Big Rigs / Loop Roads

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by MaconMemories, Jul 11, 2024.

1. MaconMemories

MaconMemories
    Expand Collapse

I have a new to me 2021 Keystone Raptor 5th wheel TH. It's 40'. I recently was looking at some COE camgrounds on Lake Hartwell in SC and saw on their website they had both back in and drive through spots that would take 40'. I was in the area and thought I'd ride through and check out a few of the parks.

Some of the parks identifed spaces as 40' pull through but I ran into issues with either extremely tight loops that would be a difficult turn to make with a 40' or else "pull through" spots that required a 90 degree turn when you exited the spot with pine trees on both sides of the drive. I didn't think there was any way my truck and a 40' would clear them.

Have others run into situations where it said the spot was right for their camper but the road or site was not conducive to enter and egress?

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum MaconMemories

over all most sites are doable with the listed site length the park provides, I've come across a few times where T-ed up parked trucks, trees, road ruts, rocks etc have made backing in more eventful... ;)

IMO larger RV's require more home work, google earth, reading the reviews here and a simple phone call to the park helps decrease those type of problems :cool:

Mike

#2 mdcamping, Jul 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
  3. Airstreamer Mike

Airstreamer Mike
    Expand Collapse

I have a 42' motorhome. If I have never stayed at the campground, I always disconnect my Jeep and drive thru. Trees and potholes are my issues up to the site. Then checking for level and length issues as well as hook ups. Found some in past with water on one side and sewer power on the other. Always good to check in advance.