budget, but it has not stopped us from going. We hardly eat out and I fix prepared frozen dinners for the trip. What we don't spend on eating out, goes to fuel. We use PA, Good Sam, and KOA for campgrounds or ones that can handle a 42' rig. We have had our new rig since May and have put 6k on it in 7 months.

17. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

It has been a little over 3 years since I started this thread. It seems to have a life of its' own. With the way gas prices look right now ($3+/gal. in much of the country), it looks like we may be headed for our most expensive summer gas prices since 2007. Since almost 200 folks here have already taken this poll, I am curious as to whether or not people who took the poll (or posted responses) 2-3 years ago still have the same outlook for this coming RV travel year. I, for example, still travel about 130 days a year and have averaged almost 14,000 miles/yr. since 2007. Before that I averaged closer to 17,000 miles/yr. for the first 12 years of my retirement.

So, does the prospect of $4/gal. this summer have any of the old-timers changing their plans this time?

18. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Not me. We plan to keep moving around the USA. Diesel is at $3.59 here now. Will be at $4.00 or more soon. See you on the road someplace. :p

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We always manage to plan trips when gas is the highest. We go anyway.

20. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I signed up to go to Kentucky again this year. I will go next November. I may end up rethinking that if gas hits $4 a gallon.....

JJ