Pit Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CaptainJayATP, Jan 20, 2008.

1. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(czimm @ Feb 18 2009, 12:35 AM) [snapback]15194[/snapback]

Do people view rottys with a tail different than ones without?

Not just rottys... :rolleyes:

Once knew a Great Dane mutt with nub-tail. Unmistakeable head...but that short tail scared the "zyz" out of folks. Sigh.

Great news is the flip-side: rotties can (and do) live among us if they are allowed to go undercover. Full tail. ;) Hint, hint...

2. thomasgunnar

thomasgunnar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Feb 18 2009, 02:51 PM) [snapback]15199[/snapback]

Not just rottys... :rolleyes:

Once knew a Great Dane mutt with nub-tail. Unmistakeable head...but that short tail scared the "zyz" out of folks. Sigh.

Great news is the flip-side: rotties can (and do) live among us if they are allowed to go undercover. Full tail. ;) Hint, hint...

In many places it in now against the law to dock tails. My rottie's mom has a tail, she came from Serbia when she was young. Her dad is a Canadian Champion.

3. catman2130093

catman2130093
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(czimm @ Feb 18 2009, 06:45 PM) [snapback]15200[/snapback]

In many places it in now against the law to dock tails. My rottie's mom has a tail, she came from Serbia when she was young. Her dad is a Canadian Champion.

I would like to add, and I'm not commenting on anyone here specifically, but every dog owner I've ever met says the same thing..."MY dog is very sweet, MY dog is under voice command"etc., and as farmerswife said, I can only see the dog. If the owner won't leash the dog because "it's under voice command" , then why would I trust the owner? I like to ride my bicycle, and I keep a night stick atrached to the frame. If someone's little angel jumps me, I will defend myself.. and have mercy if it tries to come through my screen door to get at my 2 cats. :angry:

4. thomasgunnar

thomasgunnar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(catman2130093 @ Mar 8 2009, 07:18 PM) [snapback]15398[/snapback]

I would like to add, and I'm not commenting on anyone here specifically, but every dog owner I've ever met says the same thing..."MY dog is very sweet, MY dog is under voice command"etc., and as farmerswife said, I can only see the dog. If the owner won't leash the dog because "it's under voice command" , then why would I trust the owner? I like to ride my bicycle, and I keep a night stick atrached to the frame. If someone's little angel jumps me, I will defend myself.. and have mercy if it tries to come through my screen door to get at my 2 cats. :angry:

Well from the looks of the quote it looks like you are commenting on me. My dog is always on a leash when not in her fenced backyard. That is for her protection not yours. As for your cats, she already has two here that think the world of her.

If you doubt what I have to say I can send you a book full of references echoing what I have said in previous posts.

I can say these things about my dog and she WILL back them up.

5. n2travel

n2travel
    Expand Collapse

I am one who doesnt trust these types of dogs. I have been attacked by a staffordshire terrier who traveled great distance to get to me. The dog was actually trying to get to my dog a collie, but because i seen what was about to happen, and there wasnt anywhere i could run to I saved my dogs life by picking her up and running around in circles while the stafforshire terrier attacked me... I have a few scars to remember this awful incidence.

People who choose this type of breed know these breeds are frowned on by most.. so rather than fight the system its something they need to consider while making the decision to own one. Unfortunately most don't and frown on those who dont understand their mindset.

:ph34r:

6. Gunnar

Gunnar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(n2travel @ Jun 26 2009, 01:54 AM) [snapback]17124[/snapback]

I am one who doesnt trust these types of dogs. I have been attacked by a staffordshire terrier who traveled great distance to get to me. The dog was actually trying to get to my dog a collie, but because i seen what was about to happen, and there wasnt anywhere i could run to I saved my dogs life by picking her up and running around in circles while the stafforshire terrier attacked me... I have a few scars to remember this awful incidence.

People who choose this type of breed know these breeds are frowned on by most.. so rather than fight the system its something they need to consider while making the decision to own one. Unfortunately most don't and frown on those who dont understand their mindset.

