If I Build It???

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Lonesoldier, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Lonesoldier

Lonesoldier
    Expand Collapse

Plenty of land, easy access to electric and water, can install large septic system.
    My question to me is,
    It to far from entertainment,
    groceries?
    restaurants?
    Large reservoir 30 miles.
    30 miles to Walmart supercenter, 12 miles grocery stores.
    40 miles to nice restaurants.
    1 mile from N-S Highway,12 miles from E-W 4 lane.
    Very quite, and remote.
    Opinions please.

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

In the population of RV’ers, there are all kinds. The question you must ask, is what % of them will like what you propose. On each line of your post, you are cutting out a portions. You must determine how many are going to be left. You must also have enough money to get establish yourself. The further you are from the beaten path, the longer it takes and the more money you must put into advertising. I started a small lodging business and it can be 24/7/365 for little money. Having one spouse working can be a huge help and extend the time you have to get established. In this economy, you have to be careful. Banks are very leery and we can all see there are fewer RV’s on the road. Many of us are hunkering down with our money as we do not see the things coming from Washington that are needed to help small business and the economy. You must see how much of your wealth you can afford to lose. Many small businesses fail. It can be a wonderful life, but it can also be a bummer. Good Luck.

3. Lonesoldier

Lonesoldier
    Expand Collapse

Just getting some input. This is a dream I have had for many years. I can do the work and I am aware that pitfalls are lurking. It may be a dream that has to get passed on.

4. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

If you are too far off of the beaten track, you are going to lose the overnight guests that are just looking for a place to spend a quiet night, and then be on their way in the morning.
    Once you lose the overnighters, then you have to offer the multi-night guests something that will entice them to stay at your RV Park, instead of going somewhere else. As you mentioned, it appears to be quite a few miles away from basic supplies, entertainment, and restaurants.
    Other than quiet, what are you going to offer your guests?

5. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Most people seem to want a campground where they can stop quickly for a night as they drive to their destination. I know that when we stop we don't want to drive miles off route to get to a campground. If it is that far out you most likely won't receive a lot of business. Those that are looking for a destination campground will want lots of restaurants, shopping and things to keep them busy. Even those that are retired and not looking for lots of "busy" things will want easy access to groceries and inexpensive places they can eat out.

The idea you have sounds nice but the location might make it difficult for you to achieve your dream.

6. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lonesoldier @ Nov 4 2009, 08:59 PM) [snapback]19899[/snapback]

Plenty of land, easy access to electric and water, can install large septic system.
    My question to me is,
    It to far from entertainment,
    groceries?
    restaurants?
    Large reservoir 30 miles.
    30 miles to Walmart supercenter, 12 miles grocery stores.
    40 miles to nice restaurants.
    1 mile from N-S Highway,12 miles from E-W 4 lane.
    Very quite, and remote.
    Opinions please.

This one is interesting in that apparently travellers who go N/S will have easy access while the others will have to travel well out of their way. Not a good situation.

The fact that it is remote CAN be good as it sounds as if it could become a "destination" park. However, unless you are in a very scenic area with a bezillion things to do/see, you will really limit those who would want to stay with you. Having to travel 40 miles to a restaurant is not a +, nor is 30 miles from a WalMart.

More detail regarding at least the approximate area in which this park will be located might ellicit more responses.

7. Lonesoldier

Lonesoldier
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Nov 5 2009, 08:58 AM) [snapback]19904[/snapback]

This one is interesting in that apparently travellers who go N/S will have easy access while the others will have to travel well out of their way. Not a good situation.

The fact that it is remote CAN be good as it sounds as if it could become a "destination" park. However, unless you are in a very scenic area with a bezillion things to do/see, you will really limit those who would want to stay with you. Having to travel 40 miles to a restaurant is not a +, nor is 30 miles from a WalMart.

More detail regarding at least the approximate area in which this park will be located might ellicit more responses.

Nothing to offer but peace, tranquility, a walk in the woods, wildlife, 1/2 acre fishing pond, 50 miles to Oxford Ms. 40 miles to Starkville Ms 60 Miles to Columbus Ms. the first 2 University towns, Col AFB for Mil retirees, Tupelo 60 miles, May I say Elvis.
    I was thinking more of sno-birds, not a destination park. A quite, relaxed place in the woods. Grenada, Ms 30 miles, great fishing.

8. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lonesoldier @ Nov 5 2009, 06:30 PM) [snapback]19908[/snapback]

Nothing to offer but peace, tranquility, a walk in the woods, wildlife, 1/2 acre fishing pond, 50 miles to Oxford Ms. 40 miles to Starkville Ms 60 Miles to Columbus Ms. the first 2 University towns, Col AFB for Mil retirees, Tupelo 60 miles, May I say Elvis.
    I was thinking more of sno-birds, not a destination park. A quite, relaxed place in the woods. Grenada, Ms 30 miles, great fishing.

If I was a Snowbird who wanted a quiet, peaceful life, this would be of interest to me. Still, you are a long way from anything so your audience will be very limited. I suspect this may not be a money maker but I wish you good luck.

9. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Speaking as a banker who handled a number of Campgrounds and recreational properties the simple answer would be "NO." It would take a lot of market research and a very strong business plan to make such a park look like a viable business. The mileages are too great to attract anyone who was looking to use any of those facilities. The restaurants, Walmart, the big lake, the towns etc. are all to distant to put any rigs in sites. I can't see how a park with only a 1/2 acre fishing lake could drive in business. You MIGHT be able to attract a few drop out of society types but they would come with very low revenue potential. Don't see it at all.

10. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

I didnt know it was possible to travel 30 miles without passing a Walmart anymore. I can send you a few if you like.... I have 5 in a 5 mile radius. Also, I have a few Home Depots and Lowes to spare.

If shopping is so sparce, why not build your campground and build yourself a huge store? Build something that can benefit the community as well as campers. Creating a convienience can go a long way with your neighbors. Keep them happy, and I am sure they will be willing to lend a hand when needed.

11. Lonesoldier

Lonesoldier
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the input. I am very remote, very sparsely populated and prefer to keep it that way. So, I guess the retirement life is what I will pursue.