Rv Park Near Yellowstone In Mid July?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Britmom, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Britmom

Britmom
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone help by recommending a decent rv site close enough for daily visits to Yellowstone national park. We have a 35' travel trailer and we do like full hook up. I realise that we are missing out in some ways by specifying this, but that is our preference. We are trying to organise a last minute trip for mid July and unfortunately Fishing Bridge is full. We will be travelling in from South Dakota and will also visit Grand Teton NP during our approx 1 week stay in the area. From there we will move on south to Estes Park so we prefer not to be west of Yellowstone. Am I asking the impossible at this late notice?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. moattorney

moattorney
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Britmom @ Jul 2 2009, 03:58 PM) [snapback]17298[/snapback]

Can anyone help by recommending a decent rv site close enough for daily visits to Yellowstone national park. We have a 35' travel trailer and we do like full hook up. I realise that we are missing out in some ways by specifying this, but that is our preference. We are trying to organise a last minute trip for mid July and unfortunately Fishing Bridge is full. We will be travelling in from South Dakota and will also visit Grand Teton NP during our approx 1 week stay in the area. From there we will move on south to Estes Park so we prefer not to be west of Yellowstone. Am I asking the impossible at this late notice?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am currently staying at the Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardiner. It is really nice and about 2 minutes from the north entrance to Yellowstone. I almost cancelled my reservation due to some recent reviews, but am really glad I didn't. The views are amazing, the park is very clean and the people couldn't be friendlier. I'll be posting a review at the end of my stay, but right now I am leaning towards a 9. I really don't know what the two negative posts were talking about, none of comments seem to be based in reality. I made my reservations well in advance, but I have noticed they have the "sites Available" sign out most mornings, However the sign changes to "full" before we return in the evening, so I don't think they have a lot of sites available each day, best to call.

3. Britmom

Britmom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(moattorney @ Jul 3 2009, 10:56 PM) [snapback]17335[/snapback]

I am currently staying at the Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardiner. It is really nice and about 2 minutes from the north entrance to Yellowstone. I almost cancelled my reservation due to some recent reviews, but am really glad I didn't. The views are amazing, the park is very clean and the people couldn't be friendlier. I'll be posting a review at the end of my stay, but right now I am leaning towards a 9. I really don't know what the two negative posts were talking about, none of comments seem to be based in reality. I made my reservations well in advance, but I have noticed they have the "sites Available" sign out most mornings, However the sign changes to "full" before we return in the evening, so I don't think they have a lot of sites available each day, best to call.

Thanks! I will certainly investigate further. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi Britmom,

I see by your other post that you have decided on West Yellowstone. That is a much better choice than Cody, WY (east of the park) for daily trips into the park. Gardiner, MT would have also been a better choice from the standpoint of "commuting" time to and from the park every day. I would have replied earlier but I thought others might answer your question with specific recommendations. I would have simply advised you to check out the reviews for Cody, West Yellowstone, and Gardiner.

Have a great trip.

5. Britmom

Britmom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jul 4 2009, 10:14 AM) [snapback]17338[/snapback]

Hi Britmom,

I see by your other post that you have decided on West Yellowstone. That is a much better choice than Cody, WY (east of the park) for daily trips into the park. Gardiner, MT would have also been a better choice from the standpoint of "commuting" time to and from the park every day. I would have replied earlier but I thought others might answer your question with specific recommendations. I would have simply advised you to check out the reviews for Cody, West Yellowstone, and Gardiner.

Have a great trip.

To go to West Yellowstone is a longer drive than say Fishing Bridge RV which is in the park, on the eastern side. We have 2 young children and we as we are coming from S Dakota we wanted to minimize travelling if at all possible. Anyway, it seems like there isn't really anywhere else that is decent on the eastern side without travelling from Cody which is a bit far out for us for daily visits to Yellowstone. So, yes, we have pretty much decided on West Yellowstone and we will probably stay over night in Cody on the way from Hill City SD. Don't really want to take the I90 through Billings so we are now looking into driving through the park with the trailer. Thanks for your input.

Regards

6. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

7. Britmom

Britmom
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the suggestion Lee and Fran. Have already booked for Lionshead RV - hope it's okay as it sounds as if new owners are about to do it up. I will submit a review in a couple of weeks.

8. snorebel

snorebel
    Expand Collapse

hi britmom planning trip similar in reverse from boston to glacier np to gardiner MT rocky mountian campground to tetons np colter bay rv park watching reviews. To hill city 5/d home mid aug any info you might get along the way would be most helpful thank you

9. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Just got back from that part of the country. I did not stay at Grizzly RV park, but it looked like the best park by far in West Yellowstone.