Medical Coverage In Usa For Canadians

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Mar 6, 2013.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I've been relying on my Visa medical coverage for trips to USA. However, that expires when one is 65 years old.

I found out that the Gold Global Payment Card from my local credit union has 31 days of coverage up to age 75! I've applied today. It is, in some cases, a "no fee" card.

Update. The Gold Global Payment card is $96.00 per year and requires a 5000.00 line of credit. It is still a good deal.

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Mar 6 2013, 07:32 PM) [snapback]32747[/snapback]

Hi,

I've been relying on my Visa medical coverage for trips to USA. However, that expires when one is 65 years old.

I found out that the Gold Global Payment Card from my local credit union has 31 days of coverage up to age 75! I've applied today. It is, in some cases, a "no fee" card.

Don

You should check to see if that card will allow you to top up (for additional days of coverage) using another insurance company. I have 60 days coverage through my former work place and go through BCAA for any additional coverage beyond the 60 days, but I asked my former employer first if I was allowed to do this.

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

My former union has a supplementary medical plan that covers things like private hospital rooms, medication not yet on the list, acupuncture, and at an additional cost travel insurance including health insurance and air ambulance worldwide. There is no age limit and it has competitive rates because of the huge number of people in it. Retirees can keep this protection, and that's what we did, of course hoping we'll never need it..... :)

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I checked and the coverage can be extended by purchasing a policy.