New England, Best Campgrounds On/near The Ocean?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by ontariogirl, Dec 27, 2011.

1. ontariogirl

ontariogirl
    Expand Collapse

Hi - we are planning a long trip down to the eastern coast this summer, and usually stay at Nickerson State Park (Cape Cod) and Salisbury State Park, which I absolutely love, but am looking for a change. We like to be close to the ocean or on water. Can anyone suggest any other campgrounds on ore near the ocean in Maine, Mass. or Conn.? We have a large travel trailer, two children and a dog. Thanks!

2. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

In Connecticut, Hammonassette State Park has great dry camping - no hookups. On the shore of Long Island Sound. No sites directly on the water, but very close. Very busy in summer, you need reservations on holiday weekends.

3. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

There is an oceanfront park (called Moorings Oceanfront RV Park) in Belfast Maine. We stayed there. It was fine, and reasonably close to Acadia NP. No sewer hookup, at least on the sites down closer to the water -- not sure about the others, but they will come and pump you out for a fee.

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

If you are looking for campgrounds in the state of Maine, there are a number of Rv parks on Mount Dessert Island, (Bar Harbor--Acadia Nat'l Park area) that are either on or next to water. Check pricing, as some are very pricey for what is provided. Of course there are numerous Rv parks along the coast, but some do not have full hookups due to their being close to the water.
    Just my two cents...........

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Maybe the Old Orchard Beach ME, area... There's Bayley's, it's pricy but your sure not to be board and I think they have a trolly that goes back and fourth to the beach. Also there's Hid'n Pines and Power Horn Camping Resort, both campgrounds are next to each other and I think their owned by the same family. Hid'n Pines is more quiet. Both campgrounds from what I remember are about a 20 to 25 minute walk to the beach

If you want to actually swim in the water, better go in mid AUG....water by then peaks at about 65 degrees!! :eek:

Mike