Review Of Diamond Lake Rv Park 6/15

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by abbygolden, Jun 15, 2009.

1. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

Boy, do I ever feel sorry for CG owners! The particular CG in the title was rated very low with a do not recommend because of mosquitos. Stupid owners! It's all their fault that there is water there and that mosquitos even exist! I have no problem with the mention of the problem, but to blame the owners and give a rotten rating is beyond the pale. Luckily, people will look at the other ratings and pay more attention to them than this one. However, perhaps bringing some repellant to this CG would be warranted. LOL.

2. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

deleted

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I am glad that the website includes an individual's previously submitted reviews. I can look at those and make a judgment call on the opinion (vs information) that is being offered about a campground.

4. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

For once, I am going to disagree with Abbygolden and Gilda, I think mosquitos and ants are reasons to downgrade a rating, especially ants. Fire ants (the preferred Texas Ant) can be controlled. It is expensive and somewhat difficult, but it can be done. Mosquitos are somewhat similar, keeping the park area free of standing water can eliminate most mosquitos in certain situations. Spraying and treating standing waters also will put a large dent in the pests population. If the park is in a swampy area, there is nothing the owners could do, but I would surely like to know about the problem and honestly, I couldn't give a high rating to a park if I was blanketed by bugs whenever I stepped outside. It may be out of the control of the park owners, but it is part of the park. I experience a few ratings lower than I would like because of the the hills that must be negotiated to get to my park. (mountain roads are not flat) The hills are unavoidable and not really my fault, but I accept the fact it is part of what people will consider when rating my park.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

On one hand I understand that park owners can't completely control insects--whatever they might be. I never totally get rid of those Texas fire ants in my yard. But on the other hand, as western said, there are certain things an owner can (and should) do to reduce the problem.

Now there is the question of whether or not a rating should be reduced because of the insects. This is a tough one. My personal feeling is if it is a constant on-going problem, then that should affect the rating. But how does the RVer determine that. As we all know there are many times when insects are there one week and gone the next. There are always more mosquitoes after a lot of rain, and other bugs come out at certain times of the year. We have these little black things in Texas that we call love bugs. At certain times of the year they are horrible. If someone stayed at a park while they were swarming I am sure it would not be a pleasant experience. You definitely could not sit outside, and they somehow manage to get inside no matter what you do. This might cause you to give a bad rating for your stay, but in two weeks they may not be a problem at all.

I guess all this is to say I would take the middle of the road. I would probably mention the problem and lower the rating by a point, but I would not slam the park since there is the chance that we were just unlucky enough to pick the same week when the bugs were there.

BTW I also think the RVer can (and should) take certain measures to keep critters from getting inside.

6. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(westernrvparkowner @ Jun 17 2009, 10:55 PM) [snapback]17024[/snapback]

For once, I am going to disagree with Abbygolden and Gilda, I think mosquitos and ants are reasons to downgrade a rating, especially ants. Fire ants (the preferred Texas Ant) can be controlled. It is expensive and somewhat difficult, but it can be done. Mosquitos are somewhat similar, keeping the park area free of standing water can eliminate most mosquitos in certain situations. Spraying and treating standing waters also will put a large dent in the pests population. If the park is in a swampy area, there is nothing the owners could do, but I would surely like to know about the problem and honestly, I couldn't give a high rating to a park if I was blanketed by bugs whenever I stepped outside. It may be out of the control of the park owners, but it is part of the park. I experience a few ratings lower than I would like because of the the hills that must be negotiated to get to my park. (mountain roads are not flat) The hills are unavoidable and not really my fault, but I accept the fact it is part of what people will consider when rating my park.

You DARE to disagree with me and Gilda???!!!??? Our wrath will be upon you! If you don't recant, I will issue a curse on your wifi!

I agree that controlling ants should be the responsibility of the CG owner. Incidentally, far ants (as they are pronounced at home in Texas) didn't originate in Texas, they just migrated from way south of the border. Other than dynamite and flaming gasoline, there isn't much that control them. You can move them from place to place, but I'm convinced they are undefeatable.

Mosquitos, however, I still say aren't NECESSARILY the responsibility of the owner, especially if the CG is anywhere near water. If they try to control them via fumigating (poison), that opens more liabilities than they would bargain for. I'd rather have the mosquitos (as a camper) than have to suck in the fumes put out by a pesticide dispenser coming through the CG. Again, I have no problem with the mention of a pest problem, but when it isn't the owner who causes it I don't think the CG should be downrated numerically.

7. volkswerks

volkswerks
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jun 16 2009, 03:59 PM) [snapback]17009[/snapback]

Yup, and here's another one posted today for Lakeside RV Resort and Marina. Darn those ants. I think the owners put them in the rig's during registration.

Oh me too. I read them all...