Camping In Williamsburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by JayFeather, May 1, 2007.

1. JayFeather

JayFeather
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone camped at American Heritage RV Park in Williamsburg, VA? I'm considering this campground for a trip this summer, but would like to hear from previous campers. Are the sites spacious and are they slightly wooded or open meadow type sites?

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Jay,

We spent some time at this park years ago and found it to work well. You will find some slightly wooded sites and more open meadow sites here. The park is very large, roads were OK, sites were level with room from site to site. Very low noise here at night. Great place for kids to run wild and play. Check other post on this site for more information.

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

John Blue discribed it right. We stayed there many times and they have always bbeen pleasant.

4. 4 J's

4 J's
    Expand Collapse

This was the first park we stayed in after purchasing our trailer. Arrived in the rain, and set up under a tall canopy of trees. Water run off was no problem. Next day played in the two large fields, let the dogs wear themselves out in the large dog run and went for a hike on their walking loop. Pool wasn't opened yet, but checked it out anyway and it looked tidy and clean (in March!). Quiet and relaxing is how I'd describe it...oh, and managed to squeeze in some shopping at the very nearby outlets.

5. rouphous

rouphous
    Expand Collapse

Last year I was in the area (w/o RV) and spent most of a day checking out the area parks for a stay this year (family reunion). American Heritage seemed like the most capable of handling big rigs (I've got a 35' fiver), a good portion of the sites are shady, and the remaining sites are a meadow like setting. Sites looked level, some with concrete pads, others are gravel. Office was friendly gave me a park map, and invited me to drive thru the park. Entrance is on a small road that looks more challenging than any of the roads in the park. Kid and pet friendly.

I'll be there Aug 3-12, when are you planning on being in the area?

6. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

We used American Heritage two years ago as our base for touring Williamsburg. The owners/staff were very friendly and helpful and provided a lot of information regarding places to visit, eat, etc. The sites were mostly open, many of them with concrete pads. We had a 25 ft TT at the time, and had no difficulty maneuvering around the campground. We were there midweek and it was very quiet. Enjoy your trip!

7. JayFeather

JayFeather
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rouphous @ May 21 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]7097[/snapback]

Last year I was in the area (w/o RV) and spent most of a day checking out the area parks for a stay this year (family reunion). American Heritage seemed like the most capable of handling big rigs (I've got a 35' fiver), a good portion of the sites are shady, and the remaining sites are a meadow like setting. Sites looked level, some with concrete pads, others are gravel. Office was friendly gave me a park map, and invited me to drive thru the park. Entrance is on a small road that looks more challenging than any of the roads in the park. Kid and pet friendly.

8. JayFeather

JayFeather
    Expand Collapse

We'll be there beginning July 23 for about five nights. I think we're going to go with Newport News Park Campground. It'll be a little further drive into Willimasburg, Jamestown etc. but we prefer more wooded campsites and it looks like Newport has that. We'll have to sacrifice the pool though. Newport doesn't have a swimming pool.

9. tmbaty

tmbaty
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JayFeather @ May 23 2007, 11:01 PM) [snapback]7110[/snapback]

QUOTE(rouphous @ May 21 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]7097[/snapback]

Newport News Park is wonderful! We stay there quite often for a weekend get away. But beware there is no sewer!. The dump station is very clean though. The park is very quiet and we love it.

10. tinybluetj

tinybluetj
    Expand Collapse

We were there about two months ago. They were in the process of replacing and/ or adding new concrete parking pads on the sites (VERY NICE!!!!) and re-doing the bath houses (not that we needed them, but it was noce to see). It was a nice park. Can't say enough about the staff!
    We thought we had hot water heater issues, and the owner of the park came to "check it out" so that we did not have to pay the fee for the repair people to come out to us. It turns out that we just did not know how to work the heater :blink: (It was a brand new trailer!). I would stay there again!