Newbie - Advice on de-winterizing & sanitizing?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by NateMate, Feb 24, 2023.

1. NateMate

NateMate
    Expand Collapse

Hey everyone! Nate here, I’ll keep this super short.

I just bought a 2007 Forest River Georgetown 350DS/SE. I am going to be de-winterizing and sanitizing it tomorrow. It’s currently at a full hookup campsite, but nothing is hooked up yet.

I am hoping for advice and procedures on exactly how I should proceed, because I am mostly lost right now haha

I am a bit confused on wether I need to start with the fresh water tank, the city water system, the water heater, etc etc. I have a brand new hose, water filters, regulator, sanitizing solution, etc etc. trying to make sure I don’t cross contaminate anything

thanks in advance friends!

Attached Files:

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum!! i will tell you my proceedures and others might chime in with slightly different ways of doing things.

I generally hook up to city water and give all the lines a quick rinse to get rid of the pink stuff. then my system has a way to "suck" water from a bucket, so i mix up a bleach and water mixture and run this through all the lines. i also let a small amount go into the water heater. i usually let it sit for about an hour, then run fresh water through the lines until i dont get bleachy water. i open the tap on the water heater and run a hose in there for a moment to rinse that out.

hope that info helps.

keep posting and adding reviews.

NateMate likes this.
  3. NateMate

NateMate
    Expand Collapse

thanks! My rig has a hose attached to the water pump that is used to suck in antifreeze if needed, sounds the same as what you are describing. It also has an on demand water heater, no tank. I will definitely follow your advice!

Paythebill likes this.
  4. campingantsweetrolls

campingantsweetrolls
    Expand Collapse

I find the best way to go is to start with the fresh water tank, then work your way through the rest - city water system, water heater, etc. You don’t want to be cross-contaminating anything, so it’s best to get that taken care of first. Good luck!