Dog Repellant Tip

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by B. Kidd, Oct 12, 2011.

1. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

We have spent the last two winters at a RV resort in Yuma. For some reason, last year we had more snowbirds then the year before whom RV with 2-3 dogs (mostly small ones) but walk them (or shall I say, the dogs walk them) with extension dog leashes; and they failed to keep them on a shorter leash. The park does have a lengthy dog walk, but this occurred on the way to the dog walk.
    One lady walked three daschunds at the same time and she let them urinate on the front part of my site and my front tire covers 3-4 times. Finally, I politely confronted her about it, and she did not say anything in response, but if looks could kill, well, I would not be posting this now.
    Anyways, to make a long story longer, a few similar isolated instances occurred with single dog owners.
    I'm not the type to run to park mgmt. over every little thing, so halfway through last season I bought Repel II Dog Repellant granules and spread them generously over the front of my site.
    Result: No Problemo!
    Works great in small areas, like the front of my back-in site.
    BTW, I like dogs, don't own any.
    Repel II available at Wal-Marts or Petco.

2. hoefler

hoefler
    Expand Collapse

Ammonia in a squirt bottle works well as well.

3. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

I love my dog but would not in a million years let her urinate on someone's rv wheel covers. Very very rude and inconsiderate. I do let ours hit the grass with number one, but never close to someone's coach.

4. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Oct 12 2011, 05:42 PM) [snapback]27871[/snapback]

I bought Repel II Dog Repellant granules and spread them generously over the front of my site.

And for those of us that are responsible dog owners that happen to get the site after you - what happens to my dog now that we are in a site full of this? Do you clean up the repellant before you leave?
    Again, it's just like someone said in another post when someone mentioned a walker letting their dog go on someone's cooler - he said if that happened to him, he would drop kick the dog. You are punishing the dogs, not the irresponsible owners.

5. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Oct 13 2011, 05:53 AM) [snapback]27880[/snapback]

And for those of us that are responsible dog owners that happen to get the site after you - what happens to my dog now that we are in a site full of this? Do you clean up the repellant before you leave?
    Again, it's just like someone said in another post when someone mentioned a walker letting their dog go on someone's cooler - he said if that happened to him, he would drop kick the dog. You are punishing the dogs, not the irresponsible owners.

Self-admitted, responsible dog owners, like yourself, are to be commended.
    Granules are to be lightly sprinkled, not piled onto the ground. They become inert/inactive/ineffective after one week of application. Dousing with water speeds up that process, which I do at my Yuma site before I leave, as it rarely rains there.
    I also stay at my Yuma retreat for 4-5 months every winter, and reserve the same site every winter season for the past 2 years and am headin' there again this winter.
    I never have, or would use 'Repellant II' at short term sites.
    Your accusation of dog punishing, comparing what I'm doing to kickin' dogs is just, well,...... wrong.

6. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(hoefler @ Oct 12 2011, 06:38 PM) [snapback]27875[/snapback]

Thanx for the tip 'H'.
    Might try at shorter term sites, like 1-2 weeks, that I stay at in the future and encounter this problem.

7. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(hoefler @ Oct 12 2011, 08:38 PM) [snapback]27875[/snapback]

I can just imagine the problems this could cause. One would assume that the dog is on a lead with the owner being on the other end. Using a spray bottle to spray the dog also opens the possibility of spraying the owner. You can imagine the legal problems this would open. If it happened to me I'd sue so fast it would make your head spin.

That said, I'm one of the responsible owners. My dogs are always on no more than a 6' lead and never are allowed to go on another RV owners property unless invited. My pockets always have poop bags, just in case (for them, not me, although... :D )

The best way to keep a dog from defiling your space is to ask the owner to control his dog. If that fails, see the park management and complain. If that fails, sue both parties. I think that's really petty, but if it means that much to you that is a logical way of doing things. Temeber that you don't own the space, you are just using it for awhile. It's common courtesy to respect that your space is yours, but you don't OWN it and I doubt that if it ever came to it that you could defend you actions in court.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I could be wrong, but I thought the post about spraying ammonia meant that it should be sprayed on the ground, NOT the dog. Good grief, spraying it on the dog would be horrible!

