Driving I-70 W Of Denver

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by TitaniumRon, Mar 4, 2009.

1. TitaniumRon

TitaniumRon
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

In planning my "Great Out West Trip - 2010" :) I really would like to take I-70 from Denver to Moab, however, I'm a bit concerned about the GREAT Rockys. Has anybody pulled a large rig through this streatch. I'll be pulling a 37' 5th whl with a 2002 F350 diesel. Picking up trans parts along side of the road is not my idea of a nice vacation. :eek: Thanks.

Ron

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Ron,

I think you will be OK on this road. I remember some heavy and long grades but this should not be a problem. You have around 40 miles from Denver to Vail pass at 10,666 feet. Then you need to hold it back for around six to seven miles from pass. The tunnel is 5-1/2 miles long if I remember right. The grade is good on west to Grand Junction. You see all types of equipment moving up and down the grades. The trick is to take your time, stay in right lane, and remember no prizes for the first one down the mountain. Keep your speed low on down hill grades.

3. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I have taken my rig over that 70 going both ways to and from Denver. Steep in places and up and down speeds but nothing that you cannot easily pull with a diesel.

4. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

You shouldn't have a problem. I have a 38 foot 5er with an F-350 and have made that trip a few times. Going down is harder than going up. Just watch your speed.

5. standoris

standoris
    Expand Collapse

Hi Ron,
    My husband just did that route back in Sept. We have a 2005 F250 6.0 diesel and pull a 35 ft. 5th wheel. On the steepest hills the slowest we got to was 40 mph, there were always two lanes and we never went slower than the big semi-trailers. If you need a campgound in Moab, we stayed at Portal RV park. It was very nice and on the north side of Moab. We ate at a restaurant called Moab brewery and had their wonderful honey crusted chicken. Yummy!!! The Fiesta Mexicana is really good also. If you've never been to the Moab area, you'll of course want to see the Natl Park, but just incase you haven't heard or thought of going to Dead Horse State Park, it is definitely a must. You'll feel like you're looking at a bit of heaven when you step to the edge of the cliff!
    I hope that helped you!
    Doris

QUOTE(TitaniumRon @ Mar 4 2009, 10:18 PM) [snapback]15336[/snapback]

Hello,

In planning my "Great Out West Trip - 2010" :) I really would like to take I-70 from Denver to Moab, however, I'm a bit concerned about the GREAT Rockys. Has anybody pulled a large rig through this streatch. I'll be pulling a 37' 5th whl with a 2002 F350 diesel. Picking up trans parts along side of the road is not my idea of a nice vacation. :eek: Thanks.

Ron

6. Oldtymeflyr

Oldtymeflyr
    Expand Collapse

If you can make it there you should have no trouble getting over the passes.

#1. Speed control also means temperature control. It may mean a much slower speed and a much lower gear. Traveling 20 miles in a low gear bothers some newbies, don't let it worry you, pick a gear and RPM's that fits the situation.

#2. If you leave Denver heading west at 3 pm in the summer its going to be crowed and hot, we like a morning and late night departures, it will be at least 30 degrees cooler.

#3. On the down hills, drop to a lower gear just before the crest, do not let the vehicle accelerate as you crest the hill, you should go down the hill at about the same speed you came up the hill.

#4. It is not unusual to smell brake lining, make sure its not from your vehicle, you should not have your foot on the brake, you should have the right gear.

There are millions of RV'ers that do it every year, there will be a surprising number of vehicles on the side of the road with their hoods up, if you are a smart driver where you live you will not have any problems in the high country.

7. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

If your rig is in good shape you will have no problem. It is an Interstate Hwy and has 1000 of big RVs cross it every summer day.
    I'll probably get some disagreement, but as long as you stick to the Interstate System you shouldn't have any problems. Oldtymeflyr ave you some real good advise. Follow it and you will have a good trip.

8. Claudia and Pat

Claudia and Pat
    Expand Collapse

In Aug.08 we left Moab and headed for CO, took I-70 once in CO and had no problems. There was a lot of traffic, but the weather was good, roads were clear (unlike when we ski in CO in the winter...lol) and our ride with our rig went great. There are steeps parts that are a tad slow going at times, but for the most part we did great. My brother was also with us pulling their unit and neither of us had problems. Just give yourself plenty of stopping room and you'll be fine. Sometimes people think these 20,000 plus pounds can stop on a dime...lol...NOT!