Looking

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rv1, Apr 27, 2010.

1. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

I am looking for a good park for the 4th of july weekend. I am from chicago I dont want to drive to far for only a long weekend but I have two boys age 11 & 15 I will be going in a 31 foot motorhome not towing a car so need everything in walking distance. Any help would be welcomed.

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

RV1,

You need to define "good". Do you want full hook-ups, a pool, WIFI, cable, planned activities that would appeal to your boys (that's the tough one - 11 and 15 are more than just 4 years apart). Except for a few membership parks there isn't much within 2-3 hours of the city that I would consider a full service RV resort (one having the amenities I mentioned above. Even those that consider themselves "resort" do not have everything "resorts" in other areas do. Then there is your "walking distance " requirement. What is it you need to be withing walking distance of? Shops, restaurants, amusements????

Now that I've completely ruined your plans, I think your best bet for an area with more than a few RV parks with plenty to do is the Wisconsin Dells area. Then again, any RV park that is really "good" and within 6 hours of Chicago, is probably already booked for the 4th.

Sorry!

3. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 27 2010, 11:47 PM) [snapback]21827[/snapback]

RV1,

You need to define "good". Do you want full hook-ups, a pool, WIFI, cable, planned activities that would appeal to your boys (that's the tough one - 11 and 15 are more than just 4 years apart). Except for a few membership parks there isn't much within 2-3 hours of the city that I would consider a full service RV resort (one having the amenities I mentioned above. Even those that consider themselves "resort" do not have everything "resorts" in other areas do. Then there is your "walking distance " requirement. What is it you need to be withing walking distance of? Shops, restaurants, amusements????

Now that I've completely ruined your plans, I think your best bet for an area with more than a few RV parks with plenty to do is the Wisconsin Dells area. Then again, any RV park that is really "good" and within 6 hours of Chicago, is probably already booked for the 4th.

Sorry!Thanks for info full hook up a must walking distance for shops and amusements. I know 90% of parks most likely booked but putting it out there see what comes. You didnt ruine my plans cause I didnt have any.

4. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Do you want a park on the lake for water activities, or perhaps one that has fishing available? You may want to check out the state parks in that area, such as Rock Cut, Illinois Beach, or perhaps Starved Rock State Park. These are the sort of places we would have taken our three sons when they were that age.

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

When I saw RV1's reply to my post I thought he had just quoted my post and didn't post any comment. If, however, you check the last paragraph of the "quote", RV1 added a couple of lines that answered my questions. He wants full hook-ups and wants to walk to things like shops and amusements "near" the RV park.

Kirk: As noted above, RV1 wants FHU and, thus, the state parks you mentioned don't meet his needs. I have camped (and I do mean camped - in a tent) at IL Beach and Starved Rock decades ago and have been to Rock Cut (also decades ago).

Back to you RV1. Unfortunately most of the parks with full hook-ups I have been to within 100 miles of Chicago don't have much going for them other that that. Most of those and the few that might have enough at the park (pool and activities) are not within walking distance of anything. Many of them are a few miles from the nearest "services" (gas station, grocery, fast food) of any kind. Even going out 200 miles the pickings are still slim. I still think your best bet is the Wisconsin Dells area. I have been to the KOA there (a couple years ago) and it has a pool, b-ball hoop, and (from my perspective - at 60 I was able to walk to and from "downtown" from the park in less than 20 minutes) within walking distance of "downtown" Dells and the shops and boat tours. It can be crowded and somewhat expensive but it meets your needs.

Good Luck.

6. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Chain O' lakes state park has full hook ups. Not much to walk to though. You would be able to find a nice fireworks show nearby.

7. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Northern,

After seeing your post, I thought that maybe the state had upgraded some of their campsites at Chain of Lakes SP. I checked the IL DNR webite and, unless I am reading it wrong, it does not show any full hook-ups sites at Chain. Their best sites are what they call A Premium which means they have electric with showers available.

Again, if I am reading the website wrong, let me know.