Batwing Replacement

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Sep 19, 2009.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

Are there any antennas out there that will replace a batwing antenna and work well? (I think they ought to be called hellwings).

Do the new digital tv's even require the kind of gain that a batwing provides?

2. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We have used a Winegard "bat-wing" antenna now for probably 20 or more years and have found them to work well and easy to use, as long as you don't forget to crank them down. There is a circular antenna that does not have to be cranked up, but from what I hear they get pretty mixed reviews. The Winegard antenna now has an add-on kit that is for the digital signal and it seems to help some.

With the digital TV signals, picture quality is better when you can get it, but the distance that it will transmit is much less. The amplified signal of our Wingard is only fair if you get into rural areas and non-existant when far out in the country.

3. chickenpants

chickenpants
    Expand Collapse

I replaced a batwing antenna with a crank up dish and then added a flying saucer antenna for local TV. I found that the flying saucer is truly omni-directional, it receives poorly from all directions.

4. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(chickenpants @ Sep 24 2009, 09:42 PM) [snapback]19204[/snapback]

I replaced a batwing antenna with a crank up dish and then added a flying saucer antenna for local TV. I found that the flying saucer is truly omni-directional, it receives poorly from all directions.

Great Post! You got your point across.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Kirk,

On the Winegard HDTV antenna upgrade. It will help on channels 14-51 only. I talked to Winegard people long time ago over this new upgrade. Lady said it may help a little at best as it is a clip on antenna in front of the main unit. As you wind it down you may not have room to lower it all the way down. This was our case, it would have hit the roof air park first. No help to me. May work for other people and we have saw a number in use to date. Pull up web site for more information.