Route help needed...

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Greg Aaron, Jun 29, 2024 at 11:49 AM.

1. Greg Aaron

Greg Aaron
    Expand Collapse

Hello all, we are planning a trip for July 2025 thru Aug 2025. Departing Las Vegas and heading to Couer D' Alene and then to Glacier National Park.
    We have a Class A Newmar Ventana and we tow a Jeep. Getting to Couer is no problem, but we have no idea which roads will be the best and safest to take from Couer to West Glacier. On the map it does not look as if there are any major highways between the 2 places and we don't want to be on a road which is not suited to our coach. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Regards, and safe travels.

Greg

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I did a quick Google maps for your trip, and it looks like it reccomends you back track from Cour 'd alain to get to Glacier. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area can chime in with a better route.

Greg Aaron likes this.
  3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I really don't see much choice except to go back on I-90 to St. Regis, MT, and then north from there on Highway 135 and then several other highways before reaching West Glacier. I also plotted your route on RV LIFE Trip Wizard, which recommended the same route. Our coach is 38 feet and we tow a Jeep, and about 15 years ago we drove that route south from West Glacier to St. Regis, and I do not recall any problem, but things can change. Maybe someone who has been over that route more recently will respond.

Greg Aaron likes this.
  4. Greg Aaron

Greg Aaron
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your input. I was hoping to take Hwy 2 north of Sandpoint. I guess we will backtrack and stay on the major hwy's as much as possible.