Rv's At Hotels?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Fitzjohnfan, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Not a big deal, just a topic for discussion;
    I've always been curious as to why I've frequently see RV's in hotel parking lots. I can understand if the unit is small (teardrop, tent trailer, etc.) that the users need one night with showers & electricity, but why do larger units utilize hotels as well? I would think the facilities in the RV would be sufficient, even if boondocking for any need.

Any thoughts as to why?

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

They're not staying inside - they just park for a few hours to use the free wi-fi :lol:

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

During snowbird transit season some will stop at hotels overnight rather than stay in an rv that is still winterized. We used to do that once in a while when traveling in areas where campgrounds were closed because we just do not like overnighting at Wally World, truck stops or rest areas.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The 45 foot units I have found were living in the motorhome not the hotel. They also were a rolling Wi-Fi hotspot as well with names like Big Bus, Big Boy, and some other odd names. You could see them outside your hotel window in parking lot. Most show up in the fall months. All had out of state plates. They did not need anything that I could see. I could only guess they ask the hotel if this was OK. Hotels did not have a lot of cars in the parking lot. All units were in TX. :)

5. Goose Creek

Goose Creek
    Expand Collapse

Seems to me if they can afford one of those 45' castles on wheels, they should be able to afford an air card and not steal WiFi from a motel.

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

When I'm on a trip I spend 1 night in 7 in a hotel just to give myself a "break" from the Rv. I also eat out "one day a week" to give myself a "break" from cooking.

7. imagardener

imagardener
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 20 2011, 06:05 PM) [snapback]28451[/snapback]

Hi,

When I'm on a trip I spend 1 night in 7 in a hotel just to give a myself a "break" from the Rv. I also eat out "one day a week" to give myself a "break" from cooking.

This is what we do too (but prefer cooking our own food). We travel in a conversion van which is small and there are times we want a room with a bathtub (me) and fast wifi and room to stretch out on the floor for yoga and to catch up on CNN (no satellite dish).

Also when traveling cross country there are areas with few desirable RV parks close-by so we do an overnight motel near the interstate.

And lastly when traveling in tornado season, which can be all across the south and middle section of US, we like to be in a building, watching the Weather Channel for updates. We spent a scary night in April at an Ocala park with a tornado bearing down in the middle of the night. We had wifi and could see the tornado band on radar coming toward us, tried to reserve a room nearby but all were taken. We hunkered down in the concrete block washroom with another family while others blissfully(?) slept in their RV's. No managers on site, they went home at 5pm. It missed us by 20 miles but that was too close.

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Goose Creek @ Dec 20 2011, 02:58 PM) [snapback]28450[/snapback]

Seems to me if they can afford one of those 45' castles on wheels, they should be able to afford an air card and not steal WiFi from a motel.

Perhaps those "castle" owners are as concerned with parking in a safe environment as the rest of us. If they were parked in a McDonald's lot would that also be considered stealing Wi-Fi signals?

Since none of us knows why anyone chooses to park the rig at any one place, for any one reason, is it possible that you could be a bit less envious and a bit more understanding?

9. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

Several hotels in our area have installed 30/50 Amp pedestals to accomodate RVs. Sometimes the RVers are in town for an event such as a family reunion. Many of those attending may not own an RV, so they stay in the hotel. The RVing members may want to be as close as possible to the others to make it easier to get together.

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RanMan @ Dec 22 2011, 09:25 AM) [snapback]28462[/snapback]

Several hotels in our area have installed 30/50 Amp pedestals to accomodate RVs. Sometimes the RVers are in town for an event such as a family reunion. Many of those attending may not own an RV, so they stay in the hotel. The RVing members may want to be as close as possible to the others to make it easier to get together.

that actually makes since. If there is some type of conference or event going on in the hotel, some of the attendees might bring their RV. Also some celebrities may stay in the rV but the "help" would stay in the hotel.

BTW RLM, no envy here of the.45' bohemoths. There are many places those rigs can't go that my 32' coach can.

11. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Dec 20 2011, 04:01 PM) [snapback]28445[/snapback]

Not a big deal, just a topic for discussion;
    I've always been curious as to why I've frequently see RV's in hotel parking lots. I can understand if the unit is small (teardrop, tent trailer, etc.) that the users need one night with showers & electricity, but why do larger units utilize hotels as well? I would think the facilities in the RV would be sufficient, even if boondocking for any need.

Any thoughts as to why?

Just one answer to the question, maybe new units being delivered to dealerships. Drivers can't stay nor use in any fashion the amenities contained within............