Crossing To Canada

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by A.E.Michell, May 27, 2010.

1. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

I am going to Glacier NP in August and wonder about crossing by tow into Canada? And will they let the dog in as well? Thanks so much.

2. witchawomn

witchawomn
    Expand Collapse

I have the same question. We'll be taking two dogs in. What are the requirements?

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I've never crossed into Canada with a pet, but my understanding is that you need a current shot certificate. Make sure you have one.

JJ

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Do not attempt to take a gun. It also now requires a passport to get back into the US after going into Canada.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

You can carry a shotgun if you have the correct paper work for hunting only but no other types of guns or ammo. Long knifes are on the no no list as well. All good ways to see how the jail system works. No passport and you stay in Canada to you get one. People in Canada are very nice so follow the rules to stay out of trouble and enjoy all that Canada has.

7. Irene Mac

Irene Mac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(A.E.Michell @ May 27 2010, 12:55 PM) [snapback]22272[/snapback]

I am going to Glacier NP in August and wonder about crossing by tow into Canada? And will they let the dog in as well? Thanks so much.

No problem bringing pets into Canada - same basic rules as Canadians taking pets into US - updated shots and rabies. And please no guns - we are friendly!

Enjoy our beautiful Canada and Glacier!

8. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Irene Mac @ May 28 2010, 11:00 AM) [snapback]22289[/snapback]

No problem bringing pets into Canada - same basic rules as Canadians taking pets into US - updated shots and rabies. And please no guns - we are friendly!

Enjoy our beautiful Canada and Glacier!

Thank you all for the reply..I will bring Passports,shot records,a smile and let the weapons at the RV!

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I just saw this morning where a man got caught at the Canadian border saying he had no weapons. They found a shotgun and a pistol. He got an $8,000 fine and a suspended month in the hoosegow.

10. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

He was lucky to get off that light in Canada. You break the laws and you pay the fines plus jail time in most cases. The USA needs the same laws as Canada and we could see less problems here with crime. Everyday we see on local news and someone hit a 7/11 type store with guns.

11. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ May 28 2010, 08:22 AM) [snapback]22283[/snapback]

Do not attempt to take a gun. It also now requires a passport to get back into the US after going into Canada.

Not totally true, there are three states that issue "Enhanced" driver licenses that can be used to cross the Canadian/US Border, in both directions, via land transportation. May also be used on sea travel to and from Puerto Rico. They are New York, Vermont, and Michigan. These licenses are issued by the states DMV, but you must provide necessary paperwork to prove; that you are a citizen of the USA, that you are who say you are, and your physical address. We have used our "licenses" at the Canadian/USA border twice. No problem with that type documentation.

12. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Did this last year. There was no problem bringing our Bishon into Canada.. We had gotten special signed shot records and they never ask to see them, but we had them. Also, had passports which they did look at. Be sure to check your health insurance and car insurance. Some are OK in Canada some not. Good Sam has a free two day health policy that you can add onto. Coming back if you were a really cute girl on a motorcycle it took a long time to get back into the US-- couple of old retirees in a motor home were waived right on back!

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Jun 1 2010, 02:06 PM) [snapback]22346[/snapback]

Not totally true, there are three states that issue "Enhanced" driver licenses that can be used to cross the Canadian/US Border, in both directions, via land transportation. May also be used on sea travel to and from Puerto Rico. They are New York, Vermont, and Michigan. These licenses are issued by the states DMV, but you must provide necessary paperwork to prove; that you are a citizen of the USA, that you are who say you are, and your physical address. We have used our "licenses" at the Canadian/USA border twice. No problem with that type documentation.

Make that FOUR states. Washington State has the "enhanced" license. People UNDER age 50 are REQUIRED to get it. Those of us old fogeys over 50 are not required because it was determined that we are not likely to cause problems. But you have the option to get it. I didn't. I just carry my passport.

JJ

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Jun 2 2010, 12:09 PM) [snapback]22361[/snapback]

Coming back if you were a really cute girl on a motorcycle it took a long time to get back into the US-- couple of old retirees in a motor home were waived right on back!

Wanna bet? I haven't crossed Canadian border in my Motorhome yet, but whenever I have gone in my car, I get questioned! They want to know why someone is going by themself to Canada and not visiting anyone. Hey, I can't just go up to check out Canada Day? I'm 54! I'm not a "cute girl on a motorcycle."

JJ

14. Mike F

Mike F
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 3 2010, 08:49 AM) [snapback]22371[/snapback]

Make that FOUR states. Washington State has the "enhanced" license. People UNDER age 50 are REQUIRED to get it. Those of us old fogeys over 50 are not required because it was determined that we are not likely to cause problems. But you have the option to get it. I didn't. I just carry my passport.

JJ
    Wanna bet? I haven't crossed Canadian border in my Motorhome yet, but whenever I have gone in my car, I get questioned! They want to know why someone is going by themself to Canada and not visiting anyone. Hey, I can't just go up to check out Canada Day? I'm 54! I'm not a "cute girl on a motorcycle."

JJ

Just got back, via motorhome. Both times going into Canada, the rig was searched and we were held up for at least a half hour. Needed a rabies certificate for the dog. Showed our passports and asked general questions about our stay. Last time, they even opened a package I was sending to a friend in Ontario. Both times coming back into the states, we were all but waved in. So much for US security.

15. GaTripsters

GaTripsters
    Expand Collapse

HA HA! I used to be a really cute girl on a motorcycle, but I never rode it to Canada. Now, I'm a semi-retiree in a motorhome!! =D

NYDutch likes this.
  16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I bet your other half still sees a really cute girl! :D

BTW, this thread has been dead since June, 2010, so you may not see any replies from the original posters... :)

Wildfire likes this.
  17. GaTripsters

GaTripsters
    Expand Collapse

Awww, shucks. Yeah, hubby keeps telling me to quit talking about his girlfriend (referring to me) that way. lol I realized, after I posted, that this thread was ancient. Oh well. It made me chuckle. Thanks!! =D

NYDutch and Wildfire like this.
  18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Glad to help out! I know I still see the 19 year old bride I married 53 years ago when I look at my wife... :D

Rollin Ollens, BankShot and Wildfire like this.
  19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

GOOD ON YOU DUTCH............ !!! Really nice to read that......... :D

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

NYDutch likes this.
  20. GaTripsters

GaTripsters
    Expand Collapse

That is SOOO sweet! You've been married almost as long as I've been alive!! =D CONGRATS!!!

NYDutch and BankShot like this.