:ph34r:

I'm sorry you were attacked by another dog but why does that make mine bad. I have a rottie as you would know having read all the posts in the thread (czimm). If you would like I can give you a number of a camplite where we camp. They can tell you what my dog is like. I'm sure you wouldn't use that number to call because your mind is already made up.

These breeds are not frowned on by most. I would say more but right now I am vibrating because once again someone is black listing my dog and they don't even know her.

I would guarantee your dog would bite before my dogs butt stopped wiggling. I would bet my house on it.

7. Gunnar

Gunnar
    Expand Collapse

Just one more thought.

It makes me sad that you wouldn't even give my dog the opportunity to show what she and most of her breed are really like. This is because your mind is already made up.

8. n2travel

n2travel
    Expand Collapse

I understand your voice of reasoning... 100%. I really do.. and honor and trust your judgment but because I have alot to lose ... (I was pregnant and lost the child when attacked) now as I did than I would more than likely go to another park way before any sort of negative or positive connontation. Your probably the greatest person if not in the camp site but of all the world... and same with your dog.. but it doesnt change the fact that I would feel uncomfortable. Id like to think Im a rather fair minded person, direct of course, and definitely a risk taker but this is one I will not choose and instead move on.

I know many of friends who have one, but I just think differently and would not feel content around a dog like that. Doesnt mean I don't like you or your dog, I just wouldnt feel like I was doing myself justice by sticking around.

Any other voice of reasoning would not change my mind. So it is with hopes you understand my choices as I do yours. I wouldnt ask you to leave.. I would just choose to move on down the road as there are so many other places I could be and visit....

Do know I am not the sort to go back and forth on something. This is all I have to say. Happy travels!!

9. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

10. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

There is also a little bit more to the problem for an RV park. There are breeds which have been developed for their aggressive qualities. Some of them were originated to fight, while others were intended for security purposes. There are probably several other reasons for creation of aggressive breeds, and most or all may even be valid.

The catch for the park owner comes from the fact that many people fear these breeds. In addition, some of them will instinctively attack another pet if it should do something which the dog interprets as threatening and in rare cases that can even happen with a person. For the RV park, it is nearly impossible to make rules that are selective. If you allow one person to bring in his pit-bull, rottweiler, or any of a bunch of other breeds considered to be aggressive, then that owner must allow all of them to enter until there is some incident. If customers are afraid, they will not return and they won't send their friends to that park either.

There is only one breed that I truly fear and that happens to be the one breed that was involved in all three instances when I have feared for my well-being due to the actions of an unknown dog. For that reason, I am not comfortable around this particular breed, no matter who's it happens to be or how well trained it may be. That isn't the dog's fault, it is mine but even so I do not stay in places where this breed is common. Park owners know that this is a problem and so must try to keep as many of their customers as possible.

11. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

Gunnar,

I haven't read all the posts, but I gather you have a Rot.

In the "old" days, Rots, Dobs, and even GSDs were considered "vicious" dogs and were not accepted in CGs. Unfortunately, that continues to hold true in many places even today. I have a Golden which was refused by a private CG (on the phone when I called to make a reservation), which just shows you how little is known about dogs in general, and specific breeds in particular.

I have bred, raised and shown dogs in both conformation and obedience for many years and there is only one breed I would not accept - the pit bull. Unfortunately this breed has gotten a very bad name because of the many incidences of violence over the past few years. I'm not sure whether the problem is because of the nature of the dog or because their owners don't take the time to properly train them. It really doesn't make any difference as I'm convinced that it is best for me to avoid them.

As for the other "dangerous" dogs, I love them all when they are properly raised and trained. They would cause no more harm than my Sheltie, unless you have an inordinate fear of being licked to death. Sadly, you won't educate many people about your dog as their mnds are already made up and you can't change that. So, just blow them off and enjoy your dog wherever you can.