Camping Virgins from Austin

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by westlaker, Jun 13, 2016.

1. westlaker

westlaker
    Expand Collapse

Family of 5 (small kids) rolling for two months from here to NM, CO, UT, to CA then AZ, NM and home. Kids are celebrating with cupcakes.

Attached Files:

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

Help your fellow Rvers, Post lots of reviews on your camping adventures!

Were a friendly bunch here, questions or experiences to share this is the place!

See you on the open road! :cool:

Mike

westlaker likes this.
  3. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where's our cupcakes? I like sprinkles.

Take lots of pictures. This will be a "Great Adventure" you'll want to relive.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Cupcakes??? I don't want no cupcakes, sprinkles or no sprinkles. Invite me along and I'll take a nice stack of homemade pancakes, a rasher or three of lean bacon, two eggs over medium, some wheat toast and some of the good coffee you will be pouring into my mug............:D Hey, doesn't hurt to ask, so I be asking.......

Have a great adventure. This will be something your kids will remember all their lives for sure. And as mdcamping mentioned write reviews of the campgrounds and RV parks you stay at and let the rest of us know how your trip is going. If you need any suggestions as to where to stay in those states you will be in, let us know also as there are some really great places and you will get all sorts of recommendations, plus you can read reviews of course right here on the RVPR's site............

Safe and happy travels..........BankShot (aka Terry)

5. fanrgs

fanrgs
    Expand Collapse

Some of our favorite cool, shaded summertime campgrounds in NM are Sugarite Canyon State Park near Raton (FHU or water & electric) and Juniper Campground (no hookups) at Bandelier National Monument near Los Alamos. Sugarite has lots of wildlife--deer, elk, black bears, wild turkeys, and thousands of hummingbirds (bring a hummingbird feeder and the kids will be fascinated for hours!). The FREE Bradbury Science Museum at Los Alamos is perfect for kids of all ages, with a whole interactive room just for the younger kids to explore.

Near Ouray, Colorado, we love Ridgway State Park's Elk Ridge campground, but not the other two. Other Colorado campground favorites are Golden Gate Canyon, Mueller, Rifle Falls, and Colorado River (Fruita unit) state parks (FHU or electric-only), McPhee Reservoir's Juniper Campground (paved 30A electric sites), and the National Forest campgrounds with electricity along CO 145 between Dolores and Telluride (Cayton, House Creek, & Mavreeso cgs). McPhee is perfect for visiting Mesa Verde NP and the Anasazi Museum next door (lots of interactive activities for kids at this museum). The Fruita campground is perfect for a drive through Colorado National Monument and the nearby Dinosaur Journey Museum (if your daughter is into dinosaurs).

In Utah, the North campground at Bryce Canyon NP is nice and shady, but no hookups. The electric-only sites at the Watchman Campground at Zion are too crammed together for our taste. Capital Reef NP's Fruita Campground is nicely shaded, but has no hookups. A very nice campground between Capital Reef and Bryce is Kodachrome Basin State Park (FHU, some shaded and some not), with lots of scenic hikes and an amazing amount of privacy between sites for a state park campground. Near Moab is the incredibly picturesque Dead Horse Point State Park campground with electric hookups, but be sure to fill your water tank before arrival as they have limited water in the park. And driving UT 12 between Bryce and Capital Reef/Arches can be as thrilling as visiting the parks themselves!

Just some ideas in case you haven't already gotten reservations for the entire two months! Sounds like a great trip either way.