Winter Camping

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by blueswade, Jan 5, 2007.

1. blueswade

blueswade
    Expand Collapse

Since there is little or no snow on the east coast so far this winter, I'm considering hauling the 5th wheel from N. FL to camp in Colorado (late Feb. or March) near a ski resort. Any suggestions for a campground off I70 or am I crazy? :)

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Blueswade, if you are considering Breckenridge, Tiger Run Rv Park is a popular place. Somewhat on the pricey side but very nice. It is just a few miles south of I-70. It is also fairly close if you prefer to ski at Keystone or Copper Mountain. I live in Colorado and I can tell you, we have plenty of snow!!!

3. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Jan 5 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]5694[/snapback]

Blueswade, if you are considering Breckenridge, Tiger Run Rv Park is a popular place. Somewhat on the pricey side but very nice. It is just a few miles south of I-70. It is also fairly close if you prefer to ski at Keystone or Copper Mountain. I live in Colorado and I can tell you, we have plenty of snow!!!

Cheryl, I was thinking about you knowing from past posts you're from Denver and was wondering how you're doing with all that snow??? I just saw a report that there was an avalanche on I-40...unbelievable.

I've only visited Colorado in the summer months and was totally afraid of driving on the mountain roads....I can't even fathom of driving on them in the snow, LOL!!!

Here in western Pennsylvania we've had about a total snow accumulation of about three inches and most of that was in October!!! Over Christmas and New Year's it was like 60 degrees.
    It's bad for the ski resorts in the area, but now that Christmas is over I don't mind...I hope it stays this way until we start camping again in April, LOL!!!

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

5. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

It sounds like BBear's weather has been similar to ours in southwestern Ontario. We had a "snow day" early in December - quite exciting because it was the first time in about 30 years that the schools were all closed due to snow! Since then the temperatures have been warm and rainy - until today, where we've had a mix of snow and rain off and on. My youngest son, who will be 12 next week, got a snowboard for Christmas and he is quite anxious to get boarding. SO, even though my dream of a white Christmas didn't come to fruition, I'm still hoping for snow over the next couple of months. Really unusual weather for us!

Cheryl, after looking at the website for Tiger Run, I decided I needed to plan a trip to Colorado in the next couple of years - however, after reading your last post about travelling in the mountains I think I've changed my mind;)! We would be towing a 36ft fifth wheel - would it really be that bad? We've travelled the mountains in BC, but not with an RV behind us - even then it was terrifying at times, and to top it off we were very lucky to not be killed on a couple of occasions by people trying to pass when they shouldn't. I love heading either to the mountains, or ocean (or both) for holidays, so I'm sure we'll head out your way some day.

6. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

If you are accustomed to driving on them, they probably wouldn't bother you. Eisenhower tunnel is probably a mile long (not sure of the exact length but it is long) and as soon as you come out of it on the west side you start going down. Big trucks have to stay in the right lane on the decline and they are generally moving pretty slow and there are runaway truck ramps, just in case. Greg does fine with it and it doesn't bother him at all - I am just a scaredy cat. We are always flat towing a car - he just takes it slow. They are not narrow roads, that particular stretch of road is 3 or 4 lanes (each direction) wide, I just don't care for the steepness because most of the people are flying and drive like idiots. If you stay in the truck lane and take it slow, I don't think it would be any problem at all. Even though I have lived in Colorado the past 15 yrs., I prefer flat land - give me an ocean and a beach anyday!!!

7. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Glad to hear you're alright, Cheryl....it's finally snowing here! Only a dusting so far....but it's nice to see a little of the white stuff!!!

I hate when the snowplows come by the driveway and block our driveway and sidewalk with snow again.

8. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Now I'm really in trouble - I'm terrified of tunnels!!!!

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Cheryl,

We really laughed when we read your account of driving on mountain roads. It sounds so much like us--only I can't go to the back of the motor home or I will get car sick. I can't even close my eyes. I have to watch the road which does not help matters at all. My husband is a great driver and does a lot to help me feel more comfortable. I would like to say I have gotten better over the years, but that would not be true. Our maiden voyage a few years ago took us over the causeway out to Port Aransas. There was NO shoulder and when I looked down all I saw was water. That almost ended our dreams of the RVing life. But I survived, and I'm glad because we are really having some fun times that shouldn't be missed because I'm jittery. But if you ever come up with a way not to be a white knuckle rider , please let me know.

10. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Reading about all the snow you guys are having really makes me enjoy the 80 degrees we had yesterday in Florida. Of course, we have problems down here, too. Just last week, an alligator crawled out of the canal back of our home and started eyeing my small dog. I had to take a rake and hit it over the head because it was not acting normally. I think it was a case of a reptile dysfunction!

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Good one, Beastdriver! My husband really laughed when I read it to him.

I have some more comments about being scared while driving on mountain and other roads. However, that is no longer about RV parks so I am switching my post to General Chat.

12. kw5kw

kw5kw
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,

I read this:

"Yes BBear, we have had more than our share. I actually live in a suburb of Denver, which is closer to the foothills."

My daughter just flew back to Colorado yesterday. She had to fly down Saturday for her aunt's funeral on Monday and back to work today.

She lives in Golden, just off Co. 6 and is only one block from being the last street before the mountain.

She said that the snow in her front yard is almost to her arm pits, and she's Six feet tall.

That's more than the DFW area's had in several centuries!

Russ

13. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kw5kw @ Jan 10 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]5768[/snapback]
    Cheryl,

My daughter just flew back to Colorado yesterday. She had to fly down Saturday for her aunt's funeral on Monday and back to work today.

She lives in Golden, just off Co. 6 and is only one block from being the last street before the mountain.

She said that the snow in her front yard is almost to her arm pits, and she's Six feet tall.

That's more than the DFW area's had in several centuries!

Russ

Russ, makes me miss Dallas even more!!! We would get an occassional snow or ice storm when we lived there, but not very often. And Beastdriver, we actually got up to 60 degrees today, so had a small amount of melting - of course, we are forecast to be hit with another storm tomorrow and temps in the minuses for the weekend, so any water will turn to ice again, but it was nice to see that high temp number on my car's thermometer. I love Florida but not sure I would want to tangle with any gators. I bet our 2 malteses would be just about meal size for one of those fella's...