Also this is a little off topic, but I have noticed that we sure are a "sue happy" bunch. There have been several posts recently that the suggested solution to a problem is to sue the other party. Just an observation; and I'd probably sue if someone sprayed my dog with ammonia.

9. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Oct 13 2011, 05:24 PM) [snapback]27889[/snapback]

Self-admitted, responsible dog owners, like yourself, are to be commended.
    Granules are to be lightly sprinkled, not piled onto the ground. They become inert/inactive/ineffective after one week of application. Dousing with water speeds up that process, which I do at my Yuma site before I leave, as it rarely rains there.
    I also stay at my Yuma retreat for 4-5 months every winter, and reserve the same site every winter season for the past 2 years and am headin' there again this winter.
    I never have, or would use 'Repellant II' at short term sites.
    Your accusation of dog punishing, comparing what I'm doing to kickin' dogs is just, well,...... wrong.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't intend for you to be compared to kicking a dog, just that the dogs were being punished for stupid owners.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

just that the dogs were being punished for stupid owners.

Sounds like maybe the dogs should sue the stupid owners.

11. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

Hap-Camper, looking back on my OP, I can see that clarification was needed. You brought up valid concerns.
    Myself, I didn't take 'hoefler''s post to mean that one actually sprays the dog with ammonia.

12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Amazing thread.
    I too, have had to ward off reasonably intelliegent dogs towing oblivious humans.
    Spritzing diluted bleach water on the gravel at the front of the rig worked wonders. It breaks down in the sun, so one needs to spritz every other morning (or so) before the thundering herd of dog walkers hit.

Don't spray your tires. :eek:
    We were lucky in that we could park far enough to the back of our lot that dogs passed us by before they could get to the tires.

Their owners never had a clue.
    ;)

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Oct 26 2011, 11:24 PM) [snapback]28033[/snapback]

reasonably intelliegent dogs towing oblivious humans.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 26 2011, 09:49 PM) [snapback]28035[/snapback]

reasonably intelliegent dogs towing oblivious humans.

We have just returned from a month long trip where we have stayed an numerous parks. Some up-scale resorts, some Mom & Pop over-nighters and lots in between. What I have noticed at a lot of parks these days are heavy handed rules and mostly relating to dogs. There was a time not so long ago when there were very few rules. Common sense prevailed and pretty much everyone got along.

I think we dog owning campers are creating an atmosphere of not being welcome anymore. We stayed at one park in Wilsonville Or. that, although they say they will allow pets, is so restricted that if you have a pet......don't bother staying there. This was the extreme but the tone seems to becoming more common.

I believe I am a responsible dog owner. We have travelled with a dog for over forty years now. We have always cleaned up after them. We do it at home and it's no different when we are away. We have a Miniature Poodle at present. I think they may be considered one of the yappyest breeds but she has been taught to stop barking. I won't say that she doesn't bark at all but she does stop on command. We know her schedule thus are "ready for her". When she has to go, we are usually in the designated area (if there is one).

I think that I am doing all the right things to minimize her affect on other campers but am I, and other pet owners, being "oblivious"? Or are there that may irresponsible people who have pets out there?

15. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Oct 27 2011, 05:12 AM) [snapback]28036[/snapback]

We have just returned from a month long trip where we have stayed an numerous parks. Some up-scale resorts, some Mom & Pop over-nighters and lots in between. What I have noticed at a lot of parks these days are heavy handed rules and mostly relating to dogs. There was a time not so long ago when there were very few rules. Common sense prevailed and pretty much everyone got along.

