Frozen Tongue Jack

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by ibar45, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ibar45

ibar45
    Expand Collapse

Our first winter out, our tongue jack froze! Anyone have an easy solution to prevent this from happening again? Before we left the drive, we had used an entire can of silicone spray. There has to be a better way.

Need I mention we are new to camping??

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(ibar45 @ Oct 5 2010, 07:34 PM) [snapback]24471[/snapback]

Our first winter out, our tongue jack froze! Anyone have an easy solution to prevent this from happening again?

Don't camp in freezing weather. :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. I cannot answer your question, but I'll bet some of our other members will have answers that aren't so smart&%$.

BTW welcome to the site.

3. Jake Pine

Jake Pine
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ibar45 @ Oct 5 2010, 08:34 PM) [snapback]24471[/snapback]

Our first winter out, our tongue jack froze! Anyone have an easy solution to prevent this from happening again? Before we left the drive, we had used an entire can of silicone spray. There has to be a better way.

Need I mention we are new to camping??

Thanks for any suggestions.

You have gotten water/moisture in your jack. A plastic bag, bucket,... anything to keep the weather out helps.
    Silicone sprays are great lubricants but don't do much for the ice in the jack. The 'WD' in WD-40 stands for water displacing. Add some heat to the jack using a hairdryer or heat gun, and a liberal dose of DW-40. In a pinch a deicing product for auto windshields or locks will work. Anything that melts the ice/frost and you should be good to go.

Jack

4. ibar45

ibar45
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 6 2010, 12:15 AM) [snapback]24476[/snapback]

Don't camp in freezing weather. :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. I cannot answer your question, but I'll bet some of our other members will have answers that aren't so smart&%$.

BTW welcome to the site.

He-he, thanks for the reply

5. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

You may try the PAM kitchen spray that keeps things from sticking to the bottom of the pans. I spray the fins in our refrigerator with it and it seems to minimize the amount of frost that accumulates. I have a class A and quite often my levelers will freeze to the ground. I have foound that a piece of wax paper placed under the levelers will usually keep them from sticking to the frozen ground. We love to travel in the cold weather and even the snow does not discourage us too much. Last year we had to use our snow chains twice and this Winter will put us in Utah and Colorado where I am sure we will have cold weather again. The lack of crowds is what makes it so appealing to us. Just about the time everyone is heading TO Florida, we are heading out of Florida. :D

6. ibar45

ibar45
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Oct 6 2010, 12:15 PM) [snapback]24482[/snapback]

You may try the PAM kitchen spray that keeps things from sticking to the bottom of the pans. I spray the fins in our refrigerator with it and it seems to minimize the amount of frost that accumulates. I have a class A and quite often my levelers will freeze to the ground. I have foound that a piece of wax paper placed under the levelers will usually keep them from sticking to the frozen ground. We love to travel in the cold weather and even the snow does not discourage us too much. Last year we had to use our snow chains twice and this Winter will put us in Utah and Colorado where I am sure we will have cold weather again. The lack of crowds is what makes it so appealing to us. Just about the time everyone is heading TO Florida, we are heading out of Florida. :D

Thanks, good suggestion; never heard of using Pam or wax paper.

I'm with you, it's nice to be nearly isolated, very quiet. Plus my nightly campfire doesn't disturb anyone!