We worked at an RV Park this summer as camp hosts. it was close to ATV trails so the ONLY rule we has was no riding of 4 wheelers in the park except to and from trails. I told folks that we didn't have a lot of rules. Just the Golden one. That worked well.

16. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Oct 27 2011, 06:12 AM) [snapback]28036[/snapback]

I think that I am doing all the right things to minimize her affect on other campers but am I, and other pet owners, being "oblivious"? Or are there that may irresponsible people who have pets out there?

In a short answer yes.Had a woman two sites from ours with three dogs at Fort Pickens in Florida that let her dog crap with in three feet in front of my steps and left it there.I did confront her with Lady I don`t crap next to your trailer so why do you let your dog do it to other campers? She had to go to her trailer and look for something to get it up in so she had no intention of picking up after them and these were not small dogs. Not that there is that many that do this kind of thing but it hurts the rest of pet owners and that is what is remembered.We were there two weeks and I am sure that may be twenty dogs a day came by our sight but that was the one I remembered. :angry: I did see a few more at this same park in that two weeks not picking up but at least they were in the woods and not on a camp site.

17. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Wink is right. Unfortunately we remember the ones that are oblivious.
    Currently across the street from what now is considered a "good" dog owner.
    Morning: Door opens and dog comes out. No leash.

She completes her 'affairs' and goes back to the door to be let in. Owner comes out and cleans up. First hurdle cleared.

Next the owners come out, lock the RV door and drive off. Dog barking / howling inside RV. At least she tires of howling after a couple hours. Poor creature.

Owners return by mid-day and let her out again. Still no leash. Whew, she got to relieve herself again. Thank God (yellow lab) she knows where her boundries are.

Owners clean up and start the bbq and beers. Now, THEY become the issue. At least their dog is sleeping quietly under their rig...no leash.

Lower your expectations. B)

18. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

I haven't had any problems with owners letting their dogs pee on our things. Have had to clean up dog poo in a couple of sites we came into, but never after we have been there. Did have one guy have the problem with dog poo in front of his site. He went out and got several of these little flags on a wire and put them around the dog poo for all to see. No problems after that. :lol:

I have more problems with barking dogs. Kids running around screaming. No problem. Barking dog is like fingernails down a chalkboard. Talking about barking dogs to most owners is a waste of time. I think one of these days I'm going to get a recorder and some very large speakers and play their dogs barking back at them at 3 AM. :)

19. emy

emy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Oct 27 2011, 09:09 AM) [snapback]28038[/snapback]

We worked at an RV Park this summer as camp hosts. it was close to ATV trails so the ONLY rule we has was no riding of 4 wheelers in the park except to and from trails. I told folks that we didn't have a lot of rules. Just the Golden one. That worked well.

Great idea..... on saying you have one main rule. I own a business and will be using this one. :)

20. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Oct 12 2011, 02:42 PM) [snapback]27871[/snapback]

We have spent the last two winters at a RV resort in Yuma. For some reason, last year we had more snowbirds then the year before whom RV with 2-3 dogs (mostly small ones) but walk them (or shall I say, the dogs walk them) with extension dog leashes; and they failed to keep them on a shorter leash. The park does have a lengthy dog walk, but this occurred on the way to the dog walk.
    One lady walked three daschunds at the same time and she let them urinate on the front part of my site and my front tire covers 3-4 times. Finally, I politely confronted her about it, and she did not say anything in response, but if looks could kill, well, I would not be posting this now.
    Anyways, to make a long story longer, a few similar isolated instances occurred with single dog owners.
    I'm not the type to run to park mgmt. over every little thing, so halfway through last season I bought Repel II Dog Repellant granules and spread them generously over the front of my site.
    Result: No Problemo!
    Works great in small areas, like the front of my back-in site.
    BTW, I like dogs, don't own any.
    Repel II available at Wal-Marts or Petco.

PostScript:
    Spent 5 months in Yuma this year.
    Not a dog stain on my tirecovers this whole season.........not that some of them wanted to!